Hybrid View

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IE and Ajax.Updater - img's not showing after HTML is replaced

All,

I'm having a huge problem with an AJAX enabled events calendar I'm working on, but it's only in IE (6 and 7). Firefox works fine and so does Safari.

http://cal.o3world.com/index.cfm

I'm using the Prototype library and a call to Ajax.Updater() to call a Coldfusion page which will generate the necessary table structure for the next month's calendar and events.

The next/prev arrows on either side of the month are img's wrapped in an <a> tag with an onclick handler registered on the window onload, and also reinitialized after the new HTML is populated in the div. I have no problems with the onclick handlers.

However, the img's are not showing up in IE when the HTML is updated in the div. I have verified that the src's of each img tag are correct and exist. You'll actually see a JS alert that is called on a timeout delay after the div is updated with the new HTML. I've even tried creating new img nodes via JS with different img files and replacing the img node in the div with these new img nodes and it doesn't not display either.

The strange thing is, you can still click on where the img should be, and the calendar works properly. This is boggling my mind.

I've read some articles and tried countless solutions about image caching in IE 6 but none of the solutions have worked.

Server: Windows 2003, IIS 6, Coldfusion 7

Can anyone offer any sort of reason/solution why the img's would show up?

Regards,

Justin

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

img's not showing up

Hi,

I think it may be a css issue. I have had a look at the site in IE using the IE Developer toolbar and for July say, the arrows visibility are set to hidden, which is why they are not being shown, If you download the IE Dev toolbar you will see for yourself

hope it helps you fix the problem

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bustacapinya View Post
    Hi,

I think it may be a css issue. I have had a look at the site in IE using the IE Developer toolbar and for July say, the arrows visibility are set to hidden, which is why they are not being shown, If you download the IE Dev toolbar you will see for yourself

hope it helps you fix the problem
    Hey there,

Yep, that was the issue. I think I saw that as well when I was using the IE Developer toolbar but I've noticed that it's very buggy and I rarely trust what it says.

However, no where in my CSS file or inline style do I ever set the visibility property. In fact, I can't think of one situation where I've ever used the visibility property period (always using display).

I was able to fix it by just setting the inline style to visible on the AJAX page, but it just aggravates me that IE somehow decides to set my visibility property for me without me telling it to.

Has anyone else noticed this mysterious setting of visibility to hidden on AJAX calls in IE?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

img no show

Hi,

glad you at least found a fix for your problem, I guess it may just be a case of how different browsers handle the css? because as we all know IE is not the best, so it may be worth doing a bit of digging on this issue?

thanks for the heads up on the IE toolbar also

thanks

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    I have the same problem without using any javascript framework, just a javascript httpRequest and a innerHtml substitution, and at the moment I can't find out the solution.
    This problem doesn't seem so popular, does it?

Cheers

Fabio

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

Try this:

Originally Posted by pinemind above

I was able to fix it by just setting the inline style to visible on the AJAX page, but it just aggravates me that IE somehow decides to set my visibility property for me without me telling it to.
    Thanks