User Tag List

Thread: Need A New Host

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking Need A New Host

I am currently hosting with BlueHost. I have no problems with them except that now I need more for my websites than a basic hosting package. I need a VPS.

I need:

20+ GB of Disk Space
    256+ MB of Ram
    1000+ GB of Bandwidth per month.

Spending Under $35/month

I have search and all I could come up with was SurfSpeedy which had tons of bad reviews. I just found Gate.com but it has the same problems.

Just looking to see if anyone has any ideas for me and oh yeah I don't want to spend much!

Smoothice

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have a tough time getting 20 GB storage and 1000 GB under 35/month. Any service that offers that kind of bandwidth for that price is going to receive TONS of bad reviews. Someone takes a hit from that bandwidth, with those kind of companies you run into the customers taking the hit.

Is the bandwidth the big issue? You only said you need "more than a basic package". What exactly do you mean by that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothice View Post
    I am currently hosting with BlueHost. I have no problems with them except that now I need more for my websites than a basic hosting package. I need a VPS.

I need:

20+ GB of Disk Space
    256+ MB of Ram
    1000+ GB of Bandwidth per month.

Spending Under $35/month

I have search and all I could come up with was SurfSpeedy which had tons of bad reviews. I just found Gate.com but it has the same problems.

Just looking to see if anyone has any ideas for me and oh yeah I don't want to spend much!

Smoothice
    hi, i am using bluehost for more than 3 months, and its a good hosting as i know as well.

for vps...thats little low in budget for a good vps.
    for a good one, i will recommend hostgator semi-dedicated server.... double the cost.

for your budget, have to take a look at lunarpages. $39 vps. fit your need exactly.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK I hae been doing some more research and found 1on1 for around 40 for what I need. Anyone have any bad experiences with them?

Smoothice

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy ldcdc's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main problem I see here is the ability of that kind of VPS to push that amount of data transfer. Unless you're offering relatively big files for download, I don't really see it happen. (assuming you actually use anywhere near that amount)
    HostPeek.com - budget hosts, compared
    CouponsNexus.com - web hosting coupons

Ultra Cheap Hosts | Web Hosting Reviews Forums

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is video files and such so file sizes range from 1 to 15 megs. So far this month I have used 50 gigs and My site is just starting. I can always incorporate additional bandwidth servers later but would like to know that I have room to grow as that server hard drive space and bandwidth would allow for a few months expansion before having to possibly upgrade again.

Smoothice

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always find an endless amount of bandwidth if you're willing to pay for it. You don't even need to switch hosts. Like you said, setup download servers on other web hosts and just use those.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For that money you could go with a semi dedicated, but the bandwidth will be an issue.
    ►File Services◄
    Premium High Bandwidth File Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a VPS I highly recommend http://www.powervps.com/
    Never had a problem with them, performance and support is top notch

Edit: Overread that you need 1000+ GB bandwidth. A dedicated server would suit you better then.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in the UK I can definatly recomend a2b2.com. I have a vps with them and I never had a support ticket that took more then 10 mins to answer. and I dont a lot of tickets lol

people also say a lot of good stuff about A Small Orange:

http://www.asmallorange.com/services/vps/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have nice VPS hosting from A2hosting.com. Their VPS solution starts from $24.95 per month.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest you do another thing. Get a smaller vps for just the website without the video files and get a shared account with a lot of bandwith and put all the videos there. Test their connection 1st as it will be important for you.
    ►File Services◄
    Premium High Bandwidth File Hosting

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnet View Post
    You'll have a tough time getting 20 GB storage and 1000 GB under 35/month. Any service that offers that kind of bandwidth for that price is going to receive TONS of bad reviews. Someone takes a hit from that bandwidth, with those kind of companies you run into the customers taking the hit.

Is the bandwidth the big issue? You only said you need "more than a basic package". What exactly do you mean by that?
    Well, HostICan has a VPS plan for $44.95 per month, with more storage and bandwidth than that. They do not have bad reviews that I can find for that service.

My personal experience has been exemplary with them, from uptime to support.
    Peace,
    Gene Steinberg
    www.theparacast.com
    The foregoing comment has been censored by WHT.