SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you look for in Stock Photography?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum but plan to make appearances in the weekly photo challenge.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to what your feelings are to the few following questions regarding stock photography sites. (They fall under specific VS flexible.)

1) Do you look for images where the main subject is cropped close in the photo or a more flexible picture where the main subject is in the center of a more panoramic shot. (Make sense?)

2) Do you like a variety of resolutions to choose from or just 1 large resolution option.

3) Do you prefer a pay-per-download option or a monthly, unlimited download subscription.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Depends on the end use.
    If the image is for an element of design, a crop on white background may be best.
    If the image is for editorial or book/corporate-brochure use, than an image with many pleasing elements is often wanted.

2) Variety - why pay for a 8MB file when you just need a low res for a header graphic?

3) Depends on what they have available, pricing, and the amount of use you get.
    Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!

Yeah, I guess these do fall under "well it depends", so I guess I was looking for a majority preference.

If that helps narrow it down for anyone else.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpNacelle View Post
    1) Do you look for images where the main subject is cropped close in the photo or a more flexible picture where the main subject is in the center of a more panoramic shot. (Make sense?)
    Depends. Sometimes I need close up and sometimes I need a lot of space around...

2) Do you like a variety of resolutions to choose from or just 1 large resolution option.
    For now I only use web resolutions.

3) Do you prefer a pay-per-download option or a monthly, unlimited download subscription.
    Well I sell my own photos and usually I have few bucks on my account and I convert it to credits when I need image(s). So my answer is pay-per-download.

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts.
    No prob.
    www.mangiaphoto.com - daily photo news
    www.serveradminblog.com - Open source tips and tricks

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpNacelle
    Depends on my purposes.

Usually, though, I crop the subject out of the photograph and use my own background so in most cases it doesn't even matter.

Sometimes I need print-size, sometimes web. Of course I can easily convert a large image to a smaller one. Not so easy to go the other way...

Hell I'd LOVE to have an unlimited, life-time subscription to Corbis!!...

The price of that, though, would be the problem.

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Large res are my preference. I cut stuff out or use just partial elements, combine a lot of different things, and as Shaun said: it is easy to reduce, but hard to enlarge.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate the feedback.

Very helpful! Thanks.