SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    He's No Good To Me Dead silver trophybronze trophy stymiee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Google has no illusion of detecting all paid links nor do they care to. They want to find and eliminate major link sellers. Their goal is to eliminate the manipulation of their SERPs. Not end paid links.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google can't detect many paid links and the future algo changes would not be 100% accurate,
    I agree with this, depending on you define "many". They have no trouble at all finding the "Preset" sterotypical paid link in navigation in a header, left or right column, or footer.

Their goal is to eliminate the manipulation of their SERPs. Not end paid links.
    What is the difference? Isn't a paid link a manipulation of the search engine rankings (assuming it lacks a no-follow tag)?

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stymiee View Post
    Google has no illusion of detecting all paid links nor do they care to. They want to find and eliminate major link sellers. Their goal is to eliminate the manipulation of their SERPs. Not end paid links.
    they want to detect all paid links that effect the rankings but this is not 100% possible i say, since they cannot go more than detecting major PR8-9-10 sites manually and finding "ads,sponsors,paid links,advertisements" words automatically, other than this they have no chance!
    Given this situation they need to decrease the importance they give to PR and backlinks and increase some other factor's importance since the PR would be a biased metric. Anyway this is my 2 cents

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandondrury View Post
    They have no trouble at all finding the "Preset" sterotypical paid link in navigation in a header, left or right column, or footer.
    Detecting links in these positions is hardly an effective way of dealing with the paid link problem. These are the same places webmasters have used to link to resources for their readers since the early days of the internet.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burkul View Post
    they want to detect all paid links that effect the rankings but this is not 100% possible i say, since they cannot go more than detecting major PR8-9-10 sites manually and finding "ads,sponsors,paid links,advertisements" words automatically, other than this they have no chance!
    Given this situation they need to decrease the importance they give to PR and backlinks and increase some other factor's importance since the PR would be a biased metric. Anyway this is my 2 cents
    Google has no illusions about detecting every paid link. They know they can't do it nor do they care to. They only need to stop the biggest offenders and use a PR campaign to deter the rest. By cracking down on paid links they will improve their SERPs.

And you fail to consider that they may not be able to automate paid link detection but human beings who do manual reviews are much harder to fool. You also fail to consider that they can consider off site factors to find paid links. You may blend paid links into your site well so they look natural but if you advertise somewhere that you are selling links you're still caught red handed.

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can totally understand google wanting to make it difficult to purchase pagerank. A couple of comments on this:
    1. I have a dance site that I have owned since 2002 that is very popular, yet does not have a high pagerank. Traffic is great, and I would do fine even if google did not rank me. Pagerank is not everything, and people should focus on making a great site.
    2. I have purchased advertising on many occasions, and what was most important to me was the quality of visitors I received as a result of the ad. I have found that buying text links on high pagerank sites typically did not deliver compared with buying ads on popular sites that were about my topic.
    3. While getting links can help both with rankings and even pagerank, this is nothing compared with having a site that people love and want to visit often. People should work on their site 90% of the time and do seo 10% of the time. Too often these two things are backwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And you fail to consider that they may not be able to automate paid link detection but human beings who do manual reviews are much harder to fool. You also fail to consider that they can consider off site factors to find paid links.
    i said;
    they cannot go more than detecting major PR8-9-10 sites manually
    so i don't fail to consider manual detection, please read what i write carefully.

Google has no illusions about detecting every paid link. They know they can't do it nor do they care to.
    if they cannot detect MOST paid links, there will always be unfair competition which is not desirable, i believe they should decrease the importance of PR eventually.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    i said;
    they cannot go more than detecting major PR8-9-10 sites manually
    so i don't fail to consider manual detection, please read what i write carefully.
    The PR of the page is irrelevant. Whether it be a PR 4 or PR 10 the will approach them the same. They have human reviews for spam for any website. Why can't they do the same for link sellers?

if they cannot detect MOST paid links, there will always be unfair competition which is not desirable, i believe they should decrease the importance of PR eventually.
    You are making an assumption on how much they can detect. That's an assumption you cannot make. Combine the fact that they are a multi-billion dollar company and they have more PhDs on staff then most companies have employees and suddenly what they can do becomes pretty darn incredible. Plus all sites will be crawled and flagged by the same crawlers and every website will be able to be reported by users so I would say there is no unfair advantage for any website.

And PR is what revolutionized search. It's importance cannot be underestimated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also doesn't matter how exploitable any ranking methodology is, so long as it is still providing the most relevant results.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While there may sometimes be reasons to hide the fact a financial transaction was involved in the placement of a link, I have to ask... if the main purpose of that link is to pass pagerank "under the radar", then something doesn't seem right. Taking that a step further and saying that you are selling a PR 7 link, the intent is obvious... you are selling pagerank.

I believe that if people spent more time trying to make their site a destination that people come to love and want to visit often, this whole business with buying and selling pagerank becomes less important.

In the case of directories, there is a value to search engines and humans when links are reviewed for quality. It is my hope that google will find a way to identify the directories that put quality first. If they are successful in doing this, directory owners will have an incentive to work harder on creating a quality site. A side benefit will be that these same directories can sell advertising as a result of their popularity/quality. The same applies to virtually any site.

What makes google arguably the best search engine is the quality of their results. If google is listing sites that are destinations that people love to visit often, and provide quality information, people will be more pleased with the search results. It seems to be google is trying their best to get this message accross, and sometimes a penalty is needed in order to do this.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that if people spent more time trying to make their site a destination that people come to love and want to visit often, this whole business with buying and selling pagerank becomes less important.
    I agree that there is something to the all white hat approach. However, in most niches, there aren't a lot of links that are simply passed around. For obvious reasons, the webmaster genre seems to be an exception.

It also doesn't matter how exploitable any ranking methodology is, so long as it is still providing the most relevant results.
    Agreed. I think Google is completely cool with sacrificing a few for the good of many.

Brandon
    Home Recording Forum -
    Make 60% Commission Pushing my new mega system
    Killer Home Recording