SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multi-Developer software

I have a small company so we're still molding the way we do things. It's come to my attention that there's software available that helps with version management so you dont' overwrite files attached to other versions. Also, I've heard there's features that require a developer to "checkout" specific files so no one else can work on that one file at the same time.

Where can I find software like this? Is there anything cheap or even free that can do these things?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Subversion

You can see some of the typical usage at DocForge.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking at the installation file that has to be installed as an addon for apache. I'm currently NOT running on a dedicated server. Are there any other options?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Webnet View Post
    Looking at the installation file that has to be installed as an addon for apache. I'm currently NOT running on a dedicated server. Are there any other options?
    You could also give some distributed solutions like Mercurial and Bazaar a try, but with those you won't have the option to put exclusive locks on files and is it really a big problem to just put a server somewhere into your office that can also be accessed via SSH and HTTP?

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SVN works fine on locally or using network shares, no need to have it on your public web server. In fact, you really should NOT have it on your public web server.

PS: A valid option for a small firm is hosted SVN. There are a few providers out there for this sort of thing, and they are a very good value. Especially considering the administrative overhead of keeping backups secured and offsite and such.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TortoiseSVN is for Windows and very simple to use. You can install the svn-serve to act as the server.
    - Son Nguyen
    AdSpeed.com - Ad Serving and Ad Management Made Easy