User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

populating form menus conditionally

Hi everyone,

I have a form which will allow me to populate a garments table within my database. Among the elements in the form, there is a suppliers drop down menu and a categories multiple select menu. I used the following code to populate these menus.

PHP Code:
    <?php
    require_once('classes/database.php');
    // this code always runs, and gets lists of suppliers and garment categories
    $db=new Database('localhost','root','password','catalogue',0);
    $getSuppliers 'SELECT * FROM suppliers ORDER BY supplier';
    $suppliers $db->query($getSuppliers);
    $getCategories 'SELECT * FROM categories ORDER BY category';
    $categories $db->query($getCategories);
    There is also a colours menu, a sizes menu, and a garment type menu in the form. Instead of having these populate with the entire contents of their respective tables, I wanted to have each of them populate conditionally according to which supplier was chosen, ie. if a particular supplier was chosen, each of the menus mentioned would contain data specific to that supplier.

I guess you'd need to know a bit about the database structure for this: The garment types have their own table with its primary key also in the garments table as a foreign key. Since the supplier_id also exists in the garments table as a foreign key, I guess the connection between these two could be made.

The sizes and colours each have their own table and there's also garment_to_colour and garment_to_size lookup tables. These lookup tables contain the garment_id primary key from the garments table as well as the respective colour_id and size_id foreign keys from each of their tables.

I just wondered if someone could show me what the code might look like, in one of these scenarios?

Really appreciate any help offered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will have to use javascript/ajax or have the form be submited to get the variables and populate them on the next page based on the submited data. I hope that gives you someplace to look.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Computers and Fire ...
    In the hands of the inexperienced or uneducated,
    the results can be disastrous.
    While the professional can tame, master even conquer.