Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crabby80 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Dr Livingston, just need to get my head around it

Blueyon, are modules seperate elements of the page IE header, news artcles etc?
    From what I understand modules are small pieces of HTML that make up parts of the a page and can have some functionality.

I normally have a header, footer and then have boxes down the sides.

Just did a quick update adding mail and session classes to the library.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by blueyon; Jul 19, 2007 at 06:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Blueyon

I'm a bit of a noob with MVC so sorry about all these questions, It's just I find your example nice and easy to understand..............well "easier"

I'm trying to incorporate a latest news module, but I seem to be having trouble with the model part, would it be something like the following???

PHP Code:
    class ModuleNews extends Controller {
        function 
    fetch() {

$model $this->locator->createModel('news');

$articles $model->latest_news();

$view $this->locator->get('view');

$view->set('articles',$articles;)
            return 
    $view->fetch('module/news.tpl');*/
        }
    }

class 
    ModelNews extends Model {
        function 
    __construct($locator) {

$this->locator $locator;
        }

function 
    latest() {
             return 
    $this->getRows("SELECT * FROM news");
        }

Do you have a simple example??

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have got have got some points worng on the model.

You could do it like this:

PHP Code:
    class ModuleNews extends Controller {
        function 
    fetch() {

$model_news $this->locator->createModel('news');

$view->set('articles'$model_news->getLatest());

return 
    $view->fetch('module/news.tpl');
        }
    }

class 
    ModelNews extends Model {
        function 
    getLatest() {
            return 
    $this->getRows("SELECT * FROM news");
        }

if you add a constructor in the extended model you need to re-add:

$this->database =& $locator->get('database');

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ahh this could be the problem I'm having, thanks for your help blueyon

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't remember where I saw the example that was my 'eureka!', but here's what I go by:

This is from an encapsulated module perspective (1 module has 1 controller class, 1 model class and 1 view class). There are other ways, if you have one model for news, one model for categories, etc, that can make that a different balance, but mostly the same rules apply.

The controller should be the class/object that is called when opening or running the module. It should handle:
    - the access code: is the user allowed to see this page?
    - the input validation code: is the supplied data correct?
    - selecting the correct models and views, based on incoming data (in the example below, incoming data is the function name which is named like pages, this is not necessarily the best way, but it still shows what a controller does)
    The controller is the access logic part.

PHP Code:
    class Controller {
      protected 
    $view null;
      protected 
    $model null;

public function 
    __construct($name) {

$namemodel $name "Model";

$this->model = new $namemodel();

$nameview $name "View";

$this->view = new $nameview($this->model);
      }
    }

class 
    PageController extends Controller {
      public function 
    doMain() {

$this->view->viewMain();
      }

public function 
    doAdmin() {
        if (
    $_SESSION['access'] != ACCESS_ADMIN) {

// redirect to no access page

}

$this->view->viewAdmin();
      }

public function 
    doViewCategories() {

$this->model->loadCategories();

$this->view->viewCategories();
      }

public function 
    doAddCategory() {
        if (!
    preg_match("/^[a-zA-Z0-9 _\-]+$/"$_POST['category_name'])) {

$this->doViewCategories();
          return;
        }

$this->model->sqlAddCategory($_POST['category_name']);

$this->view->viewAddCategorySuccess();
      }

//..

The model handles the calculations. That is, everything that has to do with storing/retreiving data or calculating shipping costs, whatever. Anything that is modifying data (setters) is called FROM THE CONTROLLER. Anything that sends prepared data for output (getters) is called FROM THE VIEW.
    The model is the business logic part.

PHP Code:
    class Model {

// something that may be valid for all your model classes. i have stuff, but it's very specific to my apps.
    }

class 
    PageModel extends Model {
      public function 
    loadCategories() {

$this->data['categories'] = $database->sql("load categories blabla");
      }
      public function 
    loadProfileData() {

$this->data['profile'] = $database->sql("load profile data blabla");
      }

// both the following methods should check that the data exists first.

public function getCategories() {
        return 
    $this->data['categories'];
      }
      public function 
    getProfileData() {
        return 
    $this->data['profile'];
      }

//..

The view handles the output. It can retreive data that is stored in the model class, but it cannot tell the model class to get more data. If the data has not been prepared after a call from the controller class, then it is not available to the view. Which shows that the controller should know what the view needs. The model does not have to know. The view then formats the data correctly and sends it to the browser.
    The view does not have to do the formatting itself, but the controller only knows about the view, not any template system or anything, so all data is sent to the view, and must be handled from there.
    The view is the presentation logic part.

PHP Code:
    class View {
      protected 
    $model null;

public function 
    __construct(&$model) {

$this->model =& $model;
      }
    }

class 
    PageView extends View {
      public function 
    viewMain() {
        echo 
    "main content for module, no retreived data";
      }

public function 
    viewAdmin() {

$profile $this->model->getProfileData(); // this should throw an error or an exception, as the controller did not call any model method in 'doAdmin()', so the model has no data available.

echo $profile['name']; // ... etc

}

public function 
    viewCategories() {

$categories $this->model->getCategories(); // works!
        // format categories into a neat table and output

foreach ($categories as $cat) {

// format table row
          // echo formatted table row, etc

}

// also output form for adding a new category

}

//..

It's possible to follow the acces, business and presentation rules pretty strictly. If you have any of the wrong logic in the wrong place, then you're doing something wrong (no shyte? ). Before you start writing code, think about what goes where. Everything has its place

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After just glancing at your code i'm sure models should not touch views. Yet you have a model in the view class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A controller receives input and issues instructions. It shouldn't pass data to view objects. If you decide to change the data displayed in a view you'd also have to edit the controller. It's up to you to decide if that's likely to be an issue though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyon View Post
    After just glancing at your code i'm sure models should not touch views. Yet you have a model in the view class.
    The model variable in the view class is there so that the view class is able to retreive data from it. It is a pointer variable, ergo the same model as before, which you'll see if you look closely

It doesn't matter which access points are where, as long as you keep the logic separate. Hell, the view can even call the model to perform operations, and still that would keep the logic separate, although it's not optimal.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
    A controller receives input and issues instructions. It shouldn't pass data to view objects. If you decide to change the data displayed in a view you'd also have to edit the controller. It's up to you to decide if that's likely to be an issue though.
    Was that post for me? If so, I don't see how you could reach that conclusion from my code... sorry if it was an attempt at explaining something for mr blue there.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Athox View Post
    PHP Code:
    class Controller {
      protected 
    $view null;
      protected 
    $model null;

public function 
    __construct($name) {

$namemodel $name "Model";

$this->model = new $namemodel();

$nameview $name "View";

$this->view = new $nameview($this->model);
      }

In MVC, the controller selects the view, and the view selects the model. A controller should not pass any information to the view, including passing a model instance. The controller may also select a model, although for updating, where the view selects a model for reading. The model, which the controller selects, and the one which the view selects need not be the same.
    Furthermore, model is an abstraction -- in a concrete implementation, the model will often be several objects, rather than just one. The controller and view, on the other hand, is often implemented as a single instance each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi kyberfabrikken

So is this wrong?

PHP Code:
    class ModuleEvents extends Controller {

function 
    fetch() {

$model_events $this->locator->createModel('events');

$view->set('latest_events'$model_events->getLatest());
            return 
    $view->fetch('module/events.tpl');
        }

Should I have a ViewEvents that gets the data from the model and renders the template?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing is certain in any case, the model should never do any calls to either the controller or the view. That is definately 'wrong'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So is this wrong?
    If you want MVC, then yes.

Should I have a ViewEvents that gets the data from the model and renders the template?
    That would be the way to do it, yes.

If you do it the other way, you don't have V and C separated. In other words you have a 2-tier, consisting of Model and Presentation. For many applications, this is enough; You often don't need a full 3-tier (MVC). If there is a 1:1 relationship between controller and view anyway, the extra decoupling just adds complexity. I think this is the reason, why many people are having a hard time grasping MVC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kyberfabrikken View Post
    If you do it the other way, you don't have V and C separated. In other words you have a 2-tier, consisting of Model and Presentation. For many applications, this is enough; You often don't need a full 3-tier (MVC). If there is a 1:1 relationship between controller and view anyway, the extra decoupling just adds complexity. I think this is the reason, why many people are having a hard time grasping MVC.
    Exactly what I find most of the time. The general consensus seems to be that there are two ways to implement the view:
    1. Push data into it from the controller
    2. Pull data in from the View layer itself

And although the true MVC-correct way is (2), it does add complexity that is simply not required or even wanted in most implementations, so people often go with (1) in order to not have to create a separate 'View' class for each module/controller they create. I personally don't see a huge problem with pushing data to the view from the controller if it really helps eliminate complexity where it's not needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    kyberfabrikken:

If there is a 1:1 relationship between controller and view anyway, the extra decoupling just adds complexity.

What exactly does it mean? If the site has only one page template with blocks filled from view, is it 1:1 relationship? If - for example - controller analyses URL and passes action (and name of component for main block) to view, could I merge controller with view?

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You often don't need a full 3-tier (MVC). If there is a 1:1 relationship between controller and view anyway, the extra decoupling just adds complexity. I think this is the reason, why many people are having a hard time grasping MVC.
    Kyber, 3-tier usually refers to the fact that you have
    1) a persistence (data) tier,
    2) a business logic tier and
    3) a presentation tier

MVC is a (composite) design pattern which describes elements of tier 2 (the model lives here) and tier 3 (view and controller lives here). I think that claiming MVC constitutes a 3-tier architecture is add confusion. You can have MVC in a two tier model, too.Actually, many modern web MVC frameworks are close to two tier, as Active Record is a persistence pattern more than a business logic pattern.

I agree that the separation of view and controller is often not as important as separating the two from the model. Trygve Reenskaug and Fowler realized (and noted) this a long time ago.

You made a very good point about the model being an abstraction, and that in practice the model may be a number of objects from the business logic tier (or indeed in simple cases from the persistence tier - think Active Record).

What is also frequently ignored (I believe that Konstruct may be an exception here?) is the fact that also the view and the controller are abstractions. They need not be represented by a single class.

The original MVC pattern was described as a recursive one: The "view" could in fact consist of subviews where each subview could have its own associated controller. This is important because otherwise the single monolithic controller is being strongly coupled to the structure of the view.

(I believe that the recursive nature of the pattern was lost because the UML drawings of the pattern do not capture that characteristic very well)

@Athos:
    It doesn't matter which access points are where, as long as you keep the logic separate. Hell, the view can even call the model to perform operations, and still that would keep the logic separate, although it's not optimal.
    You should read Trygves papers. He actually talks about a concept called an editor, which allows the view to update the model directly. Indeed, such an editor can be implemented as a (sub)view and a controller.

I happen to believe that having the (sub)view perform actions on the model is indeed desirable. Having an enclosed, self-contained editor (subview+subcontroller) goes directly composability. The controller in the original MVC was much more about creating/placing/managing sub views and controllers than it was about micro-managing input fields of a single view.

---

Some will argue that "web MVC" is different than traditional (GUI) MVC because the web is "disconnected", request/response based. However, as we come to expect more and more interactivity of web applications they approach the behaviours of GUI apps. This is where many of the "web MVC" frameworks will face challenges.

Frameworks such as Rails (which has inspired a lot of PHP frameworks) does not at the present have support for true, composable MVC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by honeymonster View Post
    Kyber, 3-tier usually refers to the fact that you have
    Thanks for correcting me.

What is also frequently ignored (I believe that Konstruct may be an exception here?) is the fact that also the view and the controller are abstractions. They need not be represented by a single class.
    Yes, Konstrukt uses multiple components to realise the V and C layer. I don't think it's unique in that respect though; Even the dispather based frameworks (Eg. Struts and RoR inspired ones) has two components for the controller layer - Frontcontroller and Action. But frameworks based on a heirarchy of controllers (Such as Konstrukt) usually have more than those two.

I happen to believe that having the (sub)view perform actions on the model is indeed desirable. Having an enclosed, self-contained editor (subview+subcontroller) goes directly composability. The controller in the original MVC was much more about creating/placing/managing sub views and controllers than it was about micro-managing input fields of a single view.
    I totally agree. I think the popular dispatcher pattern stems from the transaction script way of thinking about web applications. A single dispatch and command object fits into this discourse. As applications become more complex, it's desirable to break it down to self-contained components (objects/subviews) instead of organising things at the request-level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastodont View Post
    If there is a 1:1 relationship between controller and view anyway, the extra decoupling just adds complexity.

What exactly does it mean? If the site has only one page template with blocks filled from view, is it 1:1 relationship? If - for example - controller analyses URL and passes action (and name of component for main block) to view, could I merge controller with view?
    Usually, the reason why you'd need MVC over just M+VC, is because the controller should be able to chose a different view, depending on certain conditions. In a web application, this could for example be an application, which - for the same URL - responds with HTML to browsers, and RSS to feedreaders. In theory, that's nice and all, but in practise, it's more desireable to supply a different URL for each of these views.
    Since you will then always get the same view from the same controller, the separation between the two is completely theoretical - In practice they are so tightly coupled, that it makes no difference whether you implement them as two components or as one. This is when you might as well merge them into one entity.

You don't need to tie your self into choosing between full MVC and M+VC. I rarely find myself actually needing V and C separation in web applications, so most of the time, I merge then into one. In the few cases, where I actually need multiple views for a single controller, I will just "upgrade" that single VC by splitting it up in a controller and a number of views. The rest of the application can still use the simple solution.

Applying MVC this way means that you're treating it more as a pattern, which can be applied strategically, where needed, instead of a dogma which must be followed at all time. The latter will also work, but it adds an amount of bureaucracy.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Applying MVC this way means that you're treating it more as a pattern, which can be applied strategically, where needed, instead of a dogma which must be followed at all time.
    Kyber, you are my hero!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Furthermore, model is an abstraction -- in a concrete implementation, the model will often be several objects, rather than just one. The controller and view, on the other hand, is often implemented as a single instance each.
    Like I said, my example is only valid in a 1c:1m:1v module. Sure, if you have several models that are accessible to each view or controller, then there is no point in the controller knowing anything about what the view needs, as that would create a complete mess.

My example has the assumption that if the controller can communicate with the model, then there can be raised exceptions to be handled inside the controller, instead of in the view, before the presentation is even considered.

One thing you can do is let the model itself handle which "submodels" to load, and then just extract the functionality that is necessary for this particular module, making it a 1:1:1 module, where the controller can "prepare" everything together with the model, and the view then gets the data that was prepared, or possibly errors.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found this:

http://best-practice-software-engine...terns/mvc.html

It explains the different MVC styles depending if its a desktop application or web.
    Last edited by blueyon; Jul 21, 2007 at 14:28.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what type of MVC I'm using. All I know is its very similar to a lot of examples on the web. It's also like frameworks such as codeignitor and cake.

It also makes building web application more easy because it structures my code.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you can't compare MVC for desktop apps and web apps. Some people will disagree, but there's an important difference. Desktop apps are synchronous, while web apps are asynchronous. The closest way to emulate a desktop app would be Ajax with JSP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bring this conversation back to a basic level but I seemed to be getting confused with the view layer

If my application was to fetch products that equal x and the result was 0, would my product controller query the db and the select the required view+method IE
    $view->NoData(); or would my controller simply select the product view class and let my view class decide?

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to bring this conversation back to a basic level but I seemed to be getting confused with the view layer

If my application was to fetch products that equal x and the result was 0, would my product controller query the db and the select the required view+method IE
    $view->NoData(); or would my controller simply select the product view class and let my view class decide?

Thanks in advance
    You can do it ethier way. I use a common view to display no products, no categories, etc..

All that changes is the text.

It depends on what you think is best.

Another example is if you have a product information page and you have additional images to be display at the bottom. The product information page does not require a sperate view to display no additional images. Just put an IF statement to display the message if no additional images found.

Most template engines have IF, ELSE statements and FOREACH loops.