User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Multiple Users Updating One Website

Hi,

I have a site that several people need to access, but I want to maintain backup copies of the site prior to each modification. As you know, updating a site from the local hdd of one computer will override what another person uploaded earlier. In addition, we do not know when we are overriding eachother's work unless explicitly told.

Is there anything that handles all of this for us in a more sophisticated way that say, something like Macromedia/Adobe Contribute? (That's all I could think of.) I have had this problem for years but never was able to find a good solution for it.

(I am sorry, I didn't know which forum to stick this question in :\. A mod can move it to where it is appropriate - none of the categories seemed to be a good match, except this forum section's header.)
    Webmaster in training. Just learning! Go easy!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

cms

A Content Management System (CMS) should let you save copies of every file with every change. Take a look at Subversion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes correct. If you want users to edit and commit changes to the same file and also maintain versioning at the same time then CVS or SVN is the way to go.
    Chris, Programmer/Developer,
    Laravel Php Developers, Ruby on Rails programmers,
    Moodle, Opencart, Magento, Geodesic Classifieds/Auctions,
    www.chrisranjana.com