SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: my first site

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my first site

I am redoing the website for my kids' school. This is my first large scale project. Actually, it's my first project that doesn't involve putting vacation pictures up on my website.

The graphics on the left sidebar and the photos in the header are not the final versions. Hopefully, the IT guy will be able to find me better ones.

http://www.ejgejg.com/fa/default.html

Thanks!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with your comment about the pictures. They are definately not the original source files.

I did notice going through the site that the banner section is removed and the navigation becomes split between the top and bottom (sort of confusing) If you were able to, I would suggest moving the navigation (because there are so many links (to the left hand side (blue section with the pictures you dont like) Then they are always grouped together and you do not have to split them. Similar to other ares of the website where you have removed the pictures and added a third navigation. (it can tend to get confusing figuring out where to go...top, bottom or left hand side)

In the information section. The first telephone number need to have a space after the area code.

Links to outside websites should open in a new window (personal preference) or the visitor may not be able to get back to your site without hitting the back button or if they close the window, they will have to reopen a browser

There is a lot of information within the website, my only concern would be the user trying to access it without becoming confused or frustrated. (this goes back to the navigation)

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree best to keep the navigation all together if possible, the nav at the bottom of the page will definitely get missed, so move it up to the top / left.

Again, consistency between pages is good, so I don't like to see the top navigation move position when I click through from the home page as the banner containing photos is disappearing. Either add the banner in to the other pages or consider taking it off the home page.

Overall, nice job though.

Rgds

Accelerator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have fixed my jumpy navigation. I also made the executive decision to get rid of the pictures in the header that I always thought made the page too busy.

My big concern is that the site looks amateurish like somebody's mom did it between making lunches and doing laundry.

But, hey, at least it validates!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the colors, they're not in armony. Too much blue in the links.

Regards and keep on working on it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But I thought links were suppose to be blue!

I cannot change the colors scheme as I was told to use blue and red since those are the school colors.

Would it help if I made the links at the very top black?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    quite ok for a school site..
    simple and clear..though i agree the logo/graphics need more work..
    The blue does not seem that nice though...maybe something brighter?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    blue for the links is good IMO

I like the large image on the homepage, making it interesting

I think the horizontal navigation at the top should be combined into one - ie

* Home
    * About FA
    * Information
    * Student Life
    * Sports
    * Edline
    * Exchange
    * Contact Us
    * Employment

all together, instead of on two lines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would prefer that too but with this being a school they are very slow in upgrading all their computers and I need to support 800x600. I would not be able to fit all the links in the red navigation bar unless I made the text very tiny.

And the IT guy insists that unless the Exchange and Edline links are at the top and big and bold, he will get lots of calls from parents and teachers asking where Exchange and Edline are. I am hoping they are obvious enough where they are that I won't have to scale them up.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the site is really good - there is a lot of content there, and it certainly doesn't look amateurish.

I think the length of this page is a bit offputting:
    http://www.ejgejg.com/fa/sports_directions.html
    But then, you do link into it via anchors, so I don't suppose that's too much of an issue.

I like the sub menu on the left, and how that changes depending on which top-menu item is selected.

I personally wouldn't have the pages full width, because for some reason, for me, I find it harder to concentrate on page content when it is so spread out.

Also, looks like the site might take up a fairly large amount of your time time keep updated. One for the future might be to move it to some kind of content management system. There are hundreds of free ones out there.

I've done a few sites which used WordPress as a simple CMS and it worked pretty well for those...

Good job though...

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The logo looks like it was done on MS Paint. It takes a lot of professionalism away from the whole site.
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what happens when the original web guy doesn't save the source files or use a transparent background so somebody ten years later has to try and extract the logos from the lovely turquoise background.

I found a better main logo. The others I tried to fix up in GIMP but the Falcons one is still a little rough. Is there some way to smooth the letters on the yellow "The Franklin Academy" part?

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Useful content

The site is really nice as there are a lot of useful content on it and it certainly doesn't look amateurish. I love the large image on the homepage. I feel the horizontal navigation at the top has to be combined into one.
    Affordable Web Hosting - Only $3.95/mo.
    10,000 MB WebSpace, 100 GB Premium Bandwidth, Host 10 Domains
    Free Blog, POP3, PHP, SiteBuilder, Ecommerce, WebStats, FP Ext.
    Budget Reseller Hosting - Start Your Hosting Company - $25/mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abelking2648 View Post
    The site is really nice as there are a lot of useful content on it and it certainly doesn't look amateurish.
    Thanks. Unfortunately the school's IT guy could not get PHP installed so they scrapped my whole redesign and went back to their old site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey
    Well done with the site, I like the way you have used DIV tags to set it up rather than using tables. I agree with the image situation deffinately put the pressure on their, however its looking good and would love to see it when you've finished if thats poss. CSS design works well and the choice of colors is right on target.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    I am redoing the website for my kids' school. This is my first large scale project. Actually, it's my first project that doesn't involve putting vacation pictures up on my website.

The graphics on the left sidebar and the photos in the header are not the final versions. Hopefully, the IT guy will be able to find me better ones.

http://www.ejgejg.com/fa/default.html

Thanks!
    Sometimes I can't see the pictures of your website, and sometimes several of them are shown. So perhaps your server has a problem. Moreover, several pages of your website can't be shown. If your website is based on a CMS, you'd better choose a better server.