SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, but I'd have to use their hardware. Which is something I don't want. One notebook, one PC, one server. That's all I need.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My customers use PCs or bigger-iron *nix (Solaris). I cannot invest the time maintaining too many distinct skillsets. I already do Java, .NET, Oracle and SQL server (staying away from *nix internals); GUI and web. The ones without any business opportunity have to go; I am too busy keeping up as it is.

It would be bad business, simple as that.

is craving 'the potato' slayerment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm much quicker and more productive on Windows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll only buy a Mac when I know for sure that Windows can run on it smoothly and without limitations, for obvious reasons.
    I do really plan on buying one, just need to research some more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own a Macbook Pro & a PC . I haven't shifted completely to mac , mainly because
    - I am used to the PC, 7+ years on it and just 7 months on mac.
    - As I have macbook, like any other laptop you can't do the heavy duty or too much of work. Well .. not that you can't , just the heat starts to bother me. May be a Mac Pro someday . Can't afford it right now.

GFXedit DesignsFree/Custom CSS Designs & Wordpress themes
    Web 2.0 & Me | Personal Blog | IndianWebDevs | AutoPundit |

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i use xp on my laptop and vista on my media pc. why? simple its easy to use there are no quirks and there is software available for EVERYTHING. also the multimedia capablities are excellent on the media pc and i can use a remote with minimal hassle to play/records things. the laptop came with xp and i have no intention of upgrading, its light @ 1KG and was bought so i can work while on the move or commuting

for my dozen servers i run Suse10. why? it does the job, secure and reliable, ive no need for interface as i use CLI. i dont care about 3rd party apps i write my own or use existing opensource solutions

on my development desktop (vista) i use vmware that has xp with ie6 virtual machine for testing, mac osx virtual machine for testing and several suse testing and development virtual machines

whats my opinion on mac? its a locked down BSD with a nice skin and die hard fanatics who believe an operating system is a religion and im gonna get crusified for posting this last sentence, would i buy mac hardware (i already bought osx)? no its seriously overpriced and i was assembling/overclocking desktops and servers for years, the mac laptops are more expensive and less powerfull than my current laptop and dont run half the software i use daily
    Last edited by mihd; Jun 11, 2007 at 05:51.

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I own an iMAC.... it makes a great looking doorstop.
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

SitePoint Enthusiast Daniel Primed's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm definetly interested in picking up a Mac notebook once my current notebook passes its used by date. Although I'm not sure about the switch due to:

-the price
    -different computer customs
    -have to rebuy my Adobe CS2 suite for Mac
    -games..although its not too bad as I can use my brothers notebook

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because I already know how to use windows and I see no advantage from switching. So for me the question would be "why use a Mac?" and if the reasons where compelling enough only then I would consider it. Until now I have not seen any compelling reason apart from nice looks and clever marketing.

With that I don't mean that Macs do not have any advantages. Just that non of their advantages is a good enough reason (for me) to switch, especially when I also consider the disadvantages (which are mostly due to the fact that less than 5% of people use Macs)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just want one for the browsers.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I just want one for the browsers.
    virtualisation is the answer my friend for a fraction of the very large Mac cost!

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    If you need a car to get to the shops then would you buy a Ford or a Porche? For most people the extra expense of a fancy non-standard computer just means that they would limit themselves in what they can do with it.

I would buy a porshe

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ezguy View Post
    I would buy a porshe
    saying that macs are like porshe's is more Mac fanboys propaganda!

you can buy/built more powerfull computers for the same price that can run any flavour of linux and/or windows with more functionality and yes better looks

i always found it hilarious how the black macbooks are more expensive than white even tho being identical and your only paying extra for a color, how sad

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Primed View Post
    I'm definetly interested in picking up a Mac notebook once my current notebook passes its used by date. Although I'm not sure about the switch due to:

-have to rebuy my Adobe CS2 suite for Mac
    Can't you get Adobe CS2 ported over to Mac for a small fee?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because people who use/buy Mac's are the same kind of people that buy wine because it comes in a well designed bottle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I looked into the Mac a few months ago but basically it came down to the cost not being justified. If I could see a good ROI in a MacBook, I could easily bring myself to part with the cash, but, the ROI just wasn't there for me. I could get a similar laptop out of Dell for a couple of hundred bucks cheaper and I would have to go buy Office for Mac and a new license of XP so that I could have productivity software and run my Windows software. So, it would cost me like $600-$800 more to buy a Mac than it would to go with an equivalent Dell.

I've never used OS X much, and, it's possible that it's worth the extra money, but, frankly, I just don't really see it. I'm sure it's nicer than Windows (and certain things like its shell support, as a former desktop Linux user, are very attractive), but it's a huge cost for some "kinda nice" features. If I was going to do movie editing or heavy graphic design and Mac software was going to be my livelihood, then sure. But I'm a web developer and NuSphere won't run on a Mac. Beyond that, though, all I get is the free iLife suite which is great for people who need low-end software to make websites, build online photo albums or blogs, edit music, or edit/burn DVDs. For some people, that software is quite appealing, but it's useless to me. For the web, I'll pick up one of the hundreds of OpenSource galleries, CMSs, or blog packages if I want a website in 5 minutes and I don't edit movies/audio much, but, when I do, I've got Pinnacle, Audacity, and Roxio to handle all of my editing and burning needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihd View Post
    virtualisation is the answer my friend for a fraction of the very large Mac cost!
    Alas, but you fall afoul of Apple's EULA when you do that though. Which is the only thing preventing me from doing it. (I hate that one part of the license.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    - Because I've been using DOS and Windows for so many years, I have a natural feel for what's going on behind the GUI, something I wouldn't get with any other OS without years of relearning
    Not to mention the unlearning of old habits.

Seriously though, if one has to learn a new operating system I think they better learn Linux. It is much more stable and secure than Windows as we all know. The learning curve may be fairly steep but the rewards, especially for web developers and people in the hosting trade, are many folds. You may not be able take your Windows software with you but there are many alternatives.
    ------------------

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Alas, but you fall afoul of Apple's EULA when you do that though. Which is the only thing preventing me from doing it. (I hate that one part of the license.)
    thats what you get for a completely closed platform where apple want to control everything + charge you thru the nose, in comparison even windows gives you more freedom and is less restrictive and on other hand linux/bsd is free as beer (tho the GPL license sort of sucks )

the only good use for macs are hardcore professional image editing / graphics processing but thats quite a small percentage of users. i still remember the days my Graphics and Image Processing module lecturer who is one big mac fanbhooy said "heres a real computer guys" pointing at his shiny mac then proceeded to spend the next 20 minutes trying to get the damned thing to work with the projector while we were all laughing our heads off feelin sorry for the guy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean C View Post
    Because people who use/buy Mac's are the same kind of people that buy wine because it comes in a well designed bottle.
    sweeping generalizations are always accurate

let me guess the pc user would go for the boxed wine cause hey it's only five bucks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    sweeping generalizations are always accurate

let me guess the pc user would go for the boxed wine cause hey it's only five bucks
    well since were getting metaphorical

if this 5$ (Windows/Linux) branded bottle of wine:
    • tastes nicer
    • easier to drink
    • contains more wine
    • gets you drunker

than the 15$ bottle of "Mac" branded wine that does none of the above

what would you buy?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a PC over a Mac simply for the fact that I grew up using PCs and have become extremely well versed in the OS, shortcut key commands, and other minor details that prevent me from becoming well-acquainted with OSX applications and its award winning UI.

I own a Mac Mini for the simple fact that I know I need to learn how OSX apps work and I need to become familiar with the small differences between OSX and its Unix heritage (underneath the hood, in the shell, that is), but I don't plan on making it my primary OS anytime soon; I just can't get used to the (extremely) small differences in shortcut keys (I even tried remapping the keys without success of it helping me).
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can we please keep it civil, folks? We've already had two threads locked this morning because of flame wars, personal attacks and other unnecessary behavior.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because I cant live without portage & emerge

SitePoint Evangelist Andrewaclt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to point something out:

I've been shopping around for some time for a new notebook for college (I'm currently using a four year old dell that has a bad battery...). I did a price comparison between a macbook and an IBM employee purchase program T60, both with a three year warranty and the Macbook was actually cheaper.

I've never owned a Mac, I'm a desktop Linux guy(gentoo+gnome/fluxbox), but come August I will have made the switch.

Keep in mind, apple hardware can run Windows/Linux/OS X with bootcamp and their are rumors, hopefully confirmed today at the WWDC, that with bootcamp you'll be able to run vista applications natively.