User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question JavaScript Anthology vs. Simply JavaScript

What's the difference between these 2 books?

He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should compare them on Amazon.com. That way you get reviews and ratings as well as a description of each.

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there are no reviews on amazon for simply javascript yet, probably due to it being fairly new. I would check back often if you can't decide.

It appears to me that Simply Javascript is for the complete new comer to the topic (me) where as Anthology suggests it collects popular use of Javascript up to the date it was written. I've recently ordered Simply Javascript. A book review may appear in time..

Have you downloaded the sample chapters geargolum?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't want to link bait, but I have added a review of Simply Javascript to Amazon.com. However, I have not read Javascript Anthology so I cannot give a comparison to that book.

I will say this: Simply Javascript is an excellent read. The code used in the book is top notch - from start to finish. No shortcuts are used, in fact, they aren't usually even discussed. They stick with object literal notation and continue to build from there. Aside from the quality code, the illustrations are some of the best I have seen in a book. If you have read DOM Scripting, this book is more geared towards that writing style.

Some of the other books out there teach more advanced Javascript, including history and miscellaneous libraries (PPK on Javascript, Pro Javascript Techniques, DHTML Utopia, etc). This book takes a different approach than those books, so they are all good to have...after you read Simply Javascript.

So - I hope the review helps - It is definitely worth the purchase!