SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is Javascript the best for context ad application

I would like to develop my own context ad application similar to http://www.kontera.com/demo.aspx, but I am not a programmer and do not know where to start. All the ones I have seen so far use JavaScript, but I would like a professional opinion as to whether this is the best programming language to use for this type of thing. Since this a JavaScript forum, I thought this would be a good place to find out, but perhaps there might be some bias here. Anyway, I am open to all suggestions and comments from those who love JavaScript AND those who hate it.
    Last edited by boballoo; Jun 13, 2007 at 10:23. Reason: grammar correction
    EditFast
    Any Document --> Any Time!
    Web Site Copy Editing & Proofreading

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The more of the processing you can do server side and the less you do client side in JavaScript the better. I refuse to use Kontera because their script is nearly double the size of the maximum page size that most people will wait to see load. They will need to rewrite their script to be no more than 1/10 the current size before I would consider using it.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that is something I need to know. Thank you for replying and thanks for the useful info. I will keep this in mind as I search for the optimal solution.

Any ideas on how to keep the processing server side? I know the script I use will have to "examine" the text on the page before it can display the ads so I am not sure how to do this except client side after the page has loaded. Maybe the text for each page could be stored on my server, but that would mean the advertiser would have to provide me with access to their server (I doubt that many site owners would allow this), or at least provide me with the text for the page in question which would complicate the process of updating or making any changes to the text that the client might want to make.

Perhaps the Kontera people have studied this and the resulting client side processing is the ONLY solution?
    EditFast
    Any Document --> Any Time!
    Web Site Copy Editing & Proofreading