SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Can I Do This??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Can I Do This??

ok i have an extra computer with IIS 5 with php,mysql along with mssql. i also have a domain name, i was wondering if i could use that computer as my host and have my domain name point to it. can this be done what are the pros and cons about this as well....
    i love php

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can.. get that computer online (umm you're gonna need a fast connection. 56k won't cut it) and acquire a static IP address for it. Then have your isp make the IP address to be the same as yourdomain.com

Note that unless you're paying a hefty fee, they're not going to let your run your own server because who's to say that you won't start hosting other websites?

Pros: You have local access to your production server, and you get to manage your own webserver

Cons: Expensive, and you get to manage your own webserver.

You'd have to purchase your own software, such as Frontpage, Cold Fusion.. whereas the company might've already had.

You have no way of safeguarding the machine.. what if someone accidentally hits the switch? What if you're connection's down? A good webhosting provider always have multihomed connections to their webservers. This way, if one route goes down, they can direct the traffic to another route.

Lastly, if you mess up, you're on your own. If the company messes up, it's their problem

Unless you really want to experience being the web admin, I'd stick with hosting with your isp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Originally posted by cupid
    Yes you can.. get that computer online (umm you're gonna need a fast connection. 56k won't cut it) and acquire a static IP address for it. Then have your isp make the IP address to be the same as yourdomain.com

Note that unless you're paying a hefty fee, they're not going to let your run your own server because who's to say that you won't start hosting other websites?

Pros: You have local access to your production server, and you get to manage your own webserver

Cons: Expensive, and you get to manage your own webserver.

You'd have to purchase your own software, such as Frontpage, Cold Fusion.. whereas the company might've already had.

You have no way of safeguarding the machine.. what if someone accidentally hits the switch? What if you're connection's down? A good webhosting provider always have multihomed connections to their webservers. This way, if one route goes down, they can direct the traffic to another route.

Lastly, if you mess up, you're on your own. If the company messes up, it's their problem

Unless you really want to experience being the web admin, I'd stick with hosting with your isp.

thanks man i think i'll just get it hosted
    i love php