SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to stop IE from caching a file?

I'm not sure if this is a PHP question, sorry if it's not. I have a website where there is a flash mp3 player that loads an xspf playlist. Users can submit links to add to the xspf file, but when the page is refreshed in IE it appears it's using the cached xspf file because the new song doesn't appear. I dont have this problem in firefox or safari. Is there any way I can prevent it from loading the cached version of the file?

Maybe there is something I can do with php so that the xspf link (a parameter for the swf) is a little different everytime but still points to the same file on my server (using a .htaccess redirect)... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had problems with this one too, especially with IE6.
    You can add a querystring to the end of the url of the xspf file. For example, a timestamp. Or you can add an Expires header telling IE that it expires immediately, but I've noticed you still have to touch() the file.

I've been looking for a better solution for this one, so if anyone knows how... ?
    FOR SALE: 1 set of morals, never used, will sell cheap

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tell IE to not cache the file, header(). Also, if you are refreshing the same page dynamically, it is best to pass a unique query string value. IE tends to choke with regards to that.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, as far as the thing I can do with the header, such as make it not cache files or have it expire immediately, can I have it just do that to that specific file, or would that prevent all caching (which I don't want)? Sounds like the best way would be the unique query string thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just put it in the file that's generating your xspf playlist - it will only affect that one file. (This is, of course, all assuming that a PHP script is generating your xspf file.)
    PHP questions? RTFM
    MySQL questions? RTFM