SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Zealot kimberlybarryd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When do you say enough is enough

I have a client that cant make up her mind on the design. To date I have built 19 headers which were all approved than later needed changes. The layout went from 765px wide centered to 900px wide left to 80% fluid to 100% fluid. The nav has gone from top below header to above header to left and now right. I've lost track of color changes.
    When I took the job I told her to give me the layout that she wanted and that a few changes were OK.
    I think this is beyond the acceptable amount of changes. I would like some opinions please.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a couple relevant readings for when a similar question came up earlier this year:

http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451936
    http://www.gustoes.com/web_development/p2_articleid/66

Good luck!

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying explaining that you gave a cost based on an estimate of the total time to make the entire site, and you have now used up X times that amount on just the header!

State the number of hours worked so far and say if that was charged at so much per hour it would come to ...
    And then there is the rest of the site to build...

An earlier thread this year said you should state the number of draft layouts for the design that is included in the price, and the number of revisions for parts that are likely to be changed.

A friend had a client exactly like this. In the end she dropped him as he took up more time than all her other clients combined!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How are you billing her?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you already think enough is enough. Well, let us confirm that for you. Put your foot down, it's only fair.

Is the entire thing done to your satisfaction or is there more areas to go on to? If so, how much?

Dr John's suggestion is very good I reckon;
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr John View Post
    State the number of hours worked so far and say if that was charged at so much per hour it would come to ...
    And then there is the rest of the site to build...
    ride it like it's stolen

SitePoint Zealot kimberlybarryd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your advice. I sent her an email with the links Mondala supplied and a phone number from another web designer plus her deposit back. Still waiting for a responce back. I won't be to upset if she walks.
    Am I correct to say that the unfinished site still belongs to me until she pays.
    Thanks.