SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiring a Photographer

My wife and I are ballroom dancers and want to get some professional photos made but we are not sure how much we should pay for a pro, or other important considerations. Any advice?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To answer your question, it really depends on how you are going to use the pictures. If you're only going to hang them on the wall at home, put one on your desk at work, put them in a photo album, and/or give them away to friend then you probably can get away with a normal portrait session.

On the other hand, if you're going to use them for anything commercial, i.e. a website promoting yourselves as professionals or putting them into an ad (any form of ad) you can expect to pay more. You may ask why you'd pay more for a commercial use. The photographer owns the copy write on the photographs he or she created (which is a protection by law). When you get your family portrait done you are licensed to use the photo for personal use only, like displaying them at home or the office. Now when you use the photos for commercial use you stand to make a profit whether directly or indirectly through promotion on a website or ad or whatever the photographer needs to be compensated for his or her work. It can get complicated I know.

The best advice I can give you is to find a photographer that you are comfortable with and whose style you like. Explain to them what you are planning to do with the photos. Remember, you usually get what you pay for.

I hope this helps,
    Dave

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's an old Chinese proverb... (or at least in Trinidad we claim it's a Chinese proverb)...

"Cheap t'ing no good. Good t'ing no cheap."

Hope that helps.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have been talking to a couple of pros. One is quoting me about $1000 for 4 looks including hair and makeup. The other is about half that but his portfolio isn't quite as cool. I' still thinking what will be best.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on your location (Atlanta), you should be able to find a portrait photographer for about $400-600 that will get you a good portfolio set.

Maybe try some "Wedding" photogs. They have the skill to do the set also.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is to much money... I think you can find it for less then $400...
    www.mangiaphoto.com - daily photo news
    www.serveradminblog.com - Open source tips and tricks