User Tag List

Page 8 of 85 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: Drifting

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm a drifter. Roamer, wanderer... nomad, vagabond...

Call me what you will...

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahaha - I am a drifter in my mind, roaming and exploring.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ...wherever I may roam

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, lets drifting..i like this thread.. any topic will do...

Echoes of Our Hearts

Sometimes we close our eyes and just listen to the echoes of our hearts. We all fall in love and there are times when we love so much that we lose ourselves in our emotions. More often than not, we wonder why there are love that grows, and love that grows cold. We would start to search for answers and try to find where love has gone wrong. But in the end, we find ourselves where we started for we cannot question love when it has its own reasons. Love will always be as it always has been....silent, mysterious and deeply profound.

Many of us believe that love is forever, that love never dies, only to be disillusioned in the end when we find our hands empty and our hearts longing. We mistakenly have looked at love as a need to be fulfilled. But love is a gift given to us. We should not hold it in our hands for we may never find the strength to let it go when it decides to leave. We should only embrace its warmth and glow while it last and then freely open our arms when its time to say good-bye.

When we fall in love, we don't want that feeling to end for it is everything we are, everything we wanted to be. We pray that love will stay and grow in our hearts. But if it doesn't then we should never let our lives be taken by it, for life should not end where heartaches begin.

There is always a reason why we have to move on. When we have to say good-bye to the feeling we wanted to stay forever, let us not wave our hands with a heavy heart. For love will have to set its wings free and find the place where it belongs. We may have lost it but then again, when we close our eyes and listen to the echoes of our hearts, we will hear that feeling resounding silently forever.

Then we'll know that love never left us, for the good that we have become because of love will always stay. Love will always be there, reminding us that we should be thankful and happy not because we have lost love, but because, for once in our lives, that feeling called love lived in our hearts and made us happy.

Your Point of View????

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love is the ingredient in life that makes life what it is. Love changes the direction of our lives. Love is a motivator. Love is essential to life. Love shapes us.
    Ulrike

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love doesn't need a five paragraph definition.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it'll hit you when you least expect (or think you want/need) it.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my parents
    I love my sister
    I love my country
    I love my friends

But I love myself more than any of them.

OK now drift...POEMS anyone....
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by electroskan.com View Post
    I love my parents
    I love my sister
    I love my country
    I love my friends

But I love myself more than any of them.
    Very well put.
    Ulrike

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If everyone thought like that there would be no wars.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah there would. We'd all just be shooting rainbows instead of guns with bullets, and launching huggng sprees instead of missiles.

(Sorry, I'm a table-top warfare gamer in my spare time. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go back to killing cat-girls with logic and reason as my weapons of choice.)

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few good men is all we need to stop wars. Men/women with Charisma who can influence a vast variety of people. For instance let us take Gandhiji, it was just because of this one man and the few good men around him that India's freedom struggle succeeded with minimal of blood shed.
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    If everyone thought like that there would be no wars.
    Yes, that is very true
    Ulrike

I am obstructing justice. bronze trophy fatnewt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There probably wouldn't be many good action films, either. I'm just saying.
    Colin Temple [twitter: @cailean]
    Web Analyst at Napkyn

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Love has to be reciprocal to be love, otherwise it's obsession.

That applies for people at least, I mean I can love trees, but I don't expect them to love me back, maybe they do but I need to be taking halucinegens to believe that.

The question is, is enjoying something such as trees, the sound of rain, the sunset etc actually love? Do we confuse the meaning by applying it so liberally?

And extending it, how about pets? Can pets truly ever 'love' their owners in the way humans say they love them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, all love is based on what you value. A person that has a few of the values you cherish you like. A person that has many of the values you have, you love. The more you overlap in your fundamental views with a person, the deeper the love can be. And of course there are different kinds of love. I wish we had more specific terms for it actually.

The love between two partners in life is very different from the love you have for your mother or your cat.

And the love for a certain tree is again the love of particular aspects of that tree.

All is love, because the love you feel for those people, plants, things is only a reflection and confirmation of what you deem as important.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think it all comes down to the peculiarities of semantics.

For example, you say I can love a tree for its particular aspects, however I do not share any common values with the tree on an objective level. Hence I can only really use the term love in relation to trees at a conversational level. Its meaning isn't defined by the relationship.. It's a perspective, and an introspective one at that.

Perhaps language, English in particular needs to have a sub set of words for the difference between objectivity and subjectivity.

Off Topic:

Now we're drifting ... let's drift like driftwood..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can love a tree because it fulfills my need to enjoy beauty, or oddity. It also fulfills my physical needs of providing me with clean air. It has many aspects that I appreciate, so I love a tree.

And no, you don't share a value with a tree, a tree is not a person. Sharing values really only applies to a person, it does not apply to a pet, a plant, etc. We should really have more words. But I would say it is loving a tree.

And of course it breaks down because of the limitation of the language.

That gives me an idea. Maybe we could coin some words for the different loves:

Love of a tree could be trove.
    Love of animals could be anove.
    Love of nature could be natove.

Just letting it go here, but it does point out the fact that we are lacking in the language. Or does it? Since love is in the deeper sense what we cherish, the term applies to all of the things that reflect our personal values.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It would be a good idea, but then, if anyone could coin words like the bard where would we end up?

I think language will evolve to inculde these particulars of expression. It will just take time, and probably a little bit of science too.

I once tried my hand at writing a sci fi novel, and one of my ideas was that advanced 'alien/human' races would have different modes of speaking, one would be entirely functional, say for descriptive and scienfific purposes, and perhaps a few others such as personal/emotional expression, and others as necessary.

Poses an interesting and age-long question about the function of language.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post

It would be a good idea, but then, if anyone could coin words like the bard where would we end up?

I think language will evolve to inculde these particulars of expression. It will just take time, and probably a little bit of science too.
    It does. Language really is just having names for concepts, a standardized term, so we all know what we are talking about. Then you have to have the qualifiers for the term, so there will be no confusion.

Love as such is a concept in need of qualifiers that are not long sentences. We of course already do separate forms of love by using explanations to tell the different loves apart, but shorter and more specific words to replace this one umbrella word would be nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    I once tried my hand at writing a sci fi novel, and one of my ideas was that advanced 'alien/human' races would have different modes of speaking, one would be entirely functional, say for descriptive and scienfific purposes, and perhaps a few others such as personal/emotional expression, and others as necessary.
    But do we not already have these kinds of devisions within a languages? Tech speak, Lawyer speak, any very specialized field has its own language.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We do have these idioms sure.

My vision (in this particular case) was for a specific form of language to be used in a mode that best defined its place. The idea was for everyone native to its concept to be able to switch into that mode, whether or not specific words were needed. ...hence why the idea I had never really went far ...too much planning required.. imagine lord of the rings for example.
    Last edited by akritic; Jun 22, 2007 at 12:52. Reason: typos

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, an undertaking. I had written a book also, the humans were transplanted to a purple planet from earth, and as humans are wont to do, they invented themselves a new religion and god etc.

This planet had this purple color, and the leaders changed the language to have all important words start with a P. You can imagine how that ended up. The writing of this was incredible fun. I invented all sorts of words with P as the first letter, but it became cumbersome. The second half of the book did have normal language because of the overthrow of the leadership.

I am still poking around in it now and then, just for my own enjoyment.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You see, I am very alike in my artistic tendencies. I cannot just try one thing. It has to be everything. I prefer now in order to satsify my writing need to just go with (very) short stories or 'snippets'. I feel much better at presenting just a glimpse of an idea without the requirement to proceede unless I desire to. I have some of these online even

Still, I have composed a number of pieces of music, and written poetry. The latter I completely suck at on such an immense scale it is unfathomable.
    I do still write lyrics occasionally for the band I play with, as a side project, entertaining myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the quirky artistic types

I write those little snippets of life as well. They are fun, they do not require commitment. Although I enjoy the character development, to pit the good against the bad, the hero type, the quiet person always there and understanding and supporting and bracing the hero. It is just so much fun.

Like I have said a thousand times: Life is just too short
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I do not follow the same principle when writing, but I know there is that aspect in all good literature. It's the why I do not take my writing seriously. It's too confused mostly.

Life may be too short.. It is a crying shame.

Another idea I had about so called 'advanced' humans was that the young would be educated in stages, according to the lessons learned. Such as the farmer, the wood worker, the metal worker, the warrior, the scholar, the scientist, the artist, the philosopher etc.. Just imagine a world where we all had to go thorugh each of these stages as education. This was the basis of an idea. Thought it's terribly un-formed in retrospect.