SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bigalreturns's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's another one just for the cuteness factor...one of my dogs snuggling one of my cats!
    "The proper function of man is to live - not to exist."
    Get a Free TomTom

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a honey bee suckling up some pollen from a nearby flower. I don't really like bees, so getting this close to take the shot was quite a feat!

They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love bees and respect them greatly for their role in pollination and for creating something so delicious (honey).

I Love Licorice silver trophybronze trophy Datura's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do as well. Unfortunately there is some disease that is killing off the honey bees in the US right now, massive kill. The honey here in Florida is delicious, orange blossom.
    Ulrike
    TUTs: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These are some really awesome photos, I really like that bee pic.

Of course some of the cat ones are really cute

Off Topic:

Bees I don't mind, they do a job worth doing, but there are other types of this insect (wasp) I really dislike

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops...I said it was a honey bee...it's a bumble bee. Sorry!
    I should also clarify a bit further. I like bees, spiders, etc... I don't like bee'ing so close to them. I get nervous, they sense it, and then they come after me. I was chased off twice before I got that picture.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know if this works with insects, but I found that you can get very close to critters if you cover your eyes, look through your fingers or the camera and move very easy and slow with pauses in between.

I get very close to birds by sort of shutting my eyes and just slowly opening them, but then close them again. Almost like hypnotizing them. That could come in handy for taking pictures. I have never had a need to do so, but it is worth a try.
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

A great way to hypnotise cats is to mimic their eye-blinks.. if they stare they are wondering what you are and what you're doing, if they blink , they are less concerned and you can match that by following their lead..

I think I read somewhere (bla) that cats use thier eyes as a communication device, much more so than dogs for example. I used to have long stare outs with my cat, and tried the mimic idea mentioned above.. worked untill he lost interest and probably thought to himself "what a loser, trying to win my affection with stupid eye movements.. I'm far too superior to fall for that trick.. I think i'll go over here.. that wall is far more interesting than this jerk"

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by armchaircritic View Post
    Off Topic:

A great way to hypnotise cats is to mimic their eye-blinks.. if they stare they are wondering what you are and what you're doing, if they blink , they are less concerned and you can match that by following their lead..

I think I read somewhere (bla) that cats use thier eyes as a communication device, much more so than dogs for example. I used to have long stare outs with my cat, and tried the mimic idea mentioned above.. worked untill he lost interest and probably thought to himself "what a loser, trying to win my affection with stupid eye movements.. I'm far too superior to fall for that trick.. I think i'll go over here.. that wall is far more interesting than this jerk"
    Off Topic:

To cats, staring is a sign of aggression. Eyeblinks are a sign of friendship and affection. Some cat lovers have also called them "cat kisses". If you try to "stare down" a cat and succeed, it just means that he/she finally decided that you were no threat to them.

Once, years ago, I had 'stare down' with a friend's kitten. When I couldn't get it to look away or blink, I barked. Just one "Woof!" took the cat off its seat and put it on top of my head.

Kittens have very sharp claws!
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    Off Topic:

To cats, staring is a sign of aggression. Eyeblinks are a sign of friendship and affection. Some cat lovers have also called them "cat kisses". If you try to "stare down" a cat and succeed, it just means that he/she finally decided that you were no threat to them.

Once, years ago, I had 'stare down' with a friend's kitten. When I couldn't get it to look away or blink, I barked. Just one "Woof!" took the cat off its seat and put it on top of my head.

Kittens have very sharp claws!
    Off Topic:

.. Yes, kittens do go a bit wild at times.. I agree with the sentiment that cats do not worry about you if they perceive you as unthreatening.. which is why blinking your eyes at a cat can often help show them your friendship, it goes both ways I think, if they blink, they couldn't care less, but if you do, they dont get more agressive, often I've found them to come over all lovely with you

Saying that this theory goes out the window as I wouldn't try it with a real 'cat' like a tiger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

i was always wondering about that cat eye contact; when i call my cat to come and she starts to walk towards me she stops and stares back if i look at her no matter how cuddly and warm my voice is, and when i look away she continues to walk towards me.

i also had a cat on the head episode lol, but it wasnt an aggressive encounter. This cat was going through her very playful phase; i was sitting in a chair minding my own business when i looked down at my feet and saw the cat staring at me, she was very focused on my face and her expression was incredibly playful like "im soooo gonna get you now" lol. And as soon as i looked at her before I could even utter uh-oh she jumped towards my head. The only thing i registered was a soft paw touch on my nose as she flew beside my head and jumped on the chair back

this little lady wasnt very happy to be center of attention, it was hard to get her in focus cos she was moving very fast

i was shooting some baby leaves on a tree when i spotted a few bugs on them being unusually still and letting me bring the camera very close. It was only when i came home and viewed the photos full size that i realized that those are just empty skins. A friend told me those are probably dragonfly larvae skins, he noticed the part on the back that most likely stored wings. Heres one of them:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    incredible marbly
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    wonderful photos marbly!

If you walk towards your cat while looking at it, it's both an act and sign of aggression to the cat.

Have you ever noticed your cat when she is happy? Her eyes narrow.

Have you ever noticed how wide her eyes get as she looks at a bird through the window or is batting at a toy on a string? That's because she is in her aggressive, predatory mode.

Here's one more -- in a room full of people, a cat will often go jump on the one person that is either allergic to cats or dislikes cats. The reason is simple. When people are pleased and feeling friendly, we tend to open our eyes wide. When we don't like something we narrow our eyes. This is the exact opposite for cats. So if you have an allergy to cats, the next time you are near one, open your eyes wide and it won't jump on you or probably even come near you (if you remember to blink!)

If you like cats, on meeting one for a first time, narrow your eyes and blink slowly a couple of times. You'll probably have a friend for life as long as you don't open your eyes wide when you think your new feline friend isn't looking.
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyflower View Post
    wonderful photos marbly!

If you walk towards your cat while looking at it, it's both an act and sign of aggression to the cat.

Have you ever noticed your cat when she is happy? Her eyes narrow.

Have you ever noticed how wide her eyes get as she looks at a bird through the window or is batting at a toy on a string? That's because she is in her aggressive, predatory mode.

Here's one more -- in a room full of people, a cat will often go jump on the one person that is either allergic to cats or dislikes cats. The reason is simple. When people are pleased and feeling friendly, we tend to open our eyes wide. When we don't like something we narrow our eyes. This is the exact opposite for cats. So if you have an allergy to cats, the next time you are near one, open your eyes wide and it won't jump on you or probably even come near you (if you remember to blink!)

If you like cats, on meeting one for a first time, narrow your eyes and blink slowly a couple of times. You'll probably have a friend for life as long as you don't open your eyes wide when you think your new feline friend isn't looking.
    That is true, I have tested that on my own cats, on stray cats, on friend's cats. If you want her to be friendly slit your own eyes or do not look at her straight at all. Looking into the cat's eye directly is like yelling at her.
    Ulrike

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    878 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post

How absolutely delightful.
    Ulrike

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    878 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    A rare peaceful moment.

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    A rare peaceful moment.
    Chico looks absolutely precious and of course Julio is gorgeous, too.
    Linda Jenkinson

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marbly
    Very cute. Nice Photo.

Houston, Tejas; Future Capital of the World
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Male gator during mating season doing the "Dancing Water" growl.

When the gators are trying to mate, they get very territorial and aggresive. They will also lift their front out of the water and then growl/vibrate. The vibrations are so strong that the water over their backs starts "popping" or "dancing". You can also feel the vibrations of the bank/ground 20 feet away from the guys.

This particular guy is about 12-14 feet long. I spent several days (8 actually) trying to capture this behaviour.

Brian Poirier
    SunStockPhoto: Stock Photos, Fine Art Photos, Event Photography

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That gator is amazing! I happen to have seen a snippet yesterday on this very behavior. They had two man with tubas produce the low sounds that the alligators in mating season use. Those bulls got mighty agitated, and like you say, the water jumps up on their back.

What a shot
    Ulrike

Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelsun View Post
    Male gator during mating season doing the "Dancing Water" growl.

Awesome gator Brian!
    Linda Jenkinson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you know I don't just take pics of my cat. Some birds.

A Great Horned owl that sometimes hangs out on our chimney:

Some birds we saw in California. Like how that guy posed on that branch for me?

And a couple of seagulls:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    nice pictures surely, I especially like the ones of the birds in-flight.

What bird is it in your third picture?

Andy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The gulls are great, the way they ride the wind close to the ground and stand still in the air. Great picture surely.
    Ulrike