SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firefox is Open Source, Opera isn't. Thats the only reason I use Firefox over Opera. I have never used the source code but I am an avid supporter of Open Source software.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just because it's not open source doesn't mean it's not any good. I support open source software too, but if I'm given something for free (as in beer), I won't turn it down on the basis that it's not open-source.

But that's another discussion for another thread.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaryD View Post
    On a per-site basis.
    Here's what you do:

• Visit the site in question in Opera
    • Go to Tools > Quick preferences > Edit site preferences

And there you are - a customization dialog for all the features you can modify on a per-site basis, including cookie handling.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off Topic:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Just because it's not open source doesn't mean it's not any good.
    More to the point - commercially driven software is usually better than open-source, for obvious reasons - it takes time and effort to iron out a slick professional product, and in the OS community there's no tangible incentive to walk that extra mile (especially if you can just wave your hand and say "oh, a plugin will fix that" )

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera, and here's why:
    • It's available for multiple platforms, so I can use it on Linux at home and on Windows at work, and it looks and works the same. I even use it on my mobile (Opera Mini).
    • It's got tons of useful features for a web developer, especially since The Developer Console came out.
    • It's got tons of useful features for a web user (site preferences, UserJS, spatial navigation, Notes, Widgets, custom Panels, mouse gestures, ...)
    • It's very standards compliant; if it works in Opera I've probably done it right.
    • It's fast, it's secure, it's stable, it's got a small memory footprint and it's still small enough to download upgrades over dial-up.
    • It's fully configurable.
    • I don't have to download and maintain dozens of extension to get a working browser, and I don't have to worry that those extensions stop working when I upgrade my browser.
    • It's not open source. I don't have anything against open source ... on the contrary, but Opera's developers really listen to their users. If you report a bug, they'll fix it. Quickly.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    Here's what you do:

And there you are - a customization dialog for all the features you can modify on a per-site basis, including cookie handling.
    They made it even simpler.
    Just right-click on the web page and the Edit site preferences...
    is right there to adjust to your preference.

<code></code><WoW></WoW> nukeemusn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't use Opera as my primary browser becasue of the following:

+ I use FF2 for all my development work, and lately, I've been doing development work just about EVERY time I've been at my computer...
    + It took me forever to switch from IE to FF (because I"m resistant to change in my daily life..I'm already seeing a shrink...), and I don't know if I"m ready to switch to Opera for my personal use.

That being said, I do LIKE opera, and as was stated before, Opera Mini is THE only worthwhile mobile browser. All others are pale imitations.
    My Blog
    The Obsidian Order - WoW Guild on US-Nagrand
    nukeemusn = Nuclear Electricians Mate US Navy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only use it for testing the sites I create to make sure they work well in Opera, so why don´t I use it myself? Because a lot of sites don´t test it in Opera, and the designs fails, that´s why IE and Firefox are my main browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I switched from Opera to FF after I started developing heavily. The only reason was because FF was more popular and it made more sense to design for FF first.

But I agree with what was said above. If a site's been done right it'll work in Opera without any tweaking. That's what I love about it. Just wish it had a wider user-base.

Now I don't want to switch browsers because all my passwords and settings are stored in FF for convenience.
    Winners Respond. Losers React.
    Singapore Web Designer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera, but not all the time.

The main reason for this is probably 2 (two) firefox extensions

1. FireBug
    2. Developer Toolbar.

I use the Opera developer console, but it doesn't offer everything I need like Firebug does.
    And so I got lost in code...completely asphyxiated by it...

Premium WordPress plugins - Tribulant Software

The Mind's I ® silver trophy Dark Tranquility's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Opera, but my favorite one is FF, I just like the myriad of extensions and themes available and that helps both navigation and web development, I feel just very comfortable with it and it gives me the feeling it is highly customizable and that’s my very own browser!!
    This been said Opera 9.2 is really cool too!

SitePoint Enthusiast jpatterson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just been using Firefox for so long it's actually hard to get used to another browser. Like for example, now in Firefox my address bar says "http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=483778&page=2"

now, if I click it, the whole address is highlighted so I can delete it if I want, BUT if I double click the address, the word or section I double click is highlighted. So, if I click the address bar, and then double click on "forums" only that is highlighted, so I can change just that bit.

In Opera, clicking on the address bar only seems to highlight the whole address rather than a portion of it.

Now I'm not trying to say omg this is terrible why can't it be the same as Firefox, it's just that I'm so used to how Firefox works - right down to tiny little details like these - that it's just too much hassle to change. I'm sure Opera is a great browser but to be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered to try to get used to it. I would think there are quite a few people in the same boat.

The I's for intelligent silver trophy iTechno's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 reasons (sorry it's not one ).

1)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatterson View Post
    I've just been using Firefox for so long it's actually hard to get used to another browser.
    2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
    I like the extensions I use with Firefox too much to switch to Opera. I use FF 2 and Windows XP.
    H.T.H

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatterson View Post
    now, if I click it, the whole address is highlighted so I can delete it if I want, BUT if I double click the address, the word or section I double click is highlighted. So, if I click the address bar, and then double click on "forums" only that is highlighted, so I can change just that bit.
    Opera will give you that identical behavior too, but that's OS GUI behavior, it should be the same in any browser.

Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Opera's developers really listen to their users. If you report a bug, they'll fix it. Quickly.
    That's a very good point, and very true - every time I've reported an Opera bug it's been fixed, or if not, I've had a good explanation for why not. Conversely, when I've reported mozilla bugs I've been either ignored, or my arguments pissily dismissed with sneers of "you don't understand"

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Opera is the best! The wand is the best tool there... however if we had a google toolbar for opera... then it would have ruled the online world.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've reminded me of another awesome feature - configurable address bar searching.

So I can type "g search terms" to search google, but I've also configured "w" for wikipedia, "d" for dictionary.com, "p" for php.net, "a" for amazon, "f" for flickr, "i" for imdb ...

And what about "paste and go" - so simple, yet so neat

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that feature is great, just like the built-in BitTorrent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use opera because
    1. its really fast
    2. The back button works instantaneously
    3. It renders just like Firefox for the most part, so any layout I do in Opera will usually look exactly the same as firefox.
    4. The magic wand feature (click a button to login to your favorite sites).
    5. Small memory footprint ... I got tired of seeing FF take 200-300mb of my ram.
    6. you can search straight from the tool bar so something like "a PHP" will search Amazon.com for PHP books right from the url

SitePoint Evangelist superuser2's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least the last time I checked Opera for Mac expected to run with the computer's whole screen and looked funny smaller. This is totally unacceptable because I need to quickly switch between Code, FTP, and a Browser when doing web development.

The rendering is also a bit different the Firefox (I think?).

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Opera for Mac, superuser2, and do not experience that problem? Opera behaves like every other window (well sorta, the green button ... but that's not Opera specific).

Firefox rendering is different because it is not as standards compliant. For the most part though it renders the same as Opera, considering you follow standards. Firefox supports a few non-standardised CSS3 selectors.

So I can type "g search terms" to search google, but I've also configured "w" for wikipedia, "d" for dictionary.com, "p" for php.net, "a" for amazon, "f" for flickr, "i" for imdb ...
    This is probably one of my favourite features. I have so many configured. Don't forget y for youtube.

Opera kommer fr&#229;n Norge ocks&#229;.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I user FF mainly and sometimes IE (for sites that don't work well on FF).

Reason: I'm too conservative and don't have the time/patience to download and get myself familiar with a new browser.
    My Web Publishing Blog: B6S.net - I dofollow but don't spam!
    Follow me on Twitter
    My favorite content writer:
    Steve Snedeker

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's retarded.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Opera installed, but don't use it very often. Just when Firefox botches itself
    “There's a way to do it better - find it.”
    — Thomas Edison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brothercake View Post
    Here's what you do:

That's what I meant I was doing when I said a per-site basis, but only in reference to javascript, since the popup requester takes care of cookie settings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that's a good question
    opera doesn't get much attention from everyone
    I downloaded it just for the sake of testing sites on it
    I'll try using it sometime

what do you guys think of opera overall in comparison to Mozilla FF?
    Now up and running!
    Enzyme Online | Professional and Affordable Web Design