SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

linux directories - what goes where?

Does anyone know of any online resources that give a good, solid overview of a standard directory structure or tree for a linux server?

I have a remote linux server to administer, and some of the directories at the root level are,

backup
    bin
    boot
    dev
    etc
    home
    opt
    proc
    usr
    var

So what I'm looking is the 'thinking' behind what each of these sub-directories is supposed to contain, and their sub-directories, and so on and so forth. Perhaps the number of directories and sub-directories runs into hundreds or even thousands? I don't know.

Any comments anyone?
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's actually a really good question. The main thing here is that every distro of linux is different. And most hosts customize things a bit to suit their needs. When I install Apache, I expect the httpd.conf file to be in /usr/local/apache/conf .. But on my vserver with Interland, it's in /www/conf and on a cobalt it's in /home/sites/httpd/conf (though don't try to edit a cobalt httpd.conf file. It doesn't like that much).

I cut my teeth on a Solaris box though, and that's quite a mean system to learn on. Two resources I still use daily when trying to figure out how to do something in unix or linux are solarisguide.com and groups.google.com . I almost never look anywhere else.

Hope that helps.
    Chrispian H. Burks
    Nothing To Say

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    www.linuxdoc.org -- or Linux.com

For starters look in the proc directory and cat some of the files. It will give you information on your system. IE, processor speed, and memory, and harware configuration. ;-)

/backup --- not sure what OS creates this. This partition may have been created during the install.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by Crowe
    ...The main thing here is that every distro of linux is different. And most hosts customize things a bit to suit their needs.... Two resources I still use daily when trying to figure out how to do something in unix or linux are solarisguide.com and groups.google.com . I almost never look anywhere else.
    Thanks for your comments (both of you). I asked the question because I've just recently (after much gnashing of teeth) installed an ssl cert on my server, and I noticed that one set of documentation recommended storing the crt,key, and csr files here:

/usr/share/ssl/certs
    /usr/share/ssl/private

and another here:

/usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.crt/
    /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.csr/
    /usr/local/apache/conf/ssl.key/

Ultimately it doesn't matter where the files are stored so long as httpd.conf knows where to look (and they are proprerly CHMODed)...

It's *almost* shame that there isn't - dare I say - only 1 distribution of linux. I think it would make linux a more widely acceptable product. Then we'd all know where to look all the time using a single reference! But that's just a linux newbie talking.
    Web Design Perth Melbourne .:. Itomic Business Website Solutions
    Drupal Experts .:. Drupalise