Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cringer View Post
    Al right take it easy.

Just pointing out that Firefox enthusiast challenging Opera enthusiasts for being...... well... enthusiastic - is calling the kettle black.
    Ooops, you seem to have misunderstood... I didn't call him for being an enthusiast, I asked why, if Opera was so much better then Firefox, did it not have a larger market share then Firefox.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan Schultz comment is well-stated. Those Oreck vacuum cleaners are big and bulky, but clean like nothing else can. Unfortunately, I keep a pretty tidy ship, and don't need much more than a push broom.
    They say, "Practice makes perfect," yet they also say, "Nobody's perfect". I don't get it.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Immerse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same as many other people wrote: The Firebug and Developer Toolbar extensions - invaluable.

Opera comes a close second though. If I'm just surfing around or want to quickly find something, then I'll generally use Opera. If I'm writing code, I'll use Firefox though.

So... Firefox 2 on XP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used Opera for several months early this year.

The torrent feature never worked and it wasn't obvious to me how to override it, although I imagine it is possible.

I prefer moving to a the next right-most tab when closing a tab. Opera moves to the last tab you were on, which is clever, but none of the tab settings seemed to override it.

Zaskoda mentioned this, but I think it is a big enough reason to repeat: a lot of sites' AJAXy features choke in Opera.

That's what comes to mind.
    Using your unpaid time to add free content to SitePoint Pty Ltd's portfolio?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir2 View Post
    On Windows (big screen): opera
    Linux (laptop, small screen): firefox, because it takes less toolbar space, so I have more webpage space. I reconfigured it so there's only one bar now: url field in the menubar.
    If you want, you can remove _everything_ on the UI in Opera, including the tab bar, the menu bar, etc. And small screen you say? Did you know Opera has a neat built-in feature called "fit to width"? Basically, it removes unnecessary padding and margins from the view. You should try it.
    David Shamloo-Ekblad

Go Habs! | For music addicts: Last.fm, SongMeanings

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox is my default browser on both my PC and my Mac. As others have mentioned, it offers lots of cool extensions. In addition, Firefox itself is cool; it's open source and has a bit of an attitude. Google is promoting it as a way of taking market share away from IE, and I like that very much.

However, I also use Opera and Safari, though to a much lesser extent.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if Opera was so much better then Firefox, did it not have a larger market share then Firefox.
    You could ask the same thing about IE and Firefox. Firefox is better than IE in more ways than you can count. Howcome IE has more market share?

The reasons for market share do not really have to do with which browser is actually better. Mozilla is really good at marketing and branding stuff. Opera ... not so much.

The torrent feature never worked and it wasn't obvious to me how to override it, although I imagine it is possible.
    Yes, Preferences -> Files and you'll see .torrent in the list of file types and you can change how Opera reacts.

1. Keychain integration
    2. Text just plain looks nicer on Safari than it does in Opera/Firefox
    3. Better default interface. Yes Opera has skins but the default one doesn't have to suck so much. First impressions do matter.
    All valid reasons. These are my main gripes with Opera on Mac. However, I do not like how text shows up in Safari, but that's just me. I have an Opera skin that makes it look like Safari...

Q: Why do you not use Opera
    A: My clients do not use Opera
    What about your clients' clients?

---

I would also like to point out that in numerous tests Opera has nearly always performed faster on Windows than any of the other browsers. (http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/browserSpeed.html)

Just a point and why I am considering most claims that Opera is slow to be invalid or slanted.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why I use Opera.

It's all there. I wrote a blog post on it. To sum up:

• Faster startup and usage speeds
    • Mouse gestures, much more innovative
    • Plenty of interesting and innovative features, e.g. Speed Dial, that competitors could only DREAM of thinking of

But as I mention, FF is superior for development...

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No RoboForm Integration - Unfortunately Opera's wand just doesn't cut it for me.

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover View Post
    You could ask the same thing about IE and Firefox. Firefox is better than IE in more ways than you can count. Howcome IE has more market share?
    Because Windows is the largest OS and enforces IE on its users? Whereas Firefox and Opera are on a level playing field.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Gulag View Post
    I second this. There are several things I do with FF extensions that (as far as I know) cannot be done with Opera.
    I third it. FF has the perfect extensions for me.
    Discover the Divine Truth - NOW blogging
    tino-designs.com integrates the usability of the internet
    with the illustration and style of design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Firefox and Opera on XP. I have a lot of issues with Firefox -- I find Opera is faster, has a smaller memory footprint, is better at restoring sessions,

I do have some complaints with Opera. I think Firefox has better control over the environment -- layout, privacy settings, etc. And I don't really like the Toolbar management too much. And as far as extensions, Firefox is vastly superior in terms of variety, focus, and management.

The number one reason I use Firefox over Opera or IE, though:
    The Firebug Extension. It is a web developer's dream-come-true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iTechno View Post
    Whereas Firefox and Opera are on a level playing field.
    Depends on the market. Opera owns over both MS and Mozilla in the mobile space.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Windows is the largest OS and enforces IE on its users? Whereas Firefox and Opera are on a level playing field.
    Says who? I think that Firefox is overhyped by the media, giving it an unfair advantage over Opera. Plus Mozilla stems from Netscape, a once prominent web browser. The fact that Opera had to once charge for a registration (ad-free) to raise funds while Firefox had a lot of companies pouring money into it is something to look at too.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used one of the early versions years ago and wasn't impressed. I thought I'd never use it again. It just didn't render pages properly at all or have any sort of support for any complex pages.

Used the latest version recently in Poland and it was pretty decent. I still don't think I'll use it though to be honest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by charmedlover View Post
    If you use Opera please feel free to explain briefly the main reason that you use Opera.
    I read a comment by a knowledgeable guy in a forum I participate in saying that Opera is the only browser that passed Acid2 test, so I was astonished something would be better than Firefox in regard of web-standards.

When I downloaded & installed it, I got completely flirted by it's elegance & slickness, but the underlying features were even more elegant & slick.

One great feature that is of special importance to me, & never implemented by any other browser, is Opera's ability to correctly display Arabic characters in the query string of URIs (& addresses in general). For example check the Arabic version of Wikipedia. Opera would display the main page as:

http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/الصفحة_الرئيسية

Whereas every other browser I know of display it as:

http://ar.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D8%A7%...B3%D9%8A%D8%A9

converting Arabic characters to ASCII code (I guess), which of course looks so ugly & makes mod_rewrite & SEO techniques completely useless.

If Firebug is ported to work on Opera, I would seriously consider switching to Opera as my main development environment.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I first downloaded Opera when it was still an pay-for ad-centric browser. That turned me off, and then firefox kept me tied in with amazing extensions!

Simsim, I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 and my address bar shows me the arabic characters...
    Codyrobert.com - Designer and Developer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by codyrockx View Post
    Simsim, I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 and my address bar shows me the arabic characters...
    I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 too. I checked out all settings but there's no relevant option to control language of the address bar!
    Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Einstein

SitePoint Evangelist superuser2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have it too (though admittedly an old version, which I upgraded). It's definitely improved itself but I still think Firefox is better because of the extendability factor, and that so many sites are designed for either IE or Firefox but not so much Opera. And Opera "botched itself" quick-replying to this thread so I'm writing back from Firefox.

Barefoot on the Moon! silver trophy Force Flow's Avatar
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I started using Opera as my primary browser with version 5. Basically, it had features I was looking for (tabs, for instance, before tabs were in vouge), it was fast (started up and loaded pages quickly), the forward and back buttons worked instantly (unlike other browsers at the time).

Overall, I just liked the way things were put together and the way they worked. And they have kept working for me since then, so I saw no reason to change (being a web developer, I do have to get my feet wet in the other common browsers, so it's not a matter of a lack of exposure).

SitePoint Enthusiast lotrgamemast's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I don't like is that Firefox could block every ad between AdBlock and custom Greasemonkey scripts. If such a thing exists for Opera, where?
    Right click the page -> Block Content -> Click on the adverts you want to block. Simple!

Ive been using Opera since verion 7 i think, its now on 9.2. Since i started using it there have been many massive, and noticable, improvments. Ive also had firefox installed for a similar amount of time, and even after a change from 1.x to 2.x i cant see that much of a difference in version. No improvement and very little inovation. Mozilla simply rely on third parties to extend the browser and make it usable and working, which really isnt what I want in a browser at all; i want it to work without fear of it failing at the next upgrade.

That being said i cant get by without firebug for javascript stuff. Opera Dev console is ok for looking at DOM and things like that but i really cant compete with firebug at all.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started using FireFox approximately 1-2 years ago. Prior to that I always used IE6. I switched to FireFox as my main browser for several reasons: I was quite impressed with the Thunderbird email software, I like the tab option (IE6 did not have that) and FireFox was becoming an increasingly popular browser (I like to see things as my site visitors see them.

So, at this point, FireFox is my main/regular use browser. Opera is my secondary browser. I only use IE anymore just to check design compatibility.

I suppose I don't use Opera as my main simply because I haven't spent as much time on it for me to gain a preference towards the software. The new speed dial feature in Opera is very nice and useful, by the way.
    For HTML Help visit: HTML Help Central
    For Graphic Design help visit: GFXVoid.com
    If you're a GEEK then go where geeks go....

Brevity is greatly overrated brandaggio's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    (And .. btw and slightly ot .. Opera Mobile is the *only* decent mobile browser. Pocket IE is just IE4 on a small screen, while Minimo [the mobile version of firefox] is laughably bad - worse than Pocket IE!)
    The version of Safari that is shipping with the iPhone may give Opera for mobiles a run for its money - and it's a good thing - competition in the mobile browser space.

I like Opera fine - but for troubleshooting and debugging I lean on my Firefox extensions a bit.

I do not like Firefox's instability
    - if it weren't for extensions I would probably not use at all. Even on a box with lots of RAM it still leaks and crashes quite a few times a day - it gets tedious to restore your session when it shouldn't have conked out in the first place.

If more sites rendered as the designer intended (cosmetically) in Opera, I would be much more gung ho about it, but most sites aren't that well built so they can fall apart in Opera a bit. I want to love Opera, but not enough sites love it back. That is why it is not my choice for best all around browser for daily chores.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by samsm View Post
    a lot of sites' AJAXy features choke in Opera.
    Yeah but that's the sites' fault, not Opera's

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandaggio View Post
    I do not like Firefox's instability[/I] - if it weren't for extensions I would probably not use at all. Even on a box with lots of RAM it still leaks and crashes quite a few times a day - it gets tedious to restore your session when it shouldn't have conked out in the first place.
    Ironically it's probably your extensions that are cauisng all the memory leaks/crashes. Most of the bugs in the core browser have been addressed and a lot of current problems are traced to badly written extensions.