SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

checking file permissions using PHP

I'm making a script that searches for files online, much like google images for finding pictures. However, much of the time, even if I find a link to an image, I get a 404 error or a file permission error; I'm "forbidden" to access this file. How can I check using php function if this file is accessible?

I gathered as a test a list of a few working URLs and a few non-working URLs, and I tried using if (file_exists()) to check if they existed, but all of them seemed not to exist =\ Then, I tried using if (is_readable()) hoping that if there weren't enough permissions to let me access the file (such as a jpg), it would let me know. But, this didn't work either as it showed ALL the files as working normally (even the broken ones).

How can I escape the files automatically that can't be accessed?

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "file_exists()" and "is_readable()" are really designed to be used on your own server's filesystem rather than on remote URL's.

You may be better off reading the headers the remote server is returning when you try to access the file. If it contains an error code you can stop right there. Also, the "Content-type" header should confirm that it is some kind of image.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.get-headers.php