SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you need Contribute Publishing Service to use Contribute?

G'day.

I'm just doing some basic research into Adobe Contribute because a potential client is using it and would like to continue using it on the new site we may bedeveloping for them.

The question I can't quite work out yet is this: does Contribute Publishing Service (CPS) need to be installed on the hosting server in order to be able to publish/manage content from a copy of Contribute installed on a client PC?

I've learnt the following from here: http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/server/faq/

Adobe Contribute Publishing Server (CPS) software tracks and controls access and publishing activities of individual users of Adobe Contribute software. CPS provides central management of site connections and access permissions and a deeper view into publishing activities through logging and e-mail notifications.

As a lightweight server application, CPS is easily installed in minutes on Windows®, Linux®, and Unix® servers, or on any standard J2EE application environment. CPS integrates with enterprise systems using LDAP and Active Directory user directories and allows users to publishing activities across large numbers of websites and publishers.
    CPS is sold in the form of an access license. Each Contribute user requires a license in order to access Contribute Publishing Server. There is no separate fee for the server software itself. For example, if an organization has ten people who use Contribute, that organization would need to purchase ten CPS licenses in order to support those users.
    OK, that's fine, but I just want to get it clear in my head whether it's possible/impossible/not recommended if, for example, two people have two copies of Contribute installed on two different machines and BOTH wish to manage the same site WITHOUT using CPS? Or, in this example, would CPS installed on the hosting server be an absolute (or strongly recommended?) requirement?
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No

I install & manage contribute sites & your answer is NO, you don't need CPS, an unlimited amount of people can edit the site from their own contribute install. Contribute software does the management from each install, however you'll need a copy yourself to be an administrator & also I would recommend you administer it & the the site via Dreamweaver.

Cheers
    Jace
    www.quickwebs.com.au

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks very much for you answer.

So when/where would you need CPS, or under what circumstances would its use be recommended, if it's not a requirement for using Contribute?

Thx again.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, CPS just provides additional admin functions, I guess if you were to have a lot of users & need to manage them across a larger network. It has a user directory service & can log website update events etc etc.

read this - http://www.adobe.com/products/contribute/server/ - it's pretty much self explaining & you should be able to see it's value & if it is needed.