SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Windows Vista and File Sharing

I am having issues accessing shared files on our home network. We have a home network which consists of a HP pavillion desktop PC where the files are stored and 2 acer laptops which are used to access the files. It is a wireless network. I cannot access the files on the desktop that are shared with the 2 laptops. The desktop is running windows vista and one of the laptops is running windows vista and another is running windows xp.

I tried turning network discovery and file sharing on at the network and sharing center but I still cant access the files stored on the desktop from the laptops. Wn I go to the Network folder and try to access the desktop computer it says access denied. I am logged on as the administrator. I also cannot connect to any printers connected to the desktop from the laptops. When I type in the location of the printer in the Add Printer Wizard it says that the printer could not be found.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the printer, open Control Panel on the desktop, right click on the printer, and click "Sharing...". On the dialog that opens, click "Change sharing options", acknowledge the prompt to gain administrator access, and check off the "Share this printer" checkbox.

For sharing drives/directories, right click on the drive or folder, and choose "Sharing...". Choose who you want to share with (ex: "Everyone" in the dropdown), and click "Share".

Finally, to make both discoverable over the network without typing in network paths: Open Control Panel, then the "Network and Sharing Center" panel. Under the "Sharing and Discovery" section on the window, make sure to turn "Network discovery", "File sharing" and "Printer sharing" on.