SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 66 of 85 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076 ... LastLast
Results 1,626 to 1,650 of 2104

Thread: • Drifting •

  1. #1626
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dragon has the charm of where all history and all myth of that area are rooted. It is also well done from a graphic point of view and fits into today as well as yesterday.

    The new one I have seen a thousand times in different variations, totally void of identity, designed into neutrality that could mean anything
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  2. #1627
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    Hey, why don't you dig up a link of Banana Airlines' version? surely you must remember them...

  3. #1628
    I hate Spammers mobyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Snowdonia
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I'm an American - and even I prefer the old one.
    I never doubted for a moment you wouldn't Dan. Your American not daft; the crazy thing is, it's people like you and your countrymen that we're trying to attract. I think Ulrike summed it up perfectly. A town should have a coat of arms that evokes it's place in myth and history, not a sign from outside a ice cream parlour.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

  4. #1629
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, I think today the web as a whole influences designers a lot. They spend hours and hours every day seeing the same designs over and over. That gives a strong influence, hence the sameness in design. Isolation is vanishing, a unifying sameness appears, and unusual or different is being viewed as odd or not being with the time.

    It is pretty much apparent already how all the wonderful differences will melt together, even the languages will. I know something different will grow from that, just the way the US was built on all these different cultures from all over the world, but we will have to pay a prize for that.

    I prefer diversity, but I am getting old too, so that might have something to do with my view on that. I am always careful to include that factor into my evaluation, because I remember too well how my parents and grandparents rebelled against change, I think it is really not the change that I disagree with, but the loss of things valuable.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  5. #1630
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then Chris, aside from the old-school marketing thug types, they're not doing a good job of attracting Americans.

  6. #1631
    I hate Spammers mobyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Snowdonia
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ulrike, I love change....if it's for the better. I can literally drool over groundbreaking architecture or design; ask my wife, she is always complaining about the way I turn holidays into a tour of design exhibitions. I just detest mediocrity and dumbing down to the lowest common denominator which to me this logo is all about. Dan hit the nail on the head, it's old school goes trendy and if anything represents Cardiff as a place to steer clear of.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

  7. #1632
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, that is such a good observation, the dumbing down. It is permeating pretty much all of pop culture and schools as well. Lets all be equal, equally dumb
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  8. #1633
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    Ulrike, I love change....if it's for the better. I can literally drool over groundbreaking architecture or design; ask my wife, she is always complaining about the way I turn holidays into a tour of design exhibitions. I just detest mediocrity and dumbing down to the lowest common denominator which to me this logo is all about. Dan hit the nail on the head, it's old school goes trendy and if anything represents Cardiff as a place to steer clear of.
    Well if they are hoping to attract young people into the night life to throw their money away then they did a good job. Looks like a logo for a 18-30 party holiday resort

  9. #1634
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    …or a dial up entertainment
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  10. #1635
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're right. ring ring.....ring ring...

  11. #1636
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man, I have a monster migraine today, was already blind for an hour this morning, now it is just all the rest of it. I am so sick of this, had it since I was 5 years old. I thought that it would go away as I get older, but no such luck
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  12. #1637
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In tha fruit cellar
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    Hey, why don't you dig up a link of Banana Airlines' version? surely you must remember them...
    I was looking briefly for it but was not able to find it, too bad cause Banana Airlines rocks

    been on their show 3 times, and people has always been drunk as pigs and there been a lot of fighting haha
    But what a show, what a show..
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar


  13. #1638
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    been on their show 3 times, and people has always been drunk as pigs and there been a lot of fighting haha
    But what a show, what a show..
    uh.. sounds like my hometown..
    How far north are you? I was born and raised in H-fest. It's over 15 years since I left though..

  14. #1639
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In tha fruit cellar
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    uh.. sounds like my hometown..
    How far north are you? I was born and raised in H-fest. It's over 15 years since I left though..
    haha yeah I bet it sounds like H-fest, been there many times. they have this amazing pub there named "Banjern", just freaking amazing hahaha

    I live on Senja, not that far north but not so far from Tromsψ. and 6o kilometers from a small hick town named "Finnsnes" ..if you know where that is...
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar


  15. #1640
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finnsness sounds like a nice finnish name, like finnished or fins in the water or finessing or finito
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  16. #1641
    Object Not Found junjun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    northern MI
    Posts
    1,392
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    haha yeah I bet it sounds like H-fest, been there many times. they have this amazing pub there named "Banjern", just freaking amazing hahaha
    hehe glad you like it.. it used to be the roughest bar in town many years ago I think I'll be going back to my hometown this summer. Class reunion and all that, and then head straight down to Finland for the rest of the summer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybanana View Post
    I live on Senja, not that far north but not so far from Tromsψ. and 6o kilometers from a small hick town named "Finnsnes" ..if you know where that is...
    Give me a break who didn't grow up learning the song about the troll on Senja?
    http://home.no.net/wskole/Felles/san...lletisenja.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Finnsness sounds like a nice finnish name, like finnished or fins in the water or finessing or finito
    The Finnish name for Finland is "Suomi".. it's just the rest of the world that calls them Finland, so no.. not a very Finnish sounding name for people in Scandinavia at least.

  17. #1642
    whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,780
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    Oh man, I have a monster migraine today, was already blind for an hour this morning, now it is just all the rest of it. I am so sick of this, had it since I was 5 years old. I thought that it would go away as I get older, but no such luck
    I'm sick too. Got the flu.. so I've been off work and productivity is below zero. Unless you count reading a book and sitting by a window drinking hot tea all day. Oh and the computer is always on so there's sitepoint browsing but my mind is too cloudy to take anything in. A post like this stretches my endurance.

    Hope your migraine clears soon Ulrike I have them from time to time too, not had one recently however. Get well
    Last edited by akritic; Feb 21, 2008 at 16:38. Reason: spelling errors

  18. #1643
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andy, you get better too. I do the same, just sitting around, reading, lying on bed, coming back and doing some silly posts and some not so silly. A wasted day really. But there will be tomorrow. Hold the whiskers up Andy
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  19. #1644
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In tha fruit cellar
    Posts
    1,379
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by junjun View Post
    hehe glad you like it.. it used to be the roughest bar in town many years ago I think I'll be going back to my hometown this summer. Class reunion and all that, and then head straight down to Finland for the rest of the summer.
    like it? I love it haha you don't find many places like that one hahaha
    last time I was at Banjern some old "drunk as pigs" woman in their middle 60's dressed as 12-14 years old girls and painted with truckloads of paint in their faces tried to check us up rofl and a one eyed "drunk as pig" man in his late 50's stripped for a friend and wanted him to be with him home for the night + there were fighting all over the place, and the list goes on hahaha Amazing place lololol rofl

    after easter I'll go up to Alta on vacation for a period and will have a look at H-fest too at the same time, to see how it's going there. been 5-6 yrs since last time I was there now.

    Quote Originally Posted by junjun
    Give me a break who didn't grow up learning the song about the troll on Senja?
    http://home.no.net/wskole/Felles/san...lletisenja.htm
    The troll on Senja by Jack Berntsen is a classic hehe, and now we got the biggest Troll in the world here, in Rubach's "Hulder and Trollpark"
    Last edited by Crazybanana; Feb 24, 2008 at 07:22. Reason: Banjern rockzZZ
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar


  20. #1645
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have a lot of trolls with wild hair and big noses Crazy. Are you a troll?
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  21. #1646
    Headed Home! KM Richards's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I'm right Here!
    Posts
    707
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    So, how about them tornadoes?
    You know, since mankind has decided we are going to all band together and do something to stop climate change...why don't we also look at passing some legislation to stop tornados and earthquakes???

    Since we seem to believe that we can control the earth, why not?

    We'll just pass a few laws making tornados and earthquakes illegal
    and that'll solve the problem, right?

  22. #1647
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    You know, since mankind has decided we are going to all band together and do something to stop climate change...why don't we also look at passing some legislation to stop tornados and earthquakes???

    Since we seem to believe that we can control the earth, why not?

    We'll just pass a few laws making tornados and earthquakes illegal
    and that'll solve the problem, right?
    Makes perfect sense to me, just follow the logical path of what is the current thinking…
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

  23. #1648
    I hate Spammers mobyme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Sunny Snowdonia
    Posts
    662
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KM Richards View Post
    You know, since mankind has decided we are going to all band together and do something to stop climate change...why don't we also look at passing some legislation to stop tornados and earthquakes???

    Since we seem to believe that we can control the earth, why not?

    We'll just pass a few laws making tornados and earthquakes illegal
    and that'll solve the problem, right?
    I'll go along with that. It's the obvious answer; why didn't I think of it?
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

  24. #1649
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone ever (safely) SEEN a tornado up close? I have. Not once, not twice, but three times. The last one was a monster.

  25. #1650
    I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Florida USA
    Posts
    5,774
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Has anyone ever (safely) SEEN a tornado up close? I have. Not once, not twice, but three times. The last one was a monster.
    Sure have. I was in one in New Orleans. It was horrifying and not safe at all. We were out in the racetrack where the Jazz Festival is held, had some stuff in a big tent and needed to get it out before the floods would take it. While we were in one of the tents -- mind you, they are huge, they hold about 2000 people each -- a twister came through. The tent beside us flew up with posts and all, we hunkered under the car in the mud as best we could. My husband was hit by a big post, quite a ding on his back.

    The second one was in Dallas, downtown.

    The third one in Ann Arbor.

    The fourth in Detroit.

    I have also seen several water spouts, which are small tornados.

    They are nothing to fool with.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •