Hybrid View

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

event handlers,event listeners?

Hi there,

I want a way to allow me to run one function when an element is moused over and another when the element id moused out. At present i have an onmouseover event handler running a function like so:

Code JavaScript:
    <p id="message" style="display:none;" onmouseover="get_message();"><?php echo $message_id; ?></p>

Now could anyone tell me whats the best, most concise, cross browser way to achieve more than one function for more than one event on one element?...part of my getmessage() function is changing the p tags style from diplsay: none to block....what i want is for the element to go back to display none on mouseout.

Ive read some conflicting info on how to do this and im a little confused....could anyone point me in the right direction?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When an HTML element is set to display:none, it's not visible in the browser. It's gone, you can't see it, the place it was before is now filled with other content... Gone... Still in the DOM, but not visible. And something that's not visible, cannot be hovered with the mouse and therefore can't be clicked either.
    What you can use, is visibility:hidden... But that doesn't really hides the element, it hides all the visible parts of the element, but their is just an empty space. No other content will fill the gasp.

To bind multiple function to an event of one specific element, you can use Scott Andrew's window.addEvent function. It's also handy to bind a function to an onload event which works even for browsers that don't support binding a function directly to window.onload.
    FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used, will sell cheap

CSS & JS/DOM Adept bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hexburner View Post
    To bind multiple function to an event of one specific element, you can use Scott Andrew's window.addEvent function.
    That one is very primitive. I recommend Dean Edwards' event manipulation functions.

Quote Originally Posted by hexburner View Post
    It's also handy to bind a function to an onload event which works even for browsers that don't support binding a function directly to window.onload.
    Which browsers don't support that?
    We miss you, Dan Schulz.
    Learn CSS. | X/HTML Validator | CSS validator
    Dynamic Site Solutions
    Code for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, & Opera, then add fixes for IE, not vice versa.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats great thanks guys...that function is pretty sweet!