User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cached page rendering problem

Hi

I have an issue with my site that has been bugging me for some time now, and wondered if you good people might have any suggestions.

The problem is that the cached page of my web site in both google and yahoo is being rendered in a way that trashes the general layout, and makes it unappealing.

A previous sitepoint thread on this subject (back in 2005) advised that this is being caused by the code that google is placing at the top of the page, and thus causing the page to be rendered in quirks mode.

Whilst this explains why, what the 2005 thread didn't conclude was a possible fix - is there one? or is this just a feature that we have to put up with? have things moved on in the CSS world now to enable a hack or fix?

Any suggestions or advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Kind regards
    Lee

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to Sitepoint Lee :-)

A previous sitepoint thread on this subject (back in 2005) advised that this is being caused by the code that google is placing at the top of the page, and thus causing the page to be rendered in quirks mode.
    Not sure that that is right :-) IE rendering a page in quirks mode is if the html page doesn't have a full and valid doctype. Nothing to do with Google 'putting' code on the page.

This may help explain what a doctype is and how to use it.

Also, if your page is breaking, it would be a good idea to post a link to your page (upload it to some server space) so that people can check your code - it's the easiest way for people to help you troubleshoot the problems. Without seeing any code, it's very difficult to offer any real help :-)

Edit: I've just reread your post and it refers to a 'cached page' so I'm probably off in my reply to you, sorry :-)

Can you link to the article you are referring to by the way.....

Nadia

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nadia

Thank you for your quick reply.

I probably should of explained in my original post that my site renders perfectly on all the major browsers - so that is not a problem. The issue is just with the cached page held by yahoo and google.

The previous thread that referred to this problem is here...
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/show...=google+cached

I know having a poorly rendered cached page is not the end of the world, but it would be nice to fix if there is a solution out there.

I'm a little new to this so please excuse my forum skills - but I do not know how to upload my code. So for fear of upsetting the moderators you can see the site at www dot simply-chalets dot co dot uk. The link to the css file is clearly defined in the source. Please advise if this is acceptable else I will have to take guidance on this uploading of code malarky.

Thanks again
    Lee

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing you can do completely out of your hands.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.