SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Validating CSS with scrollbar properties

I'm trying to validate a page (CSS), it's OK only the scrollbar properties are causing problem. I understand that standard CSS doesn't support them since it's only an IE and Opera only property, but may be there's a way to validate the page by adding something like ATTLIST CDATA # IMPLIED in the doctype for exception.

Any idea anyone?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, if you're talking about the cutesy scrollbar color effects, Konqueror supports them too (IIRC), but if that's what I'm thinking of, you might as well go ahead and slap them inside a separate stylesheet and link it in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I didn't know about Konqueror. Seems FF and Netscape are the two that don't support them. Yes, I'm speaking about the scrollbar color effect, you are right.

Well, even if I have my scrollbar properties in a seperate stylesheet, the basic issue remains the same, when I will go for validation, it won't work.

Another thing, I found that my page was valid in normal report mode (except those scrollbar things), but when I went to mode 'all', I got some 30 warnings. Wondering how do you validate them, in normal report mode, or you validate them even for all.

Warnings in 'all' mode are like -

Code CSS:
    You have no background-color set (or background-color is set to transparent) but you have set a color. Make sure that cascading of colors keeps the text reasonably legible.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, with the scrollbar colors, that's one thing you can safely ignore on the validation front. As for the background colors, just set them and be done with it (it'll shut the validator up).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, thanks Dan