i bought this book with the plan to give this a go and follow it step by step etc... i downloaded all the recomended downloads (rather than the newer ones), installed them and then my problems began

even with this prompt on pg18 of the book: C:\InstantRails> gem update --system it didn't seem quite right. My prompt immediately said
Code Ruby:
C:\InstantRails\rails_apps>
nothing in the book that this might happen. anyway, i though i would follow the book as it appears so i changed directory so my prompt read: C:\InstantRails and typed in the following as advised:
Code Ruby:
C:\InstantRails> gem install rails --include-dependencies
. got this error back:

Code Ruby:
C:\InstantRails>gem install rails --include-dependencies
Need to update 4 gems from [url]http://gems.rubyforge.org[/url]
complete
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
    install directory #<Pathname:C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rak
e-0.7.3> not absolute

C:\InstantRails>

So i'm beginning to think this has got off to a bad start. anyway, i thought i would press on and see if anything unveiled itself later. i moved on past the mac and linux installation notes to page 41. i opened my ruby console window and prepared to make trouble!.

ok this code:

Code Ruby:
$ rails shovell
create
create app/controllers
create app/helpers
create app/models
create app/views/layouts
create config/environments
create components
create db
create log/server.log
create log/production.log
create log/development.log
create log/test.log

where does it go exactly, i would assume in my ruby console command prompt but how to get in there? you can't press eneter at the end of every line cause it will process and gives an error:

Code Ruby:
C:\InstantRails>$ rails shovell
'$' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

so i tried typing the whole in my recomended text editor (context) and then dropping the whole lot in. that didn't work either, i just got repeating error messages
Code Ruby:
 'create' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

so i just wondered, am i missing a trick here? is there something obvious i'm not doing cause it looks to me like there is not much of explanation in this book when things don't quite go to plan. i had this problem with another sitepoint book "build your own database driven website using PHP & MySQL" a cbout 4 years ago. you start off following the steps but they are not that clear and suddenly it all stops working and you put the book down frustrated. i just want a step by step guide that works and that looks like what you see on your screen.

i was really looking forward to learning this but at the moment, i don't think it's gonna happen cause i can't even get the thing started. aaaaarrrgh

cheers for any replies.