SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pure hyperbole - a security researcher found a vulnerability (their job as it happens) in a beta browser for Windows - this is not saying lots of people have been affected in the wild - that would be cause for concern.

This as anyone not indulging in mudslinging knows is just par for the course for new, web enabled titles of just about any sort.

There are many, many unfixed known Windows specific attack vectors and yet we still all (almost all of us have to in one capacity or another) use it. It's all swim at your own risk all the time.

Don't just click or go to any stupid websites and use the caution you always should and there is simply no problem at all.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandaggio View Post
    This is pure hyperbole
    Agreed. Of course there are lots of bugs, security issues, etc. It is the first day of public beta for crying out loud. Anyone using a browser on its very first day of public beta on what is a new platform for the browser on websites other than their own or they trust really well is freaking idiot.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That "security researcher"'s disclosure policy is also a joke and he's not doing much to lend credibility to his field or his claims by indulging in his little vendetta against apple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't shoot the messenger...just providing some info. Not being aware of potential security risks is being an idiot in my personal opinion.
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow Safari on Windows

I wrote a post on why it won't take over the market like Apple plan methinks.

Positives:

• Quick at loading pages
    • Gets the job done - easy and without fuss

Negatives:

• Dodgy anti-alising makes body text difficult to read (but is great for headings)
    • Doesnt have any revolutionary features like mouse gestures or Speed Dial
    • No developer features like FF has
    • Not really for power users

I don't think it will take over the market because there are tons of other browser that do what it does, and even better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbutler View Post
    Don't shoot the messenger...just providing some info. Not being aware of potential security risks is being an idiot in my personal opinion.
    Nothing against you at all, sorry if it appeared that way . I just think a little "hey apple here's a problem" note on that guy's part would have been a better approach, and I'd say that for any software product/company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pm63 View Post
    I wrote a post on why it won't take over the market like Apple plan methinks.

Positives:

• Quick at loading pages
    • Gets the job done - easy and without fuss

Negatives:

• Dodgy anti-alising makes body text difficult to read (but is great for headings)
    • Doesnt have any revolutionary features like mouse gestures or Speed Dial
    • No developer features like FF has
    • Not really for power users

I don't think it will take over the market because there are tons of other browser that do what it does, and even better.
    I'm very much a Firefox lover however you seem to contradict yourself, It's quick at loader pages but there are browser which load it quicker? Which?

IE? No, Mozilla? No Opera? No.

Apple have a strong platform to build upon with iTunes and Quicktime being downloaded too. Lets wait and see before ruling Safari out, it probably matches Opera's market share now because lets face it, Opera's is very low.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matt Alexander
    Alexander Site Design

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just downloaded Safari to try it out and the text isn't showing up. I opened it again and none of the text shows up. The buttons are blank and most of the webpages are blank. ???? I'm using windows xp and something's wrong.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PPK suggests this is really why they released it (quoting from a site I can't open):
    http://www.quirksmode.org/elsewhere/...html#entry1302
    "Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what
    it might appear to others that what you were or might
    have been was not otherwise than what you had been
    would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar View Post
    PPK suggests this is really why they released it (quoting from a site I can't open):
    For a company with something like $16 billion yearly revenue, $2 million a month isn't a percentage point for their stock shares... I think releasing Safari on Windows was much more about the iPhone. 95% of developers wouldn't have been able to develop and test without access to the browser the phone runs.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My installation went well, no problems at all as far as stability is concerned, the whole GUI feels a bit slow on my aging machine though. Anyway, super glad I can test on Safari on any Windows PC now.

I have 2 comments,
    1) Bookmarks > Open In Tabs
    This works just like in Firefox, which is actually the problem, I want to open all in tabs yes, BUT I want to keep whatever tabs I had already opened intact, why does FF and Safari overwrite my existing tabs?? Only Opera keeps my tabs untouched, well not completely, the tab having focus will be overwritten, new tabs added etc, but I actually want to keep that one tab too, but in light of the "trend" on this feature, I am nitpicking on Opera. IE is the laggard as usual, does not have this feature at all.

2) Maximizing application window
    Does not work. When I zip quckly to top right corner to click the X, the app behind Safari closes instead of Safari, Safari just looks like its maximized, which causes mistakes like mine.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good that Apple is starting to do more software for Windows. Although I rarely use windows I'll be glad to be able to use the same browser as I do on my mac.
    Template Basics - Professional royalty free CSS/XHTML templates!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eldacar View Post
    I'm sure it's a nice bonus but I really doubt search revenue is the biggest factor when there's the big iPhone reason slapping everyone in the face.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iTechno View Post
    I'm very much a Firefox lover however you seem to contradict yourself, It's quick at loader pages but there are browser which load it quicker? Which?
    I said its quick at loading pages, but there are other browsers which do what it does, and some even better.

By "do what it does/does better" I didn't mean the page loading, I was talking about the browser as a whole. Safari is a good basic browser, but power users might prefer FF or Opera.

IE? No, Mozilla? No Opera? No.

Apple have a strong platform to build upon with iTunes and Quicktime being downloaded too. Lets wait and see before ruling Safari out, it probably matches Opera's market share now because lets face it, Opera's is very low.
    I wasn't ruling it out, in fact I do say in my blog that only time will tell. Without a doubt, it will gain market share, as any product would do when released on another platform, but I don't think it will have the "everyone flock towards this" effect, as was the case with iTunes. And yes, as far as I know it has a bigger market share than Opera, but probably only because it's bundled with OS X and most people on OS X use it. Thats not to say its BETTER than Opera...

So I think it will increase its share, but not in the same way as iTunes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Safari 3.0.1 for Windows is now available for download through Apple's Software Update tool, which fixes the security hole. Apple's so bad right guys?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the update but didn't notice any changes. It must have been primarily a security update.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    I did the update but didn't notice any changes. It must have been primarily a security update.
    Yeah that's all it was for. I really doubt apple's going to do a major overhaul of their user interface to address everyone's font smoothing complaints in a .0.1 update.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Safari 3.0.1 for Windows is now available for download through Apple's Software Update tool, which fixes the security hole. Apple's so bad right guys?
    Just opened Safari thinking I'd be asked to update, or it would be an automatic update - which didn't happen.

Vinnie, what's the Software Update tool? I presume I have to go back to the Apple site? Bit late here now so don't want to check directly right now, will do so tomorrow, but was here and reading the posts so thought I'd ask the question :-)

Nadia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia P View Post
    Just opened Safari thinking I'd be asked to update, or it would be an automatic update - which didn't happen.

Vinnie, what's the Software Update tool? I presume I have to go back to the Apple site? Bit late here now so don't want to check directly right now, will do so tomorrow, but was here and reading the posts so thought I'd ask the question :-)

Nadia
    Apple Software Update is a separate application similar to the update tool that's built into OS X. It should have been an optional install at the time you installed Safari. If you installed it, then go into your Start menu and look for the software update app. If you didn't, yeah you have to go back to apple.com to get the new version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I just downloaded and installed. Not impressed with the look, feel or ability to customize. As with every other experience I've had with Apple, I feel like my hands are tied - I just get frustrated. All it's good for here is testing html cross platform. Firefox beats the pants off of Safari.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Yeah that's all it was for. I really doubt apple's going to do a major overhaul of their user interface to address everyone's font smoothing complaints in a .0.1 update.
    Actually I was hoping for a save/apply button for preferences so that I could reset the homepage to my site.
    InternetSAR.org

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does one browser have to be better (in a lot of peoples eye's)?

It's just a damn browser - not a political or religious affiliation (shouldn't be).

I am really getting to old for this - all this nonsense and chuckling over worthless security warnings and complaining about a UI that a lot of you are far less familiar with.

So predictable and typical - wah wah wah about whatever is new and whatever you are less familiar with. Bet you don't like Brussels sprouts either - wait - even I don't like Brussels sprouts .

1. Safari is a browser - for browsing the web - it does that very well so we are good there.
    2. Apple is using this beta to work out a lot of the kinks that are being complained about - which is further ironic that these issues are a sticking point for people...as if M$ is not at least as guilty of sharing wares many feel should already be more polished. This is status quo for new most new releases - wish it wasn't, but it is. Viewed with this lens - Safari Win is plenty functional at this moment.

Making browsers is not child's play - and Apple, like the UI or not, has taken a decent first stab on the Windows side.

The comparisons and complaints that have been levied (by Ars or anyone here) are nearly totally erroneous and unfair - like comparing the best 12 year old tennis player's game to the best pro. Really, again - this is a beta people. Complaining about an unimplemented feature in an unfinished product is downright silly.

The fact remains, a whole bunch of credible, sharp people (here on this board) have installed Safari Win and used it with very few bumps in the road, if any. The posts that are made by those just complaining or with an agenda are far less complete, or insightful - like ,"safari sux! firefox rulez!". So if you read between the lines you can see who is really telling truth - those that bothered to offer a real assessment.

Be happy you can test in Safari easily when you couldn't before and get over hating on Apple - betting against them these days is pretty foolhardy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandaggio View Post
    Why does one browser have to be better in a lot of peoples eye's?
    Because only Firefox can do this:

No other browser comes close.