SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This Patrick Lenz Book...

i bought this book with the plan to give this a go and follow it step by step etc... i downloaded all the recomended downloads (rather than the newer ones), installed them and then my problems began

even with this prompt on pg18 of the book: C:\InstantRails> gem update --system it didn't seem quite right. My prompt immediately said
    Code Ruby:
    C:\InstantRails\rails_apps>
    nothing in the book that this might happen. anyway, i though i would follow the book as it appears so i changed directory so my prompt read: C:\InstantRails and typed in the following as advised:
    Code Ruby:
    C:\InstantRails> gem install rails --include-dependencies
    . got this error back:

Code Ruby:
    C:\InstantRails>gem install rails --include-dependencies
    Need to update 4 gems from [url]http://gems.rubyforge.org[/url]
    complete
    ERROR:  While executing gem ... (ArgumentError)
        install directory #<Pathname:C:/InstantRails/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rak
    e-0.7.3> not absolute

C:\InstantRails>

So i'm beginning to think this has got off to a bad start. anyway, i thought i would press on and see if anything unveiled itself later. i moved on past the mac and linux installation notes to page 41. i opened my ruby console window and prepared to make trouble!.

ok this code:

Code Ruby:
    $ rails shovell
    create
    create app/controllers
    create app/helpers
    create app/models
    create app/views/layouts
    create config/environments
    create components
    create db
    create log/server.log
    create log/production.log
    create log/development.log
    create log/test.log

where does it go exactly, i would assume in my ruby console command prompt but how to get in there? you can't press eneter at the end of every line cause it will process and gives an error:

Code Ruby:
    C:\InstantRails>$ rails shovell
    '$' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

so i tried typing the whole in my recomended text editor (context) and then dropping the whole lot in. that didn't work either, i just got repeating error messages
    Code Ruby:
     'create' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

so i just wondered, am i missing a trick here? is there something obvious i'm not doing cause it looks to me like there is not much of explanation in this book when things don't quite go to plan. i had this problem with another sitepoint book "build your own database driven website using PHP & MySQL" a cbout 4 years ago. you start off following the steps but they are not that clear and suddenly it all stops working and you put the book down frustrated. i just want a step by step guide that works and that looks like what you see on your screen.

i was really looking forward to learning this but at the moment, i don't think it's gonna happen cause i can't even get the thing started. aaaaarrrgh

cheers for any replies.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your shovell app should be in C:\InstantRails\rails_apps>shovell. You may indeed be right about getting off to a bad start. Be persistent my friend and yours will be the rewards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Errors in the book:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/books/rails1/errata.php

You don't have to enter all the code==>
    $ rails shovell
    create
    create app/controllers
    create app/helpers
    create app/models
    create app/views/layouts
    create components
    create db
    create log/server.log
    create log/test.log

"$" is to be omitted. Just enter rails shovell, it will create directory itself. You don't have to enter the rest of the code (create create app/controllers etc..), it will display it as created after you enter the rails shovell command.

You should install the latest version of Instant Rails v1.7, it will download Gems from "RubyForge", but you should be connected to internet
    to download the Gems.
    Go ahead!

Best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply, i was trying to stick to the book so that is why i downloaded version 1.3. if version 1.7 is ok, i will download that and give it all another try.

cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was getting a problem to download gems too.
    Its ok to install v1.7.
    You'll not be able to use the breakpointer client in the
    Debugging Chapter. That's not too bad an omission though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

surely the book should have made this clear?

I was thinking that the book should have made clear what was to be inputted more clear. i guess it assumes that we all have some knowledge of what we are supposed to be doing but not me, i am a beginner and thought this was a beginners book! personally i think it should assume we all know nothing if aimed at new folk. We all know what assumption is the mother of don't we. I would never have assumed that i was to omit the $ at the start.

If it is in the book, i apologise but i have just had another flick through and can't see anything mentioned. there should be a bit at the beginning stating how to use the book.

You don't have to enter all the code==>
    $ rails shovell
    create
    create app/controllers
    create app/helpers
    create app/models
    create app/views/layouts
    create components
    create db
    create log/server.log
    create log/test.log

"$" is to be omitted. Just enter rails shovell, it will create directory itself. You don't have to enter the rest of the code (create create app/controllers etc..), it will display it as created after you enter the rails shovell command.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie.romeo View Post
    I was thinking that the book should have made clear what was to be inputted more clear.
    You have a point, but this is a kind of amusing problem for anyone with Linux experience.

The $ is Linux's ">" in "C:\whatever>".

Perhaps the book could have explained that, but here we are. Stick it under your hat, you'll see that $ on blogs and such.

Skipping ahead a little, "sudo" is irrelevant for Windows, you can safely omit it from any command you read.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfie.romeo View Post
    I was thinking that the book should have made clear what was to be inputted more clear. i guess it assumes that we all have some knowledge of what we are supposed to be doing but not me, i am a beginner and thought this was a beginners book! personally i think it should assume we all know nothing if aimed at new folk. We all know what assumption is the mother of don't we. I would never have assumed that i was to omit the $ at the start.

If it is in the book, i apologise but i have just had another flick through and can't see anything mentioned. there should be a bit at the beginning stating how to use the book.
    I totally agree with you. I'm also a beginner & i was also inserting "$ rails shovell". I thought there was something wrong with my coding or Instant Rails. Its stated that this book is for begginers too, but, there are some confusing problems which should have been simplified for beginners.
    But, its good that we have this forum to solve problems.