SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suggested Security Feature for PHP - reaally simple solution to shell attacks et al

Hey All,

Like every sysadmin I am concerned about php shell attacks - I have many layers of security in place for mail and web but it occurred to me that there is an incredibly simple way to thwart almost all php injection - but it requires a modification to the PHP library.

The concept? "validation tokens".

A token can be placed in the PHP.INI file, http.conf container or htaccess, can be in one or all of those places and might look like this:

validation_token=AABBCCDDEEFF

Without this token at the head of a PHP script, the script would not run. Again an example might be:

<?
    #token:AABBCCDDEEFF

If this were in place you could choose to secure any or all servers, files, directories etc against "foreign" scripts.

Would this be a PITA to switch to - probably
    Would it cause some problems along the way - almost certainly
    Would it prevent anyone but authorized users from executing PHP scripts and provide an almost infinite layer of protection for all servers / clients / folders / files... I think so.

Please feel free to shoot holes in this idea - if it stands up to a bit of scrutiny I'd love to suggest it as a feature to the PHP team - or maybe someone can come up with a patch or mod.

Steve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider this code
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    #token:AABBCCDDEEFF

require($_GET['page']);
    ?>
    Normally this would be a big security hole if the $_GET value isn't checked...someone could easily include a remote script.

Unless I misunderstand your idea I don't think the token would solve anything (if remote includes are still enabled). The local script has provided a valid token, and now the dangerous, remote code is just getting executed in the global scope.

include et al are pretty much like copying and pasting the code directly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cranial-bore, I think clickbuild meant that all scripts (so the ones which aren't requested directly, but included as well) should have the token

Idea is nice, but it's not very practical: would you edit all script files to contain the required token? Sure, this could be automated to some extent, like to auto-add token for all local scripts on the server level, but remote would still have to be edited manually.

I still think that the best way to protect from "PHP injection" is to make sure that you include the right thing