SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone using Panic's Coda to develop?

Hello there. I'm just a small-time freelancer who knows how (X)HTML, CSS, PHP and MySQL mainly. I use a Mac and have Panic's Transmit for FTP. I have been using Dreamweaver 8 to code all my projects (used to use it to FTP too but been having lots of problems with it so switched to Transmit).

Now there's this Coda program that Panic have brought out. I've played about with the demo a little bit, haven't had a great chance to really give it a bash.

Just wondered, has anyone here used it? Had a play with it? Completed a project with it? Would you say it's worth the money?

I'm tired of using Dreamweaver 8 to be honest... It's way too big and bloaty for my needs and it takes an age to load up too. I've heard of this TextMate too, I downloaded a demo, but it didn't really seem to gel with me - am I missing the point with it?

Any opinions and experience would be much appriciated. I always respect SitePointer playerz!
    Little Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only demoed it a little too. It seemed like a neat idea, but in the short time I spent with it I wasn't swayed from Textmate + Transmit + SVN + CSSEdit.

The doc part seemed like a neat idea, except that it is web based - which is kind of annoying to me. I'm probably in the minority, but if docs are built in I went them BUILT-IN for fast searching. If I want to look on the web I have plenty of resources available.

I'll probably give it another go again in a couple months.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's SVN? I don't recognise that...

I like the app, but I may try and demo it some more. Anyone else use this Coda? What do you lot think too?

jpease: I know what you mean about the doc part. I wish it weren't online, then I can develop offline with my laptop on the sofa without having to be connected to the net!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejim84 View Post
    What's SVN? I don't recognise that...
    SVN is an abbreviation for Subversion, which is a source code management tool not completely unlike CVS.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Coda and it's got a lot of potential, but it didn't win me over from my typical combination of apps (review here).

TextMate (or e Text Editor for Windows) is awesome once you figure out how snippets and bundles work.

Depending on what kind of coding you do, skEdit + Transmit (and possibly CSSEdit) might be a better combo than using Coda (which, I think, is more expensive than those three apps combined).
    Eric Barstad
    Shadow Box Creative Media: Websites for Non-Profits
    HTML Editor Reviews: Reviews of HTML Coding Tools
    PoetryReviews.ca: Reviews of Canadian Poetry Books

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you liked Dreamweaver but didn't like its bloat, then Coda is a very good alternative.

If you're more of a hand-coding type person from the get-go, it might not be that impressive for you.

I know that by the time Coda was released I was too hooked on Textmate to want to switch over. I thought it was neat, but it wasn't worth jumping ship over to me personally.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I maybe like the idea of using TextMate, but the thing is, will it recognise PHP, HTML and CSS well? Even if the PHP or CSS is inline with the HTML code? Also, I did try a demo, but I couldn't seem to manage my project too well in it (or have I missed a point)... So do alot of people here use the TextMate and Transmit combo?