SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nwingate View Post
    Is it just me or does Safari make all the text blurry? It's driving me nuts.

I downloaded it and tried it... now I'm done. I'll keep it on my system to test out my sites in safari but I'm not going to use a browser that gives me a head ache.
    edit => preferences...

select "appearance" and choose another font smoothing option.

Yes Safari is doing its own font smoothing, but then again IE7 does as well...

Is Still Alive silver trophybronze trophy RetroNetro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems a little bold to me compared to the other browsers I have used.

I have seen this look in screenshots before but I guess now that I am actually seeing it live, I am more concerned with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Do you have ClearType turned off in Windows? It takes some getting used to antialiasing when you've never had it. I only made the switch along with Vista. It looks like Safari uses its own antialiasing.. I'm not sure.. just looks a bit different.
    Thanks Dan, I'll give it a try.
    Part of me is saying... this can't be normal. But then I remember how much Apple puts design over function and think it could be normal. The fact that they still have the mouse they do amazes me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, double post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    edit => preferences...

select "appearance" and choose another font smoothing option.
    Thanks, I did that but it didn't work...

Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Yes Safari is doing its own font smoothing, but then again IE7 does as well...
    Yes, but it looks good in IE7 and looks blurry in Safari.

Not trying to be anti-mac because I like them... but it's things like this that keep me from using them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post

I have seen this look in screenshots before but I guess now that I am actually seeing it live, I am more concerned with it.
    you know what... that's exactly what it is. Beyond looking a little blurry normal fonts look bold and bold fonts look double bold to the point that the letters are bleading into each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see another good browser is out for PC. Maybe IE will start to die out now (or it will adapt and evolve and the engineers will finally get up to web standards)!
    Tipem no fancy sig, yup
    Need Neopets Help? Try Neopets
    fun adoptable eggs

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not so sure I agree with the stats on the Safari homepage all too much...

I just hope more websites work in Safari now. Perhaps less IE usage too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is fantastic news! The more browsers I can test on without having to move between environments the better. I'll definately be using this at work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The font smoothing of Safari is sort of a love/hate thing. Some love it cause it makes things look a little more filled out and uniform where as thinner font smoothing tends to make things look sparse and empty. But on the same token, the thickness is a bit overkill.

The next hat-trick I am waiting for is for Apple to release OS X as a hardware agnostic operating system. In other words, Mac OS X available for both PC and Mac hardware. What do they have to lose? Yeah you buy macs for the fluid software to hardware integration, but Apple will never be a true leader until it breaks those barriers.

OS X will still be as sexy as its always been whether its locked in grey box or a beige box.
    Keep it Symple!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm getting invisible text everywhere with Safari, is anyone else having this problem?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mpdesigns View Post
    What do they have to lose? Yeah you buy macs for the fluid software to hardware integration, but Apple will never be a true leader until it breaks those barriers.
    They have everything to lose. A key component of Apple's business model is maintaining their .. aura. If that 'certain cool factor' that sets them apart disappears, and they become just another box on the shelf at the PC store, people could stop buying Apple stuff altogether. Remember that the best software is rarely the most successful software... they can't rely on that either.

SitePoint Zealot kimberlybarryd's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cant get it to open a html file.(right click, open with) It just goes to the home page. Any ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    And I hear that Konqueror may not be too far behind with KDE 4.0 coming to Windows as well (though that'll get its own thread once it's been confirmed, of course).
    If that is true, it is all good news. I could almost see IE feeling the squeeze. Not a bad thing though given its unfair dominance in the market.
    ------------------

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rageh View Post
    If that is true, it is all good news.
    From that perspective, I'd see it as bad news. Any browsers other than IE and Firefox that gains more than a few percent market share means more hacking and testing for developers. They'll *never* all render things exactly the same, no matter how hard they try, so we'll always have to work around differences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IE will never "feel the squeeze", unless of course MS stops shipping it with windows and makes a first-time boot screen with available browsers in the market listed and their features outlined. On the other hand... no, not even then.

As far as Safari goes, it's nice and all, just another tool test designs, I don't see it offering anything to me that Opera didn't all these years. Also, I take those comparisons of Safari and Opera at apple website with a huge rock of salt, at least on my Windows Vista, this beta is noticeably slower at starting up than Opera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works great in Parallels

There seems to be some problems with cookies... I tried turning them off to test something but they remained stubbornly on. I suppose it's only a beta version, so there are bound to be bugs. Although wouldn't it be great if every web browser still accepted cookies even when the user switched them off!

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thanks a bunch, this is great news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, for those who don't have Macs, this Windows version ISN'T the same as the current Mac one. There is also a new beta version for the Mac available, but I can't imagine everyone with a Mac is going to rush out and download it straight away, if at all...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor87 View Post
    I'm getting invisible text everywhere with Safari, is anyone else having this problem?

I am too. Except in my case its the text in the menus up the top as well. I also can't type any urls into the address or search bar.

Not a good start.
    Turning Point Development Pty Ltd
    Turning Ideas into reality

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jylyn View Post
    I can't imagine everyone with a Mac is going to rush out and download it straight away, if at all...
    If not now, at least when it's out of beta. If Jobs is to be believed, more than 3/4 of Mac users upgraded to the latest version of the OS already. Mac users keep up with the versions much more so than Internet Explorer users.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed it on WinXP Pro and so far things are working fine, although I had to turn the font smoothing down and I'd still love to see it off completely.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy KLB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post

I have Safari running on WinXP Professional SP2 with no problems. It installed cleanly with no issues.

Like Johnny, I'm not liking the extra boldness of text. As far as I'm concerned, all browsers should render the thickness of text in the same fashion. Since all browsers render the thickness of fonts the same way except for Safari, Safari's rendering should be considered wrong and classified as a rendering bug. I submitted this "bug" via the report a bog feature. Maybe if enough others report this as well Apple will change this behavior.
    Ken Barbalace: EnvironmentalChemistry.com (Blog, Careers)
    InternetSAR.org
    Volunteers Assist Search and Rescue via Internet
    My Firefox Theme: Classic Compact
    Based onFirefox's default theme but uses much less window space

SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy Nadia P's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off to download now too :-)

Nadia

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed it and it works good. Only thing I don't like is that I can't scroll using my UltraNav and Trackball on my Thinkpad. I assume this is because the app is not coded using the same APIs as Windows apps which the driver probably only supports. Not a big issue, but annoying enough that I'll probably only use it for testing web sites.