User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

account details/concepts/hosting

Hi

I currently work for a small graphic design agency in the UK. I have been designing websites for the past few years. We currently doing sites as add-ons to brochure work rather than stand-alone business to consumer sites. I would estimate 3 a month, all under a dozen pages. However, we are aiming to have a big push to more expansive sites shortly. I would be grateful to hear from fellow web designers...and graphic designers turned web designers on the following:

1. How do you show a concept to your client?
    Currently I produce a flat jpeg from an editable png file. This is fine but doesnt show interactivity. On approval I then build a template sample page - once approved I then build....Do you think this is the best option?

2. How do you keep a track of client website details?
    I currently have an excel spreadsheet with all domain names I have purchased for clients as well as renewal dates, ftp info etc....Is this how you approach it?

3. Should I charge a hosting fee?
    At present the majority of our sites remain untouched for months. Therefore, once invoiced the site remains virtually the same barring any minor amends. We then get billed for renewals on domain and web hosting from our chosen supplier. We normally forward these prices to clients direct. Is it normal to add a cost for handling that renewal etc?

Basically any advice to stop a web designer drowning....My workload is split 50:50 between printed media and web media and whilst one stops relatively still the other is moving rapidly...I need to keep up and become efficient and financially happy!

Many thanks for reading

PS if this is in the wrong forum pls feel free to move!

Red

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redeleven View Post
    Hi
    1. How do you show a concept to your client?
    2. How do you keep a track of client website details?
    3. Should I charge a hosting fee?
    1. I generally do my design concepts in photoshop, from there I will either save them as a jpeg and email them to the client, or I will take them to a printing shop and print them out in colour (this would be for a client with a bigger budget and one that I could meet face to face with). Once the client has signed off on one of the designs I will proceed with taking it through its draft stages all the way to completion. During this time the site will be upload to a dedicated space on my own website, this space requires a log in and password that I would have provided to the client. This allows the client to have some interaction with the site.

2. I have created a program in access where I keep track of all my clients, each of the projects that are associated with them (i.e. design, maintenance, etc.), as well as any necessary information such as domain name login and password info, ftp information, etc. For each design project I also keep a worklog where I record the date, start time and end time, as well as detailed notes regarding what I worked on.

3. If you are just forwarding information to the client and they are the ones renewing their domain and hosting stuff I don't think it would be prudent to charge them for that. However, if you are spending a significant amount of time doing this for the same client then perhaps some sort of maintenance agreement should be put together between you and them, this way they can pay you for this type of general work. But, as mentioned, if it is just forwarding an email every once in a while, I don't think you should charge them. That's just me though, I believe that little things like that keep the client happy, and keep em coming back. =)

cheers
    jonesy