SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[LAYOUT] Your oppinion COUNTS! :)

Haha, sorry for the cheesy catchphrase. This is my first time posting in here, and wanted to get some feedback hoorrahh. The site is a local, community site, targeting 20 - 35yr olds to read, review, comment, interact with the local scene. There is no branding for the site yet, logo, etc. I am just working on layout elements & such. Anything you have to offer would be loved.

Thanks!

NEW LAYOUT:
    Last edited by teampl4y4; Jul 19, 2007 at 00:08. Reason: Added new layout

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without reading what the site is about, my initial thought was that this is some sort of tech site. Maybe it's the gray buttons, the xbox color scheme, etc. I think if you can loosen up the design a bit, make it a bit friendlier and more like the social site it seems you're after, it would be much more attractive to potential users.

SitePoint Evangelist Pixelateur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with helix7. The layout is very clean and attractive, but a little too techie. I also think that the main menu is too bulky and gets too much attention. Why not use something simpler, maybe similar to the bar that contains the breadcrumb navigation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this. Personally, I think you should lose the beveled edges on the nav buttons - it's a bit outdated. Another problem I see is that you will be basing your logo off of your design - and thats a bad idea. You design should complement your logo if anything.

All in all good effort though.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it. I dont think its to techy if the scene your talking about is the nightclub/ party scene. I agree with the comments made about basing your logo on the design, it should be the other way around. Where are you planing to put the logo? In the green banner?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the design but think you should try to accent the city features more by reducing the opacity of the city landscape at the top.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for your responses:

@helix7 - I appreciate the input. I think I am leaning with you, maybe a little too much over the top; a more web 2.0 / simple layout would be more effective & scalable here.

@stillstie - Good point w/ the logo. Only problem is, I am terrible at logo concepts. :-p So I was trying to cheat; more importantly I was actually just trying to prototype some ideas. I will work on a logo concept though, then go from there for version 2, if you promise to help me out there.. haha

@smitch - in this concept yes, the idea was to put the logo & a catch phrase in the left.

@pinch - I am a bit confused, accent the city features MORE by REDUCING how much you can see it?? Explain for me? I am lost..

Thanks again to everyone for both your current & future feedback!!

SitePoint Evangelist webchalkboard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

It's not bad, although not personally to my taste... Looks a little template monster for my liking. The buttons are a bit clunky and big.

I'm sure many people will love it, thought. What are you going to put in the green area?
    Websites for Sale - Sell websites in a purpose built marketplace
    Then do some Shopping

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added a new layout, let me know which one you guys like better? and feedback on that one? Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the first site is for 20-35 year olds then ease up on the reflections on the banner. Try to keep it simple. At this age people are mature and prefer simple over trendy. I like the second layout, the light color scheme, and how clean it is. You might need a big image to catch some attention though. Overall, good layouts, just remember - simplicity.

SitePoint Enthusiast solidmedia's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New colour scheme is better then the previous one.

The design feels to generic though, doesn't quite seem suited for your target audience or even the sites needs.

Not a fan of that pokey little menu down the bottom of the content container.

Google Ads stand out way too much aswell, subtle ads bring through more clicks.

I agree with stilltsie the logo should be designed with the style you are going for. It will be much easier to design the site in a similar style to the logo then vice versa.

Hope this helps.
    SOLID Media Solutions
    http://www.solidmedia.net.au

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally think that the nav buttons on both of them are way too big. A do like the color schemes however!

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The link is broken but from the original I think the layout is not bad however the palette is too dark and murky (?) for my liking. Can't comment further with that broken link but it would be good to see the new design...