SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You also can use Parallels Workstation and then link all three operating systems to a virtual private network.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the latest 20" iMac at work and a PC at home. I really like the iMac for its looks, the space it saves and the OS is very nice indeed. However, I use Dreamweaver and Fireworks every day on the iMac and it is painfully slow. The PC is far far far quicker at running the software than the iMac, which is a huge gripe for me at the mo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    well since were getting metaphorical

if this 5$ (Windows/Linux) branded bottle of wine:
    • tastes nicer
    • easier to drink
    • contains more wine
    • gets you drunker

than the 15$ bottle of "Mac" branded wine that does none of the above

what would you buy?
    This is so far off that it's laughable. You do understand that the OSX operating system is built on unix and you can run in a pure unix enviroment if you choose and do any and everything you would in linux running any shell you want? No probably not because most people don't truly understand how powerful macs really are. You get the most functional gui os in the world, (os x), running on top of the most stable os in the world, (unix), with the ability to easily run the most popular os in the world, (windows), all on one machine all at the same time even, (using parallels). As a developer and tester you can't beat the ability to test cross platform so easily.

Also from reading this thread I can see that 95% of people who don't own/don't like macs say what they say simply because they are ignorant of what a modern mac really is. Maybe they tried an old mac in school or had a brief experience with a friends mac but it's obvious that most assumptions in this thread are based on a lack of knowledge rather than true knowledge of all enviroments and an understanding of the benefits of each.

Anyway, it is definitely a personal preference, but claiming ignorance or lazyness, (I don't have time to learn something new), is not a good reason to me no matter what the endevour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried to like them and have spent a lot of time in the apple stores trying to get used to them... I just hate the OSX interface and their Mice (yes, I know I can change mice).

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdpucci View Post
    This is so far off that it's laughable. You do understand that the OSX operating system is built on unix and you can run in a pure unix enviroment if you choose and do any and everything you would in linux running any shell you want? No probably not because most people don't truly understand how powerful macs really are. You get the most functional gui os in the world, (os x), running on top of the most stable os in the world, (unix), with the ability to easily run the most popular os in the world, (windows), all on one machine all at the same time even, (using parallels). As a developer and tester you can't beat the ability to test cross platform so easily.

Also from reading this thread I can see that 95% of people who don't own/don't like macs say what they say simply because they are ignorant of what a modern mac really is. Maybe they tried an old mac in school or had a brief experience with a friends mac but it's obvious that most assumptions in this thread are based on a lack of knowledge rather than true knowledge of all enviroments and an understanding of the benefits of each.

Anyway, it is definitely a personal preference, but claiming ignorance or lazyness, (I don't have time to learn something new), is not a good reason to me no matter what the endevour.
    eh read my earlier thread i said i own several windows pcs and a dozen linux servers and run mac in vmware (exactly what you wrote above, except with mac as guest OS so exactly the same features)

i know well how to use unix/linux, i know well that mac has a shell and is based on BSD
    but "whoopty do" if you need them features why dont u just download your favourite linux/bsd distro FREE??

both with a three year warranty and the Macbook was actually cheaper.
    can u post spec/links for all to see? so we know were not comparing apples to oranges

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtrail View Post
    I have the latest 20" iMac at work and a PC at home. I really like the iMac for its looks, the space it saves and the OS is very nice indeed. However, I use Dreamweaver and Fireworks every day on the iMac and it is painfully slow. The PC is far far far quicker at running the software than the iMac, which is a huge gripe for me at the mo.
    What versions of DW/Fireworks are you using? If it's not CS3 then you're running the PowerPC versions which are really slow on Intel. If you're running an older version then yeah it's not great, but upgrading will be an improvement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Can't you get Adobe CS2 ported over to Mac for a small fee?
    I looked into this a ways back. While there is nothing official posted, there are enough anecdotes of people cross-platform-updating that I believe you can do it.

Basically, you call Adobe, buy the update just like you would if you were updating, and they'll send you a special Mac or Windows full copy after you promise promise promise not to use your old one.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some million years ago I thought macs are the coolest "PCs" then I realized it's

- a one-buttoned mouse
    - different OS
    - can't play most games
    - pricey
    - not a PC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been using PCs for a long time now. The reasons I would have given 2 years ago don't necessarily apply anymore so once I can afford one, I plan on buying a Mac. Not necessarily to replace my PC, I just really want to give it a fair shot as I've never used one as my main computer.

Up until recently these were my reasons for using a PC over a Mac:

1. I learned everything on a PC. It was my parents' so it didn't cost me anything to get started.

2. Since starting on a PC I have purchased a ton of software and games. (Until recently) I would have had to buy them again if I switched.

3. I enjoy building my own computers and doing my own upgrades. This seemed like it was't really an option with a Mac, aside from maybe upgrading the RAM and hard drives and stuff.

4. I play a lot of PC games that aren't available for Mac.

5. Up until a few years ago the fastest Macs available always felt slower to me than the fastest PC I could build (not to mention they were more expensive).

Things have come a long way though, and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro Desktop sometime soon.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    What versions of DW/Fireworks are you using? If it's not CS3 then you're running the PowerPC versions which are really slow on Intel. If you're running an older version then yeah it's not great, but upgrading will be an improvement.
    Hi, I'm using CS3. It is definitely an improvement over version 8, but still somewhat slower than my PC. I have to wait (although only briefly) for simple things such as the properties panel in Fireworks to change when selecting an image instead of the canvas, whereas the PC is instantaneous. Opening and closing documents is also much quicker on the PC. For me, this is a big thing as I'm using DW all day

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kabatak View Post
    some million years ago I thought macs are the coolest "PCs" then I realized it's

- a one-buttoned mouse
    Not sold anymore (the mighty mouse is multi-buttoned even if it's kinda weird), and you can hook up any USB mouse you want and it'll work. I use a Microsoft mouse with my Macbook quite often.
    Quote Originally Posted by kabatak
    - different OS
    I'll give you that, if it's an issue. But you can install Windows or Linux on Macs now so the only real issue is keyboard shortcuts after that.
    - can't play most games
    Not true anymore, Macs are using regular PC parts and you can install Windows and play all the games you want. Unless you're talking about Wii or XBox games, but PCs can't do that either.
    - pricey
    - not a PC
    Price has been done in this thread, read up on it. It's not that much of a premium to get a Mac anymore, if any at all.

And Macs are most definitely PCs now. What else would you call a Core 2 Duo based computer?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well yeah, that was actually "some million years ago" I know things changed now which is good, but those were the reasons why I didn't have a mac back then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pcs are cheaper and have more software and support for them

price is the main thing for me

I'm a little scared by how the mac mouse works

I want to get a mac sometime but they're just more expensive and I don't really do video editing
    Now up and running!
    Enzyme Online | Professional and Affordable Web Design

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Not true anymore, Macs are using regular PC parts and you can install Windows and play all the games you want.

so whats the point of using a mac if you have to install windows to use most software?

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzyme Online View Post
    pcs are cheaper and have more software and support for them

price is the main thing for me

I'm a little scared by how the mac mouse works

I want to get a mac sometime but they're just more expensive and I don't really do video editing
    You must not have read the thread, yes you can get a crappy dell laptop at a cheaper price, but when you actually compare a mac to the equivalent thinkpad the mac is actually cheaper. I've not tried to compare it to a dell because I will never buy a dell, and would rather not waste my time. In any case, I'm sure a dell with similar specs is comparable.

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so whats the point of using a mac if you have to install windows to use most software?
    The hardware is nice, and you don't have to install windows to use most software, you have to have windows to use many games, that's really it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewaclt View Post
    You must not have read the thread, yes you can get a crappy dell laptop at a cheaper price, but when you actually compare a mac to the equivalent thinkpad the mac is actually cheaper.
    Is it still cheaper after you buy a retail copy of Windows and virtualization software? "Run Windows" seems to be the suggestion for playing games on a Mac...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't, I've found equal or better Mac software for just about everything I do, but then again I have an XBox for gaming and I personally think PC gaming is a big money sink. I'm just tired of the "Macs can't play games" argument when it's not true anymore and hasn't been for at least the last 18 months since the switch to Intel.

Windows is just another option to have on Macs if you really need it or have that one app that doesn't have a Mac equivalent. But usually in that case you're building a computer around the app you want to use (i.e. CAD programs, AVID for video editing), not trying to find applications that fit your operating system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price has been done in this thread, read up on it. It's not that much of a premium to get a Mac anymore, if any at all.
    for a 15" screen (I personally could not work on a 12 or 13") notebook the starting price is A$ 2899

in what reality that not paying a premium?

in desktops the mini @ A$ 949.00 is cheaperrr ish ... but its also very low spec its only a combo drive for gawd's sake .. and thats only the box, add $200 for a 17" LCD and $50 for a basic kb/mouse.

not cheap anymore.

The best bit of a mac would be the OS which I am not allowed to virtualize.
    And since we keep on getting told how *NIX it is .. then why not grab *NIX instead ? its easy to make linux look like a mac on the desktop.

that only leaves the 'look' , I could care less

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hardware is nice.
    ur telling me i cant pick a core2 duo of the shelf? for cheaper? or <insert million different components that work with no hassle on windows/linux here>

you have to have windows to use many games, that's really it.
    gaming is a very big problem for linux as well (but then again linux is not targeted at consumers same ways macs are)

Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been using Windows based systems for 9 years. Early this decade, I tested the Mac OS system at Uni. Those were old Macs. I cannot remember which version of Mac OS they were running but suffice to say, they were a horror for me.

A few years later (2006) came the time where a new computer had to be bought and replace the old Windows PC. After a lot of research, I came to the conclusion that a Mac suited my needs a lot more than a Windows based machine. My only fear were the perils of habitus and - not having worked with Macs before - I was reluctant but eventually jumped into the cold water and bought a G5 desktop that would replace my Windows machine. And it worked wonderfully. Everything seems easier. Every task seems more intuitive. My workflow was a lot faster. No more stupid errors, not a single crash, just a machine that worked. So, after nine years of Windows only, I turned my back and never looked back or had regrets concerning the decision. Not once.

I am not a gamer, so the deficits that might occur for a gamer were irrelevant for me. I use my computer for design and development.
    Now, I've purchased another Mac Pro desktop and will purchase Macbook Pro along with it. Yes, it is pricey and one easily looks at $5 k and more for a fully fledged Mac Pro but I do not mind paying for what I find to be the best solution for my work.

Personal preferences aside, why do people label others who simply prefer a Mac as "fanboys"? It amuses me and makes me shake my head at the same time. And even if I were a fangirl, I really do not see what's wrong with loving the technology of choice.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use my computer for work not play so gaming means nothing to me when it comes to my computers. I have a Wii, 360 and PS3 for when I want to play a game.

As for the price issue, that is always going to come up and those who can afford it and appreciate what apple provides are always more than happy to pay the premium. I have never met a mac owner who says that they wish they bought a cheaper pc. Not even once. If you can't afford it, I understand but that's not Apple's fault. I really want a 50" plasma tv but I can't afford it right now. Does that mean Sony makes bad tv's just because I can't buy one? Of course not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the starting price is A$ 2899
    actually @ 2.2Ghz core2 Duo its hard currently to find anything else to compare with except high end Sony/Asus/Ferrari etc so I guess have to admit that they have the price/specs at that range.

Put your best practices away. The New Guy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apple always gets you on the upgrades. $120 for an each 40 gigs of hard drive space. I think NOT!
    "A nerd who gets contacts
    and a trendy hair cut is still a nerd"

- Stephen Colbert on Apple Users

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdpucci View Post
    who can afford it and appreciate what apple provides
    what exactly DOES it provide? thats not already provided by other platforms