Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuz my pc is a Mack
    i hate apple
    i and like nothing about any mac os!
    tho id be willing to try a new mac with windows xp!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really have a reason.
    I guess the main reason is because I simply don't know much about Mac.
    Software could also be a problem, isn't it?

Bought a new 5600+ (2.8) AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual core about a week ago.
    I'm content with my PC and with both Windows and Linux running on it.

Might look into Mac sometime in the near future.
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

SitePoint Member hummelConcepts's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been in school for a while now and have invested in software (Photoshop and Macromedia products) for a PC. If I switch to a MAC I would need to buy software, it's just too costly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DelvarWorld View Post
    Games and all the software that is extremely important to me that will most likely never be ported to MAC.
    lmao

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hummelConcepts View Post
    I've been in school for a while now and have invested in software (Photoshop and Macromedia products) for a PC. If I switch to a MAC I would need to buy software, it's just too costly.
    There's a software program called Parallels that allows you to run Windoze programs on a Mac. I've also heard rumors that Apple's next Mac operating system, Leopard, might allow users to run Windows programs. However, that could be nothing more than pure speculation.

I was going to buy Parallels after I switched to a Mac, but I decided to just ditch Windows altogether. My top software programs are Dreamweaver and Photoshop, and I need to upgrade to Adobe's new Creative Suite whether I go with Windows or Mac. Aside from that, I don't have to buy too many new software programs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hummelConcepts View Post
    I'm not sure about the academic versions, but the regular Adobe products can be switched. You need to call customer service and tell them you want to do a "cross-grade." If the service representative doesn't know what that is, tell them you want to speak with someone who has done that before or a supervisor.

I have CS2 and Flex Builder and will be doing this in a few weeks when I switch from a Dell Inspiron 9100 to a new Macbook Pro.

Here is an Abobe blog post on switching platforms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you guys talking about software,

If you own a Power PC mac, (older ones like g4, g5): You can run nearly ALL windows applications through virtualization using Parallels.

If you own an Intel mac, (newer mac with intel chip): You can run ALL windows applications either natively, (exactly as you would on a pc), or through virtualization again using Parrallels.

The software argument doesn't hold up because with a Mac you get the benefits of both major os's on the same box whereas that is impossible with a pc.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm a Windows user, although I have made attempts to make linux (mandrake 9.1, freeBSD 3.4, red hat 9, ubuntu 6.04) and OS X my primary O/S. I just never really care much for the environments.

Here's some of the reasons why I stick to windows:

-games
    -configurability (With Macs, I've noticed it's pretty much WYSIWYG)
    -(many) software alternatives
    -wide varety of tasks (programming, graphics, web design, video editing, sound editing)
    -intimate familiararity with the windows platform

Here's reasons why I'd like to switch to something else:
    -stability
    -security

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    lmao
    por que se rie?

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theoretically that's true, but I would add two things:

1) I have seen a few consultants that do similar work to me have problems running a few apps on their Macs when running native windows - the drivers were funky and they couldn't get Cisco VPN going, the IBM Rational ClearCase, and some Oracle Client tools. Almost everything worked, but those were deal breakers and they wound up having to ditch the Macs.

2) A dual-boot or Virtual machine is a way to make it work in many cases, but who wants to have two OS's, two desktops, etc. I run a Vista laptop and I have 2 separate development environments running in VPC's, each intended to simulate a client environment and I'm already getting sick of having more than one environment. If I have a machine that would run OSX or Windows, I'd have to run Windows a lot and I think I'd wind up just running Windows all the time.

I have considered buying a Mac just because I like the hardware (I really dont like OSX much) and just running Windows on it, but I'm not sure it's quite 100% compatible. I run some pretty funky software so I think people that do the kind of work I do can't really get away with a Mac, yet.
    The fewer our wants, the nearer we resemble the gods. — Socrates

SAGEWING LLC - QUALITY WEB AND MOBILE APPS. PREMIUM OUTSOURCING SERVICES.
    Twitter | LinkedIn | Facebook | Google+

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DelvarWorld View Post
    por que se rie?
    1. Mac's not an acronym. Unless you're talking about a MAC (Media Access Control) address.
    2. Macs can run Windows at full speed now through Boot Camp, or in a virtualized environment, so you can still use your software.
    3. Games are that important to you?

padawan silver trophybronze trophy markbrown4's Avatar
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Why do you not use Macs?

The spinny wheel of death..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do you not use Macs?
    Because I can't afford a macbook pro. When I can, i'm getting one
    “There's a way to do it better - find it.”
    — Thomas Edison

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Macs since second grade. My only opposition to the Mac operating system is the lack of games and some incompatibility with hardware (I had a few printers I could not get to work with OSX). Otherwise, I pretty much like it all around.

Lower prices would be nice so I could upgrade to a MPB from my iBook G4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Mac's not an acronym. Unless you're talking about a MAC (Media Access Control) address.
    2. Macs can run Windows at full speed now through Boot Camp, or in a virtualized environment, so you can still use your software.
    3. Games are that important to you?
    1. neat
    2. I'd really just rather have Windows installed. OS X doesn't offer me anything.
    3. Sure they are. And a lot of other software.

There's many other reasons too. It's personal preference. I don't have anything against MACS, I just like my PCs better.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Because I like upgrading my desktop PC components one at a time, never replacing the whole system, and not having to buy Apple hardware gives me tons more choice

- Because there's no Mac-only software I'm excited enough over to be worth the hassle of learning a new OS

- Because I've been using DOS and Windows for so many years, I have a natural feel for what's going on behind the GUI, something I wouldn't get with any other OS without years of relearning

- Because I kinda like seamlessly streaming between Windows Media Center, Xbox 360 and Zune, and I'd lose that synergy

- Because I know Mac users through World of Warcraft, and nothing just works as simply for them in the gaming world... they couldn't join our Ventrilo voice chat for a year

If OS X ran on everyone's hardware, and especially if it could be run through virtualization software on Windows, I'd be a lot more likely to try it out. The cost would go from a whole new system to just a copy of the OS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdpucci View Post
    All you guys talking about software,

If you own a Power PC mac, (older ones like g4, g5): You can run nearly ALL windows applications through virtualization using Parallels.

If you own an Intel mac, (newer mac with intel chip): You can run ALL windows applications either natively, (exactly as you would on a pc), or through virtualization again using Parrallels.

The software argument doesn't hold up because with a Mac you get the benefits of both major os's on the same box whereas that is impossible with a pc.

Now why the heck would I want to run all those applications through virtualization parallel when I can just buy a PC thats just as good for alot cheaper price and run them by default.

As for all Mac users crying for windows bugs, Viruses, etc. I've been running windows for near a decade, never really had any problems. There's really no advantage to getting a Mac for me.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly all my colleagues who are Graphic Designer majors use Mac laptops for their work as they get school discounts on Macs. Pity those Electronic Media majors like me, who (very ironically) get no assistance on buying computer hardware. So I'm stuck with my self-built PC right now.

Regular Macbooks have a 13" screen and I get antsy with anything smaller than 15". Macbook Pros are too expensive for me at the moment.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Windows because 99% of my customers do. I have a Mac Mini I use for testing on Mac platform but that's all.

On a side note, I think it's kind of silly that if I want to add memory to the Mac Mini I have to use a putty knife to open the case.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I stick to Windows/Linux due to unfamiliarity with the Mac platform. The additional time required to learn OSX (which I found pretty hard to use) would be time wasted as I don't need OSX.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The license. I don't want to have to buy their crappy overheated underperforming hardware to legally use the operating system to test on Safari, iCab and other Mac-based browsers. Just remove the license restriction stating you have to use THEIR hardware, then offer the OS for $150 retail. Problem solved, and it would also have the effects of selling like hot-cakes, killing the fanboy/glee-club/bandwagon attitude that Mac users/anti-M$ types have, and would also elevate Apple from its "also-ran" status in the computer industry.

</rant mode off>

Seriously, I WANT to use a Mac. But I also want to be able to legally build my own too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    The license. I don't want to have to buy their crappy overheated underperforming hardware to legally use the operating system to test on Safari, iCab and other Mac-based browsers. Just remove the license restriction stating you have to use THEIR hardware, then offer the OS for $150 retail. Problem solved, and it would also have the effects of selling like hot-cakes, killing the fanboy/glee-club/bandwagon attitude that Mac users/anti-M$ types have, and would also elevate Apple from its "also-ran" status in the computer industry.
    hey guess what apple already tried that back in the 90s and it almost killed them. Apple's only gotten more popular/successful as a company since they killed the clones and trimmed their product line to a few distinct models.

As nice as it would be, I really doubt it will ever happen.

edit: I can also guarantee that if it were released for any generic hardware, OS X would cost way more than $150. MS gets away with charging $400 for Windows after all.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The $150 was just a figure I threw out. I'd gladly pay $600 for it.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MS gets away with charging $400 for Windows after all.
    Whaaa? Even Vista Ultimate was $270 at its peak. Home Premium Upgrade is $99 retail, and unless you're some crazy nut converting from Linux to Windows, you already have a copy of Windows to upgrade from.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    Whaaa? Even Vista Ultimate was $270 at its peak. Home Premium Upgrade is $99 retail, and unless you're some crazy nut converting from Linux to Windows, you already have a copy of Windows to upgrade from.
    I'm getting around $350 at Newegg for Ultimate here. And I was trying to make the fairest comparison possible (retail copy to retail copy; I'd try to differentiate between a particular version of Windows but there's only one version of OS X so...).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz
    The $150 was just a figure I threw out. I'd gladly pay $600 for it.
    Okay well then consider this, they even toss in a free computer with your copy of OS X