User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Third party applications through framework

Hi all,

We're building a framework using the MVC model in PHP5 and want to run third party applications through (e.g. forums, wiki etc) so we can skin them and add in our own user system along side the 3rd party application's. However, we've been running into a few problems and I'd like to know if anyone has had any experience with doing things this way? We're currently just including the external script between ob_start() and ob_get_clean() after chdir()ing and setting a few $_SERVER variables, then processing the output which involves stripping out everything in the <body> and putting scripts/css etc into our own template's header.

Any thoughts, hints and suggestions are very welcome

SitePoint Evangelist superuser2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you trying put a 3rd party application on your framework? I don't see much point in that...

Skinning: lots of 3rd party open source apps have themes/skins/templates available and also documentation as to how integrate into your own site. Any particular apps you have in mind?

User system: the complexity of this will vary by application...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're using WikiMedia, phpBB3 and a gallery application (can't remember what it's called off the top of my head). I think we've actually fixed most of the problems we were having now - the 3rd party apps stuff is getting put into our theme system so that's good. Now to write a super regex that strips out all the useful tags from the <head> section including <!--[if]--> blocks...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy kyberfabrikken's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds a bit like SiteMesh. There is a PHP port, although I don't know how complete it is.

I played around with something similar at some point, but ended up dropping it again. PHP's autoprepend ini-setting is quite practical for this.

SitePoint Evangelist superuser2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know Gallery2 and phpBB2 can talk to each other in terms of users, though I'm not sure about phpBB3, but see if you can also find a way to do it with MediaWiki. Google is your friend.