SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Color Correction?

I am having watercolour paintings drumb scanned to create digital proofs. I am told some color correction may be necessary. I have been given 2 quotes for the scans, one with color correction and one without.

I have experience in Photoshop 6 but do not know what is involved in color correcting. Can anyone give me an overview and/or point me to references for this process?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will find it very hard to the colour correction yourself without a very expensive colour true screen. Also knowledge of what proofing system the images are going to be run on.

You might be better getting the company who are actually running off the proofs to do the CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. If you are going to pay for drum scanning, you might as well pay for color correction.

On the other hand, if you have a quality monitor that's correctly calibrated, you could do it yourself.

curves

spyder

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When scanning and color correcting artwork, the scanner operator needs to know what the final production method will be and (for print) the proofer/press specifications in order to produce a file that will reproduce to satisfaction. If you're using this art for web, then you might be able to do it yourself; if you're printing digital proof off a plotter or Iris or Matchprint, or if this is for offset presses, or if you're going as far as Pantone Hexachrome printing (for high-end art reproduction) they all require different setting and color control.You won't want to take a chance; get the professional to do it right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It appears you only have rudementry knowledge of Photoshop, and I agree that if you are paying the cash for the expensive drum scans, you may as well ensure you get the very best results (especially if they are producing prints too) and get them to do the colour correction.

They will be working in a 'closed loop', meaning that their displays will be calibrated to their output devices, ensuring consistent and accurate colour reproduction. If you correct the images, you can bet your bottom dollar you will not get quite what you are after when printed.

However, I wouldn't pay too much for colour correction work, for an experienced artworker this is fairly rudementry work. I would estimate that it would take about 10-15 mins per hi-res image (or under) to do this kind of work... so do the maths! If you are having a number of images done, I would try and negotiate a discount-especially as you will be paying top dollar for the drum scans!! If they want your business (and it's pretty un-demanding work for them) I would def try and negotiate for the scan AND colour correction.
    Jonnya Freelance Creative
    UK Freelance designer and web developer
    Website | Portfolio | Photoshop Tips