SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that I have a pretty useful site for Macintosh people like myself, and I am getting the traffic, acording to my stats program on my server, but no one uses anything I have to offer on the site and I don't know why. I had a newsletter that I discontinued because of lack of subscribers, a forum is available, and a webring to join. I thought all of that stuff was popular. Here's my site so you can see what I am doing wrong: www.mac-syndicate.com

[This message has been edited by jazzman (edited January 23, 2000).]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, for a start, you're throwing a lot of your visitors away on your very first page. You will be insulting anybody who does not us Netscape or IE, and anybody who isn't running at 800x600 or higher. Take that statement off!

Also, on the welcome page, you start straight out telling people of the problems with your site!! Just dump the first paragraph altogether. Don't let them know.

Try separating your navigation menu a bit. It's hard to see what's there; it's all bunched together in a big mess. Don't be afraid to space it out!

My final tip is to update your site a bit more often, even if it's just a new paragraph of text added. After all, Jan. 2nd is years ago in Internet terms.

If you do all that your visitors should be impressed!

------------------
    Daniel Irvine
    f-free - Free Stuff and Freebies!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I have been worried about the design a little bit. I am working on a new navigation scheme in which I have the bar on the left hand side in categories with drop down sub-menus. That should make it less cluttered and easier to navigate. And about insulting people on the first page, I never thought of that. I would be insulted if I was using something else. Well, at least my site isn't a total flop, I guess. Thank you again.

------------------
    Mac designer's Heaven!
    Mac Syndicate.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you wish to continue this thread please post a site review in the web site review forum. make sure though that you review 3 other sites first.

------------------
    Eric Jones - WR Moderator / Administrator
    http://www.computermoles.com
    "Digging up the best in computer software!"