SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What collation sequence?

I've just transferred a small PHP/MySQL application from a Firepages phpdev5 install to an XAMPP install, so I've got new versions of everything. I used phpMyAdmin to export and import the tables of the database. When recreating the database on my new install I selected the default collation (latin1_general_ci) but my application is now displaying ? in place of a number of characters so I guess I got it wrong. I can't see where in the old phpMyAdmin (2.3.0-rc3) to determine what collation the database uses. Any ideas please?

Thanks G

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could try UTF8 after that you'd have to know what those mistranslated characters could be.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll try that then. I know what some of the characters are - an en dash and a closing single quote/apostrophe. And I'll check out your site. Ta G

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried utf_general_ci (I think it was) and one or two others, including ascii, without luck. There seems to be nothing on my original install - or on the live version running under Unix/Linux - to tell me what encoding is used. Do I need to stop and restart the database server after making changes?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha! Having looked at the MySQL manual, that latin1_swedish_ci was (should be) the default, I changed it to that and - hey presto, it works!