SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Need to track data sent for a legal case

Hi,

I want to know if there is any way to prove that I have completed the Web form. Let me give you a scenario.

(I'm taking a Bank Web site as an example)
    1) I go to a Bank Web site
    2) Complete the form to open a new account
    3) Submit the form
    4) Then I get a confirmation number

I want to know if there is anything that I can do on my end to prove the content I have submitted on the form. Because the thing is, once submitted the bank can do anything to the data that I have sent, including alter them so that I do not have a case. Maybe there is some kind of a program that I can use?

I was thinking about videotaping everything, but I do not know if this would be sufficient to be taken to court.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it would certainly support your case in court, if it's a big website like a bank's website then it's going to be backed up everyday. Your information will have passed through the server so the original information you sent may still be in one of the backed up files.

I live in the UK so I don't know much about US law but maybe you could get a subpoena to get that information?
    I have a blog on politics.
    email: oliver@olivercross.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Oliver Cross

Anybody else have any suggestions??

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't they display the information you entered alongside the confirmation code (if not then the confirmation is pointless). Simply print that page which shows both your info and their confirmation code. That is what that page is for - as proof that they acknowledge receipt of what you entered.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is but I could always alter this page later (Save it as HTML and then change the content to lie) so I don’t think its strong enough proof.

I don't even know which law category this case is in. I pretty much want to sue Discover for lying to me and I have a way of duplicating what happened and I’m sure they are going to lie to me again. I want to make sure that I save the evidence so I have a strong case.

Any suggestions?? Does anybody know any good lawyers in Maryland area?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use Internet Explorer, download and install Fiddler, a HTTP debugger. Then open Fiddler before doing anything. Any and every HTTP request to the server will be fully logged, including all headers and timestamp information, and all this information should link up with the server logs. Get a subpoena for the server logs, link the data and you have information which should hold up in court. Do it all with a witness present, sign a print out of all the information and have the witness sign as well. Don't take this as legal advice, but it should give you all the technical data you need.