SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Php installation help

I am learning to install some different scripts using free webserver bythost.com... I have just uploaded the CCmail script but it seems the installation instruction is not complete... I cannot find a file where I will enter my MySQL server details...

here's the Installation Instruction...

Installation guide for ccMail

1. First of all, You have to know that CcMail (like any other php script) can't work without a server! So, if you want to send Emails from your own PC, you have to install a web server (like Apache), and PHP.
    Otherwise, if you have web hosting through another company you have to make sure the server has PHP. If you don't know, create a file called phpinfo.php. The only code in there should be:

<?php

// Show all information, defaults to INFO_ALL
    phpinfo();
    ?>

2. Make sure that pages in which you want to include the Subscription form have .php extension! You don't have to worry about page contents: nothing will change. If you don't want to do so, you can use the default Subscription page (ccmail/index.php): it is easier, and everything will work fine. To view a page with .php extension, you can 1)drag it in you preferred browser, or 2)install a web server, put that page in the right directory (normally var/www, or www/ for Linux and wwwroot/ for Windows, there are tons of possibilities), and view it at http://localhost/page_name.php, that is a lot better. If you have a site in hosting, you have only to change pages extension (and update hyperlinks). Everything will work like before.

3. If the previous steps are correct, extract the file you have downloaded to a folder. As you can see, there is a folder named ccmail.
    First of all, you have to edit config.php with your username/password. You can add more than one user.
    Then, you have to upload the ccmail folder to your web server.
    If you experience some problems, like permissions denying directories, try to chmod EVERYTHING inside data/ directory, including the folder itself, to 775, or 777 (chmod 777 ./data).
    If you have a site in hosting, open your preferred ftp manager and drag the folder into the main directory of your site, that is the same directory of your index.php file.

4. Add the following line to any page in which you want to display the Subscription form:

<?php include "ccmail/include.php";?>

You can see an example in ccmail/index.php. If the Subscription form is too big for your pages, or you would like a more compact form, you can put in your pages a simple HTML form that redirects your users to the complete one:

<form method="get" action="ccmail/index.php">
    <b>Insert Email Address/b><br>
    <input name="address" size="15">
    <input type="submit" value="Go">
    </form>

This form redirects your Users to CcMail's index.php. If you don't want so, create a page with the complete form and change "action" field to point to that page.
    Here's how the complete form and the reduced one, respectively, look like:

Complete Form Compact Form

I assumed that ccmail folder is in the same directory of that pages. If not, edit the previous lines with the right path.

5. If you open www.yoursite.com/ccmail/admin.php with your browser, you will be able to manage users, create groups, send mails and so on.
    Any comment?... I cannot complete the installation with such guide..there is no file where I could enter MySQL server details...

Please help..

Thanks

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What type of MySQL server details are you wanting to install ? Once you have a working MySQL database you simply need to connect to the database, you do not need to provide any type of server details.
    Computers and Fire ...
    In the hands of the inexperienced or uneducated,
    the results can be disastrous.
    While the professional can tame, master even conquer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, in the config.php files, there is no field when I can write the Db name, user, and password. but this script could not run w/o a db,,.. non also in other files...

hard to explain my problem...

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MySQL Database Name: MUST CREATE IN CPANEL
    MySQL Server: SEE THE CPANEL

You need to :
    1.) Create a database
    2.) If the MySQL installation is on the same machine the host will be 'localhost'
    Computers and Fire ...
    In the hands of the inexperienced or uneducated,
    the results can be disastrous.
    While the professional can tame, master even conquer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by byron3@earthlink View Post
    MySQL Database Name: MUST CREATE IN CPANEL
    MySQL Server: SEE THE CPANEL

You need to :
    1.) Create a database
    2.) If the MySQL installation is on the same machine the host will be 'localhost'
    I have created everything but still It does not work....