SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 333
  1. #101
    SitePoint Zealot t0WL337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario!
    Posts
    149
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use both firefox and opera. Opera I use when I am just browsing the web and doing basic things. It is much faster for my pretty crappy pc. Less ram usage is good.

    I use firefox for its add ons such as tamper data, no script, ie tab, etc for when I am testing my own websites for various security and compatibility issues.
    <3php && SitePoint ?>

  2. #102
    Non-Member DelvarWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Baloney
    Posts
    341
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera. It's very fast, which is important to me. Even with the simple things like page scrolling, Opera scrolls pages smoother than Firefox or IE (its fastest scrolling speed is also faster than FF's, but that's trivial). Everything just feels better than in Firefox.

    It does have a few downsides though. As mentioned, it doesn't do well with a lot of javascript. Clicking on a front page story on **** for example is horrendous because every single comment has its own javscript properties. **** loads much faster in Firefox and IE7 than in Opera.

    Opera also really doesn't have much in the way of add-ons. I'm surprised how little there is actually. The Opera Developer tool is nice but it's an embarassment compared to FireBug.

    There are also not a lot of good skins for Opera. I don't really know why this is, but most of the skins in the database are really nasty looking.

    Would I switch to firefox? Never. But I do wish that Opera had some of the awesome add-ons that firefox does.

    Edit: hahahah DlGG IS A CENSORED WORD?! WHAT?!

  3. #103
    phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Silicon Valley
    Posts
    3,626
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me personally, I use the browsers that my users are using, because I need to see the websites in their eyes. I don't anyone that uses Opera on a regular basis.

  4. #104
    Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vgarcia View Post
    Ironically it's probably your extensions that are cauisng all the memory leaks/crashes. Most of the bugs in the core browser have been addressed and a lot of current problems are traced to badly written extensions.
    I've read that...

    I try to use as few extensions as possible because common sense would lead me to believe more code, more potential problems (especially from, in this case, such disparate sources).

    I still think it should crash less but I haven't run into with zero extensions in as long as I can remember. If I wasn't to use extensions but wanted Moz rendering, I might as well just use Camino (if on a Mac of course) no?

  5. #105
    SitePoint Wizard samsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    5,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    Yeah but that's the sites' fault, not Opera's
    I can appreciate that, but it doesn't matter once you put on the user hat.

    If whatever incompatibilities that exist in popular Javascript libraries were fixed to work with Opera, I suspect that problem would pretty much disappear.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

  6. #106
    ☆★☆★ silver trophy vgarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    in transition
    Posts
    21,235
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandaggio View Post
    I still think it should crash less but I haven't run into with zero extensions in as long as I can remember. If I wasn't to use extensions but wanted Moz rendering, I might as well just use Camino (if on a Mac of course) no?
    Yeah pretty much; Camino even has some functionality similar to Firefox extensions built-in (i.e. adblocking). Then again, I've never really had FF or Camino crash on me on my Macbook. Safari chokes on a couple of sites though, most notably really bad myspace profile pages.

  7. #107
    SitePoint Guru
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    406
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    If whatever incompatibilities that exist in popular Javascript libraries were fixed to work with Opera, I suspect that problem would pretty much disappear.
    Or if more developers wrote their own code and tested it properly, instead of relying on libraries ...

    But like you say, such issues are moot as a user. Still, when I come across a site that doesn't work in Opera, I curse them in my head and go somewhere else. Only once has a site been "special" enough (read: unique, no other site offers anything comparable) that I had to use a different browser to access it, and that was twitter - and of course I was straight onto them

  8. #108
    Floridiot joebert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Kenneth City, FL
    Posts
    823
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reasons I *don't* use opera.
    1. I'm not allowed to install it on a computer I'm working with



    Reasons I *do* use Opera.
    1. Mouse Gestures
    2. Per-site settings
    3. user.css
    4. user.js
    5. support for data: protocol, even in user.css (I can skin a site with new images and all, using base64 encoded images embedded directly in the CSS)
    6. support for the HTMLCanvas element
    7. Scripting usually makes available objects found in both IE & FF, for instance attachEvent & addEventListener
    8. Built in mail client
    9. I can make a simple config.xml file in the same location as an existing HTML file renamed to index.html, then open that xml file in Opera & have a Widget. Much easier than the hoops other browsers make me jump through
    10. Everything brothercake said about History
    11. The new "Speed Dial"
    12. Application used for "View Source" is configurable
    13. It's not targeted by the "darkside" yet because it's not used by enough people (sadly, I'll probably jump ship when this changes)

  9. #109
    SitePoint Addict GonzaloGM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Rosario, Argentina
    Posts
    213
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's because I tried Firefox first and I got used to it. I tried Opera a few times but I didn't like it too much (and I had some problems that I can't remember right now).

  10. #110
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tyssen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    4,067
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera for email (POP3 and webmail) and for browsing any links I open from my emails. (If only Yahoo Mail beta wasn't so glitchy with it.) I use Firefox for most of my browsing though.

  11. #111
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    35
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I simply love opera and I have been using it for some years now. I was ready to pay for the ad-free version but it became free before I did it.

    Believe it or not the best feature in Opera for me is the 1 and 2 behaviour. You can move to the tab on your left using 1 and to the tab on your right using 2. First of all I never found an extension for firefox to do that. Secondly the Opera reactions to such moves are blazing fast.

    Only thing I appreciate in Firefox is Firebug. So I keep using it for development.

  12. #112
    www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,063
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay I am not an expert as some of the guys above. I have tried my hands on Opera, Firefox, IE. Here is what I feel. I dropped IE the minute I saw opera. Then there was opera and opera alone. When I came here to SP...I saw that there were many people who were talking about FF, it's addons and all sorts of stuff. So I decided to give it a try. FF has crashed more number of times than Opera in my case. Sometimes it might be the problem with my computer but hey you asked for my opinion.

    So here is what I think OPERA RULES.
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

  13. #113
    SitePoint Enthusiast Chousho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    97
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simply put: customization.

    Firefox can be as barebones or as stock full of extensions as you want (see the thread about what extensions people are using), and each installation can be as different from the next (which is a double edged sword, but I haven't gotten cut once yet).


    However, my first taste of Opera was served with an ad, so that most likely didn't help. I still have Opera installed on my laptop, and decided to try one week on the laptop using only Opera (heaven forbid I go without Firefox on my desktop).

    Also,
    Desktop - Windows: Firefox
    Laptop - Fedora 7: Firefox, Opera

  14. #114
    Are You There? KDesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Your Monitor
    Posts
    1,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm another who likes my FF extensions too much to leave.

    Windows XP Tablet / Pro - Firefox 2+
    ChooseDaily.com - Follow on Twitter
    Top Resources for Web Designers and Developers Every Day!

  15. #115
    SitePoint Wizard samsm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Atlanta, GA, USA
    Posts
    5,011
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    Or if more developers wrote their own code and tested it properly, instead of relying on libraries ...
    The worst libraries out there are better than what developers generally come up with on their own.

    The solution is someone takes the MIT licensed library and submits a path that makes it better, or branches it.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

  16. #116
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    7
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use Opera because it doesn't play nice with Vista. It's also a bit too fancy for me - kinda like IE7. I want a web browser that does just that - browse the web. That's all.

  17. #117
    SitePoint Evangelist Unit7285's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    513
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use Opera because all my web stats tell me that practically no one else uses it either. So there's no point worrying about it from a business point of view.

    The Zoom feature is nifty, though.

    I develop with Firefox then tweak for IE, Windows XP.


    Paul

  18. #118
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to point out that Safari's mobile version for the iPhone is nothing in comparison to Opera Mobile. With Safari you have to zoom in and out and scroll all over. Maybe it has nice animation, but when it comes to ease of use in the end the mobile view of Opera Mobile puts all the web page's contents in a fixed width. You only have to scroll down.

    I also would like to point out that it is silly to discredit Opera for once having ads built into the browser. They do not know, so it is no reason not to use the browser.

    Personally, I do not like extensions. I have to install about twenty in order to have all the features I am use to in Opera. Then I have to go through with updating these when I upgrade to a major Firefox revision. Instead of just having it all there when I install it. The Web Developer's Toolbar in Firefox is a joke. It does not offer any useful functionality that I cannot already get in Opera.

    It does have a few downsides though. As mentioned, it doesn't do well with a lot of javascript. Clicking on a front page story on **** for example is horrendous because every single comment has its own javscript properties. **** loads much faster in Firefox and IE7 than in Opera.
    Opera has proven to load JavaScript faster in speed tests...

    I don't use Opera because it doesn't play nice with Vista. It's also a bit too fancy for me - kinda like IE7. I want a web browser that does just that - browse the web. That's all.
    This has been a long standing issue with Opera. However, Opera installations are not larger than Firefox. Plus all the extra features are neatly hidden away. If you just want to browse it is extremely easy to just ignore the rest of the features. Unlike with Firefox extensions, the extra features in Opera that you may not use do not suck your computer's resources.

  19. #119
    Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,424
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover View Post
    I would like to point out that Safari's mobile version for the iPhone is nothing in comparison to Opera Mobile. With Safari you have to zoom in and out and scroll all over.
    No you don't have to zoom all over - you can - it is assistive (more for if the phone is vertical, which it doesn't have to be).

    But you made me smile with your over the top statement, discrediting something you have yet to use .

    That is rich.

    Opera is great
    (this thread is a testament to that) - but other browsers improve too. Safari - in any flavor tried - is the real deal.

  20. #120
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No you don't have to zoom all over - you can - it is assistive (more for if the phone is vertical, which it doesn't have to be).
    I never said that you had to zoom all over. You have to *scroll all over*. Rather large different there... And unless you can read nearly super tiny print you are going to have to zoom in.

    Plus Apple has touted it as the first capable mobile browser...

    You are right, I have not used it (yet). However, from the demos and the footage made available the zooming features and such are nothing in comparison to simply reformatting the page to fit the device's screen so that zooming is not required. I do hope that it accepts mobile style sheets at least.

  21. #121
    SitePoint Zealot marbly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cos i use Firefox

    i really like being able to customize my browser the way i want it, and Firefox is the best for that, its what attracted me to switch from IE in the first place (years ago)

    if Opera reached that level of customization Id still use Firefox cos Im very familiar with it. I also respect Firefox as one of the best open source projects. Opera would have to come up with something more advanced (compared to FX) to make me consider switching to it full time.

  22. #122
    SitePoint Wizard
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    1,924
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering most people who have praised Firefox for being open source have failed to also provide their operating system, it causes me to raise the question if they even understand open source or if they are just spouting useless reitteration someone else told them...

  23. #123
    Are You There? KDesigns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Your Monitor
    Posts
    1,146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I posted earlier, I'm a FF user. Of course, I came across the new Netscape 9 today (which supports Firefox extensions).

    I'm getting sold on it because it has a "Link Pad" feature. With projects, I typically bookmark pages that I actually would not keep or use in the future. Sometimes this can cause my bookmarks to get a little messy. This "Link Pad" feature is just for this type of thing. With the support for Firefox extensions and a couple other neat features (like the mini-browser side bar)... I might just be switching over.
    ChooseDaily.com - Follow on Twitter
    Top Resources for Web Designers and Developers Every Day!

  24. #124
    SitePoint Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I merely dislike the user interface.

  25. #125
    The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,796
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover View Post
    therefore, I do not plan on countering any claims.
    I guess this thread isn't going to plan CL .


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •