SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am starting this topic so that webmasters can communicate about what works and what doesn't. I personally operate a free advertising service, InstantSites.com, with thousands of members so I hope that I will be able to answer some questions and learn from this newly created topic. Go ahead and post away!

Sincerely,

David Seaman
    InstantSites CEO http://www.instantsites.com

Go ahead, get a few hundred hits today: http://www.instantsites.com/upgrade.html $50

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that the point of the whole forum? lol

I find that only well-made banner exchanges with good infrastucture work.

I find that reciprocal links work well when added strategically.

I find that spam works if you want a lawsuit and 100,000 mad people.

I find that free e-mail addresses (NinjaMan877@[aol.com][hotmail.com]) don't work for professional Websites.

I find that Linkbot from Watchfire software _works_ extremely well.

I find that discussing topics with other Webmasters helps you see other sides of the market.

I find that 90% of articles are repeats of ones that have already been written. (i.e. Top 10 Web Design Tips...E-mail Marketing...Top Ten _____...et cetera)

I find that Wrox, O'Reilly, and Sam's Teach Yourself ___ in ___ [days][hours][minutes] work _very_ well.

A little Top 8 List

------------------
    Think you're running the server "is 5" and an Asp is only a snake? Get with the times!
    Active Server Pages dominate.
    Soon to come: Aspology.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a website that is focused on the lakes in SC. I want to generate an income for all my work & it's real slow to start. With my site giving information focused to people comming to SC what's my best way to generate income. The banner ads I have seen that rotate won't work since I want fishing related links only. Any suggestions?

Michael Martin www.sclakes.com

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting hits for a new website, what worked for me. How I went from 0 to 15000 visitors/mo in a few months, without having a product to sell, no advertising, and no money:

1) Have enough good content to keep people at your site
    2) Something about your site needs to be unique
    3) Good design is important. I don't want to get into design tips and tricks and instructions, etc, so I'll give one hint: Specificy fonts. I HATE going to sites and seeing my default "Times New Roman". Verdana, Arial, etc are good. My original website design itself won two design awards from those little award sites without even being submitted. It also won a WebbieWorld Pick award for a week, which generated an extra 10/week visitors, which was a lot when I started (www.webbieworld.com).
    4) Submit your site to the major search engines while remaining conscious of their rules (i.e. AltaVista requests no more than one submission a day of pages within a site, etc) and make sure you're listed in Yahoo! or at least Inktomi (the spillover engine).
    5) Don't litter your pages with things like LinkExchange and 3 types of graphical counters. What seemed to work for me was making my site SEEM like a huge, highly-trafficed site even though it had little traffic. Nobody actually knew how many people came to my site.
    6) Am I on 5 or 6 now? Stupid reply box is too short. Hmm let's think. I had good meta tags, and my site was filled with good content and was neatly designed. It ranked well in the search engines, I still get most of my traffic from them. I use thecounter.com along with access log analyzing software together to track what search engines give me the most traffic and I optimize my pages for them before submitting.

That's all for now,
    Dan Grossman (webmaster@websitegoodies.com)

[This message has been edited by goodies (edited April 16, 2000).]