Page 17 of 85 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: Drifting

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburlster
    But I do believe that there are only a very small percentage of people you get on with so well you could potentially spend the rest of your life with.
    That's sort of in keeping with what I said about "types of people", but I don't think this percentage is very small at all.

I think a lot of the time you make a judgement about someone else before you get to know them properly and assume they have no depth and assume you'd never have a future... until you get to asking questions and learning about them.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Enthusiast theburlster's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I both agree and disagree there. The percentage isn't small for people you could date, and for some people even marry, but I'm quite the romantic very keen on this idea of soulmate-type always passionate love! The type of person it takes to have as a best friend, confident, and lover is a rare person indeed because we're all so different.

I'm aware that I might be percieved to have ridiculously high standards (though I am actually with someone at the moment who meets those criteria), but 'settling' with someone I didn't have this with seems implausable now.
    The Burlster of www.burlster.com fame

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well guys, I found the one! I have been together with my soul mate now for almost 35 years. We are very much the same in all our views, we are best friends, lovers and all the rest of it. My husband is the love of my life, the person I would not want to be without.

I do realize how rare it is to have found him.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never said anything about "settling".

Congrats on your person, by the way. I hope you're ready for when your family and some friends start pressuring you to get more involved than you'd rather be.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I do believe there is a person that I would consider a "soul-mate" (not that I believe much in the idea of souls). But I don't think there's necessarily only one.

In other news, there's just been a fairly big earthquake back home and there's big cracks all over the walls and lots of broken stuff everywhere, including shattered windows. Still, Lima wasn't hit too badly, compared to Pisco, where 70% of the town has been levelled. The beach village I've been going to since I was 4 has been inundated by the sea's after-quake lashing, but they're used to that happening after an earthquake, so everyone got prepared before it happened. My little brother is pretty shaken, my parents tell me, it's his first earthquake.

Anyone ever been in an earthquake?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    I think I do believe there is a person that I would consider a "soul-mate" (not that I believe much in the idea of souls). But I don't think there's necessarily only one.

In other news, there's just been a fairly big earthquake back home and there's big cracks all over the walls and lots of broken stuff everywhere, including shattered windows. Still, Lima wasn't hit too badly, compared to Pisco, where 70% of the town has been levelled. The beach village I've been going to since I was 4 has been inundated by the sea's after-quake lashing, but they're used to that happening after an earthquake, so everyone got prepared before it happened. My little brother is pretty shaken, my parents tell me, it's his first earthquake.

Oh, how terrible Raffles. Such a heart brake.

This area will continue to get those quakes, as all of the Pacific coastline of the Americas will. It is a fact people tend to forget because from one quake to the next there is this stretch of time in between.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never! Sounds horrible

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I too had heard of the disaster, thankfully your familiy is ok I've not been in an earthquake, how many have you been in?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, what Datura says is true, people tend to forget, but on the other hand, as time progresses, people start to get nervous, as if they expect there to be an earthquake, like "it's time there was another one". I've never been in a proper earthquake, like this one, only tremors, where stuff can fall off shelves, but buildings don't really get damaged. They're pretty scary anyway, because it's something where you feel you have absolutely no control over what's going on and you just have to wait it out, hoping that it'll end soon. And the thing is, they only last for a few seconds, but it feels like bloody ages.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, what Datura says is true, people tend to forget, but on the other hand, as time progresses, people start to get nervous, as if they expect there to be an earthquake, like "it's time there was another one". I've never been in a proper earthquake, like this one, only tremors, where stuff can fall off shelves, but buildings don't really get damaged. They're pretty scary anyway, because it's something where you feel you have absolutely no control over what's going on and you just have to wait it out, hoping that it'll end soon. And the thing is, they only last for a few seconds, but it feels like bloody ages.
    The thing is, you have to have gone through one of those in order to really get that feel for it. I have seen many reports on such things, but it is not the same.

People always ask us why we live in the area where hurricanes might strike. The answer is: We get a warning, we can run away, it is better than earth quake country or even tornado alley.

Those earthquakes are really terrible, and there is nothing we can do. They even happen in areas that we not ever suspect of even having a chance of them. We always look at things in the time span of a human life, but the earth has a different schedule. The earth will keep shaking until it dies some day.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that positive note :S

Everyone alright today? I went sleepwalking earlier. I find that really disturbing because I have NO memory of it. Last night my housemate caught me taking mushrooms out the fridge and positioning them in the egg holder thing. I have NO recollection of that and hate mushrooms so it's all a little creepy.

J

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburlster View Post
    On that positive note :S

Everyone alright today? I went sleepwalking earlier. I find that really disturbing because I have NO memory of it. Last night my housemate caught me taking mushrooms out the fridge and positioning them in the egg holder thing. I have NO recollection of that and hate mushrooms so it's all a little creepy.

J
    Well, that was a natural reaction on your part there theburlster. You ask why? I say you had read too many stories about people growing mushrooms on their backs and having an egg case full of baby critters on their body. Just put one and the other together, you have your mushrooms and the egg cases that must be combined. A very proper behavior for a sleep walker that tries to interpret dreams
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's genious!!! I never made the connection :-d

Thanks Orange dude... sorry, I'm at the bottom of the page now using the Quick Reply thing, and my posts are ordered latest at the top so I can't see your name properly. I figured Orange dude was safer then taking a guess at spelling your username from the top of my head. I could always have called you Mr. D of course, but I just typed all that now and if I got rid of it you'd never have known I went on this rant.

Of course, in the time that took, I could have scrolled up, looked, and written the post TWICE OVER!

Datura, I looked it up anyway Orange dude

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ^

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theburlster View Post

Datura, I looked it up anyway Orange dude
    Hey dude, just for your info, I am a dudette
    Ulrike

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More like a lady.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The lady in Red.... or be that orange... either way..

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really......but I have been through a tsunami which was triggered by an earthquake in Sumatra on December 2004....It was actually cool to see the sea water retreat first, shaky to see it coming back, nerve wrecking to realize that you were in the middle of sea within a second, crestfallen to see dead bodies floating around you.

You OK right Raffles??
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's in the UK right now, so yeah, I'd say he's fine.

It's his family I'm worried about though. I've heard there's some looting going on down there.

Raphael, what's the SITREP down there?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm fine here in London. So are my family, they all live in Lima where the damage was minimal. Haven't heard anything about looting, but it doesn't surprise me. I'm a bit paranoid about the potential anarchy after a disaster like this (or more likely a bigger one) - hundreds of thousands of people fending for themselves in a "survival of the fittest" situation. Any looting I imagine is in Chincha, Pisco or Ica, where the most damage was. In Lima there was only minor damage and in situations like these people tend to practice mob law, so looting I wouldn't have thought looting would be a good idea. But in Pisco, where people are pretty hungry, there has been a fair bit of looting.

From what I've been told and been reading, the biggest problem is lack of shelter, because so many buildings were built shoddily and have collapsed. And it's winter over there and, while it doesn't rain on the coast, it's quite cold at night, at least by our standards (about 5 - 10 celsius). Also, because the Ica region is a desert and the water supply has been disrupted and the roads are damaged, a lot of people are without water.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a sad situation for those people. You are right Raffles, Anarchy is a real threat in this kind of situation.

Hopefully help will arrive soon to get people into shelters and to get them food and water.

Good to hear that your family is all right.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I just read that the president of Colombia has turned up. I'm a bit cynical of this sort of thing (what's he going to do there? Actually dig through rubble?) but on the other hand it's a nice gesture and gives people the reassurance that people care and that Peru has friends.

Not that this is important compared to the humanitarian crisis, but this disaster has done wonders for diplomatic relations with our neighbours. We recently went through a cold spell with Chile (we've always resented them for beating us badly in a war more than a century ago) but now Chile has sent quite a lot of help and people appreciate this. The same with Ecuador.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disasters, the big unifiers

It is true, when disaster strikes the political animals get out and get a great photo op. I question the motives always by these guys as well and if it really serves them to have a picture standing there in the upheaval, because opportunism comes to mind more than helpfulness.

But on the other hand, a disaster shows the fragility of life itself and people are reminded how at any moment life can by changed or snuffed out, and it is a natural reaction to want to help, even if there were uneasy relationships.

And then of course we will have the self indulging music people come out and use this disaster for their own glorification. It is a shame how all this is exploited.

But then I also think how we all are informed instantly about events such as this, how a worldwide effort to help gets on the way. Just a few decades back people were left to work through this all by themselves. Things are better in this regard now.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    made you look.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't agree more Datura, you hit the nails on their heads.

For politicians it's never just about doing the right thing for the people they are supposed to represent and look out for, there's always some other agenda.