SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW: Layout Cells and Layout Tables

Im new to DW and just starting to get to grips with it and Im wondering about how these two features should be used.

From what I can see, Layout Tables enforce a structure on the web page that cannot be altered, which I think is a good thing as it allows for pages to appear consistantly.

Layout cells on the other hand can and do change in size when edits are made to text etc if they are not encpasulated within a layout table.

Now my question is along the lines of, is it always best to use layout table for everything and have them encapsulate layout cells? Or is there a case for layout cells without layout tables in sections of a page or even a whole page?

Which is also a better design practice?
    stablewars.com - WWF Fantasy Wrestling, It ain't no E-fed!

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DW: Layout Cells and Layout Tables

Originally posted by Crippler
    Now my question is along the lines of, is it always best to use layout table for everything and have them encapsulate layout cells? Or is there a case for layout cells without layout tables in sections of a page or even a whole page?
    ok i'm not an expert with Dreamweaver becos i type in my html so don't buy everything that i say...

the layout table in dreamweaver is actually the <table> element in html and the layout cell the <td> tag, which is the cell tag...

each cell must have an enclosing table which would contain it so it shouldn't be possible that there would be a case for layout cells without layout tables...

personally, i find it better to either use seperate tables for diff sections or have an all-encompassing table with cells that contain tables...

hope i'm not on the wrong track though

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, every cell must be encapsulated by a table, in my case that is the main table that defines the page size.

Im perfectly happily to work with layout tables, I guess my real query is if that is a bad design practice and/or whether it brings extra overheads?

I see the use of Layout cells in terms of when editing a page with text on a regular basis and you would want that to resize according to the amount of text you are using.

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm Dreamweaver 'table layout' makes design very easy and very changeable as long as you use dw to do the changing. It uses a large number of nested tables to acheive its look. So much so I have actually don't though some of my older code and removed quite a few of the nested tables and seen a 'large' performance increase. It is good for design to use the layout tool once in a while but be sure to try to clean your code by hand for more speed.
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh I think I got it now. So while the layout tables are good for designing and setting up pages, they are not necassarily good for page performance and should be removed by hand after the page is setup as desired.

LOL I know I just repeated what you said, but its always so much clearer in my own words

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using DW for years and had no idea about that Layout View.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy redemption's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by psalzer
    I've been using DW for years and had no idea about that Layout View.
    probably the Layout View was implemented in the later versions (DW 4 has it)...

Whistler BC originally from Guelph Ontario
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Crippler
    Ahhh I think I got it now. So while the layout tables are good for designing and setting up pages, they are not necassarily good for page performance and should be removed by hand after the page is setup as desired.

LOL I know I just repeated what you said, but its always so much clearer in my own words
    Exactly. And best of luck
    Maelstrom Personal - Apparition Visions
    Development - PhP || Mysql || Zend || Devshed
    Unix - FreeBSD || FreeBsdForums || Man Pages
    They made me a sitepoint Mentor - Feel free to PM me or Email me and I will see if I can help.