SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberlybarryd View Post
    Screenshot of Arial Font.http://homesincolchester.ca/screenshot.htm Is this the way Safari looks with Arial?
    No, this seems like a seriously bad beta.

SitePoint Zealot kimberlybarryd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    No, this seems like a seriously bad beta.
    I Never tested for safari before. Most sites I do are local and we can only see a Mac on TV.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great news for those not on a mac...which is most i imagine....now where a decent alternative for a non-intel mac user needing to test on windows!!!!

We tested it in our office today and did notice rendering differences and a possible bug which involved images that have been inserted using image replacement not showing. I think someone else mentioned it above. We used IE 6 and 7 i think and both did the same thing....im not knocking it though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too impressed so far...

I installed it last night (on an XP Pro box). First time I loaded it up it crashed. What was funny was the popup that appeared saying "Report this to Microsoft?" After much hemming and hawing I thought I'd spare Apple that embarrassment. Looking forward to a working version.
    A.P.

generatedata.com - free JS/PHP/MySQL random test data generator.
    Form Tools - free PHP/MySQL form processor.

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was away for a bit in the country (Upstate as they say in NYC) and just heard about this...

Very, very cool - very, very helpful.

That would be ironic if Safari becomes my everyday browser on Win - like some sort of antithetical, parallel universe .

For those that think Apple has mud on its face for the quirks you have seen when installed on Vista - Vista is itself a beta in all but formal name. Lots of software won't run on it - in fact the US Feds won't allow it to be used for anything important - yet - a service pack or two later maybe - but not today.

In the interest of fairness (and working software) feedback on the XP version I imagine will/would be better.

I will post back with my experiences on the XP version a little later tonight.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real parallel universe thing will come when Safari displaces Opera as the fourth most popular browser on Windows (IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Safari, then Opera). Charmedlover will be fit to be tied.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLB View Post
    The real parallel universe thing will come when Safari displaces Opera as the fourth most popular browser on Windows (IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Safari, then Opera). Charmedlover will be fit to be tied.
    I think Safari would beat Seamonkey. Actually I'd be surprised if there are more Seamonkey users than Opera users right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    I think Safari would beat Seamonkey. Actually I'd be surprised if there are more Seamonkey users than Opera users right now.
    That is kind of surprising, but Opera's market share is just so small that it isn't that hard to beat. I wouldn't be surprised if Safari beat out Opera on the Windows platform within three months of the production release of Safari 3.0. Maybe within a year it will beat out Seamonkey on windows.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    From that perspective, I'd see it as bad news. Any browsers other than IE and Firefox that gains more than a few percent market share means more hacking and testing for developers. They'll *never* all render things exactly the same, no matter how hard they try, so we'll always have to work around differences.
    Dan, That is a valid point. I was just rejoicing the fact that IE is finally getting a good kick in the teeth . It is shameful that developers would have to spend great deal of their time having to come up with workarounds to make all Browsers happy. That, it appears, is what is going to happen in the future regardless.
    ------------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using safari for my surfing for the past 24 hours and thus far have been pleased.

I haven't encountered any sorts of crashes or errors as of yet. It's good to know now that as a PC User, you can test your site across the 4 major browsers (IE, FF, Opera, Safari) & for the *nix people Konqueror (if you're possibly running Nix as well).

Has anyone encountered any sort of crashes or bugs as of yet while browsing? I understand that some have had issues with installing, i installed fine on both a Winxp Pro & Home systems.

Also, is Safari extensible like FF? Is there a community of developers that develop extensions?

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm... Well it is way better on a mac!
    Waiting to see some improvements soon...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    From a philosophy perspective yes, not so much from a technical standpoint.

Off Topic:

Though I have to wonder why the philosophical arguments are appearing on Joel on Software of all places.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks like nightly builds of WebKit are available for Windows now too. Pretty cool:
    http://nightly.webkit.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great explanation. Based on this, I think both methods have their place. I would prefer Apple's methods when working on documents to be printed (e.g. Adobe Illustrator and sometimes Photoshop), but if something is supposed to be read on screen then it should follow Microsoft's lead. In the case of programs that create documents that can either be printed or destined to on screen reading then one should be able to swap back and forth between the two modes.

In the case of webpages the look should be defined by micro managed font-weight definitions using integer values.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One issue i'm having on Safari BETA is the buttons of these WYSIWYG Editor don't work. Is that a case of things on the mac as well?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit View Post
    One issue i'm having on Safari BETA is the buttons of these WYSIWYG Editor don't work. Is that a case of things on the mac as well?
    (OS X 10.4.9, Safari 3.0) I can't seem to turn on the WYSIWYG editor (I just use the regular textarea) but the buttons on the standard editor work fine

WYSIWYG in general has worked fine in Safari for some time though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    (OS X 10.4.9, Safari 3.0) I can't seem to turn on the WYSIWYG editor (I just use the regular textarea) but the buttons on the standard editor work fine

WYSIWYG in general has worked fine in Safari for some time though...
    Safari BETA on WinXP, ya, i tried both the quick reply and the standard WYSIWYG Editor here that we use to post on the forums and i can't insert links, bold text, insert smile, nothing. Which isn't that big of a deal to me, but was just seeing if anyone else was having the same issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the Microsoft haters drive me nuts some times. I'm sorry but IE 7 is a nice browser and blows Safari away IMO. At least for now.

Apple fans can now throw rocks at my head!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwingate View Post
    All the Microsoft haters drive me nuts some times. I'm sorry but IE 7 is a nice browser and blows Safari away IMO. At least for now.

Apple fans can now throw rocks at my head!
    Not everyone likes or drives the same car.

As web development professionals and people who may be coding for the iPhone, it behooves us to be familiar with Safari.

This thread is not pro Safari per se. Just a dialog about this news.

Safari Win is a strategic move by Jobs (you don't need an SDK when you can make standards based apps built for running in a very fast, standards based browser) to allow regular, run of the mill web developers to code for and test for the iPhone.

Really, that is what Safari Win is about (doesn't mean consumer adoption won't follow - it just isn't the reason for Safari Win right now). It's smart business, not a Holy War.

An early Safari only iPhone app mockup - that can be viewed and used on Windows now - that really is wild.

My XP Pro/SP2 P3 laptop has had no problems so far with the Safari Win beta - it's a trip really .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am posting this from Safari Win. Quite a good first stab - looks tight IMO. Stable so far (on 5 year old hardware) and plenty fast.

Something that further supports that this is an iPhone dev tool/test bed is that you can resize textareas - there is a drag handle on the lower right corner. This is not in Mac Safari currently.

On the iPhone (so it would appear) you will be able to resize the field with your fingers instead.

As many have pointed out, there are bugs or incomplete/lacking features. Expect these issues to be resolved in fairly short thrift.

----

I see now that Vinnie pointed out the textarea resizing and Safari iPhone connection earlier - interesting indeed.
    Last edited by brandaggio; Jun 12, 2007 at 21:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been playing more with Safari and I'm beginning to agree with some others that this is more of an alpha release than a beta release. Beta indicates that something is pretty complete and ready for real world testing. With Safari v3.0b, however, there is lots of stuff like preferences that still don't work.

As others have observed Apple deciding to make Safari a primary development platform for the iPhone is a very smart move. This along with more PDAs and cell phones adopting a standards compliant web browser like Opera will go a long way towards making it feasible to build applications for these devices. I may decide to take more efforts to make my site work really well on handhelds if I know there is a greater market potential.
    InternetSAR.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mate rick just installed it on a windows xp pro edition, it ran once, tried to get through our internet filtering system/proxy server and died a serious death. lol!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tried to get through our internet filtering system/proxy server and died a serious death. lol!
    ... did you set the proxy server in Safari config ? ... on the one I downloaded I could not try since the option was grayed out ... but I don't use a proxy, perhaps it only activates if it does not detect a connection ? or perhaps its borked.

Its also possible (proxy aside) that your firewall/content filter requires work to allow it to access the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan Butler

Midwest Web Design