SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreamweaver CS3 ftp problems

I am using Dreamweaver CS3, and I am having a heck of a time with the FTP feature. Sometimes I can connect, sometimes I can't. Sometimes it will connect, and then halfway through uploading, disconnect. I'm getting all kinds of errors. I have troubleshooted to the point that I know the problem is with Dreamweaver and not the hosting services I FTP to.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?

I've been around and around the Adobe site looking for help. I got absolutely no where. That site is a nightmare!

Can you tell I'm frustrated?

Thank you for any advice you can give!

Kristin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope someone else can answer this question, but I have not been able to use the FTP part of Dreamweaver since forever. I only use IPSWITCH WS_FTP Pro to upload my files to my server/webhost.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem with Dreamweaver 8. Downlaoding this update (8.02) from adobe website fixed the problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamwe..._updaters.html

However, I just uninstalled 8 because I have Dreamweaver cs3 and the problem reoccured!

Oh for the days of macromedia!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattwhy View Post
    I had the same problem with Dreamweaver 8. Downlaoding this update (8.02) from adobe website fixed the problem.

http://www.adobe.com/support/dreamwe..._updaters.html

However, I just uninstalled 8 because I have Dreamweaver cs3 and the problem reoccured!

Oh for the days of macromedia!
    I really miss Macromedia! Things are just not the same since Adobe took over.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may have done these things but...

Make sure you have excluded the DW program folders from your AV scanner. You may want to try excluding the local site folders too. Or just turn AV off and try an upload.

Make sure you have the site connection for Passive FTP Transfer turned off or on depending on what your host requires.

You may have better luck if you rebuild the site cache and restart DW prior to starting an upload. My DW goes into molasses mode after an upload. A restart seems to free it up.

WS_FTP is a good alternative. Plus you can clear locked files and cleanup Contributes sites with it.

Adobe seems to be in over their head with this latest release. Vista users have had lots of install problems and poor performance. The Adobe site is way weak... I usually end up using Google to seach it. I am more likely to find what I'm looking for and it takes less time.

Phone support has worked for me when I'm really up against. Hold times are not too bad.
    Dynamic HTML - Is that a Frisbee based language...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just upgraded my version from dreamweaver 8 to cs3 and I'm not too impressed. I also miss the file icon used by dreamweaver 8, it was a lot easier to tell which files are dreamweavers ones. Also cs3 has not improved the site management feature at all, you still can't set a document root for a site, so it can be a pain to setup a directory structure that goes beyond the "stick everything in the public_html" folder...

I can get the ftp to work in both dreamweaver versions (8 and cs3), but I never use it. I usually do more harm then good with their get /put options and FTP; I'll stick to smartFTP and do it manually
    My First Website YouCritiqueIT.com
    - A unique approach to rating products